Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2020, 10:13 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2020
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MoiM is on a distinguished road
Breeding HELP...!

Hey guys. I am new here. I have a pair of cockatiels that I house outdoors. I cover their cage at night, anyways, They had a clutch of eggs a few months ago. One baby hatched but they let it die like a day or two later. Then about a month later I believe they had a second clutch of eggs and there was a newborn too & they also let it die after a day or two. A few days later they had two newborns and they let them die too after a day or two. Same as last year, they had a clutch of eggs with only one hatched & they let it die a day or two after. Fast forward to NOW. An egg hatched yesterday & a few hours or by today the baby was dead. Right now I hear another baby bird in the nest that I believe hatched today. What am I doing wrong? This pair of cockatiels that I have are new parents, I'm thinking they don't have experience in feeding or being parents. Are they not keeping the newborns warm and or are they not feeding the newborns? the nest that I have is a 12"x12" box with wood chips in it. What should I do? I am told not to disturb the parents or the newborns and I should avoid looking in the nest, if that's the case how am I going to know if the parents are going to feed the newborns. It's not like if I am looking in there constantly throughout the day. I just check on it maybe once a day. I do not have an incubator or I don't know how to hand-feed newborn cockatiels. Any advice that you guys can give me? I hope they don't let this new one die. I've been trying for the last 3 years to breed cockatiels without any luck. Thanks
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoiM For This Useful Post:
LaManuka  (06-13-2020)
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2020, 10:29 PM
Txcockatielguy's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
11 cockatiels and 2 sun conures
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dublin Texas
Thanks: 63
Thanked 271 Times in 76 Posts
Txcockatielguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Breeding HELP...!

How old are the parents? It sounds like there not old enough to breed. I was told by our vet the female for sure needs to be at least 18 months old. I don't know who told you that you couldn't check in on the babies or parents but that's baloney! I just had a clutch and starting cleaning there nest box about three days after the last chick hatched. I would also suggest you bring these birds inside where you can keep a CLOSE eye on them. That's far too many lost chicks. If the parents refuse to feed then something is wrong and I would consult a vet.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Txcockatielguy For This Useful Post:
LaManuka  (06-13-2020), MoiM (06-13-2020)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2020, 10:40 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2020
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MoiM is on a distinguished road
Re: Breeding HELP...!

Quote: Originally Posted by Txcockatielguy View Post
How old are the parents? It sounds like there not old enough to breed. I was told by our vet the female for sure needs to be at least 18 months old. I don't know who told you that you couldn't check in on the babies or parents but that's baloney! I just had a clutch and starting cleaning there nest box about three days after the last chick hatched. I would also suggest you bring these birds inside where you can keep a CLOSE eye on them. That's far too many lost chicks. If the parents refuse to feed then something is wrong and I would consult a vet.
I know the mother is at least about 3 years old. the dad possibly more. They are old enough to breed. Yeah, I dunno what's going on. is it maybe because I am always sitting near the cage & I am always there keeping them company throughout the day sometimes about 10-15 mins tops at a time. Maybe they feel unsafe with someone always visiting them for a bit? I am just confused on why they are dying. Wondering if they are not keeping the newborns warm or are they not feeding them. I am on the central coast in California & the weather at night is still in the low 60 degrees.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2020, 08:53 AM
Txcockatielguy's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
11 cockatiels and 2 sun conures
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dublin Texas
Thanks: 63
Thanked 271 Times in 76 Posts
Txcockatielguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Breeding HELP...!

That's a problem right there. 60 degrees is not warm enough for new born chicks. Have you brought them inside the house yet? There is nothing wrong with you keeping a close eye on them and that shouldn't effect them taking care of the chicks.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2020, 01:18 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2020
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MoiM is on a distinguished road
Re: Breeding HELP...!

Quote: Originally Posted by Txcockatielguy View Post
That's a problem right there. 60 degrees is not warm enough for new born chicks. Have you brought them inside the house yet? There is nothing wrong with you keeping a close eye on them and that shouldn't effect them taking care of the chicks.
Thanks I’ll bring them indoors. Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2020, 05:21 PM
MonicaMc's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994; Cockatiel - Casey 2001; Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Join Date: Sep 2012
Thanks: 2,867
Thanked 4,817 Times in 3,049 Posts
MonicaMc is on a distinguished road
Re: Breeding HELP...!

Possible issues....

1.) They are outside - you don't know what could be visiting them and upsetting them when you aren't around

2.) They are inexperienced

3.) They are your only pair


My recommendation? Stop trying to breed them and remove the box. If you are unable to intervene to attempt to save the lives of little birds, please don't breed them.
__________________
The Earth is not flat and the Sun does not revolve around the Earth. Don't be afraid to question what you learn. In doing so, you may discover a greater truth. ~Mc
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonicaMc For This Useful Post:
Cam1961 (06-14-2020), LaManuka  (06-14-2020)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2020
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MoiM is on a distinguished road
Re: Breeding HELP...!

Quote: Originally Posted by MonicaMc View Post
Possible issues....

1.) They are outside - you don't know what could be visiting them and upsetting them when you aren't around

2.) They are inexperienced

3.) They are your only pair


My recommendation? Stop trying to breed them and remove the box. If you are unable to intervene to attempt to save the lives of little birds, please don't breed them.
Thanks for the tips
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2020, 06:04 PM
LaManuka's Avatar
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Fang (9yo (ab)normal grey cockatiel), HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly (purple-crowned lorikeet gotcha date 28 Oct 2018) & Valentino (budgie, gotcha date 14 Feb 2019 at approx 6mo)
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia
Thanks: 9,338
Thanked 12,366 Times in 3,235 Posts
LaManuka is on a distinguished road
Re: Breeding HELP...!

I would also have to suggest you stop trying to breed from this pair. Some birds, like some people, just don’t make very good parents, and the continual egg-laying may be quite detrimental to your hen’s health. I think both your birds you need a break
__________________


"Words speak us more than we speak them.” Hercule Poirot (He may be fictional, but he’s my favourite “Belgian upstart”!)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LaManuka For This Useful Post:
MoiM (06-14-2020)
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2020, 06:06 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2020
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MoiM is on a distinguished road
Re: Breeding HELP...!

Quote: Originally Posted by LaManuka View Post
I would also have to suggest you stop trying to breed from this pair. Some birds, like some people, just don’t make very good parents, and the continual egg-laying may be quite detrimental to your hen’s health. I think both your birds you need a break

Sounds good thank u for the tips
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoiM For This Useful Post:
LaManuka  (06-14-2020)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels

Tags
breeding, cockatiels

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP, Keep my CAG's from breeding FunnyFarmAK Breeding/Raising Parrots 10 10-14-2015 01:17 PM
Sex and breeding strudel Budgies/Parakeets 12 03-22-2014 12:41 AM
breeding Oopisy Conures 2 06-06-2013 04:53 PM
breeding gemini84 Questions and Answers 0 02-02-2013 04:24 PM
How is your bird different during breeding/not breeding season? Featheredsamurai Cockatoos 4 08-12-2012 10:32 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.