Breeding HELP...!

MoiM

Jun 13, 2020
Hey guys. I am new here. I have a pair of cockatiels that I house outdoors. I cover their cage at night, anyways, They had a clutch of eggs a few months ago. One baby hatched but they let it die like a day or two later. Then about a month later I believe they had a second clutch of eggs and there was a newborn too & they also let it die after a day or two. A few days later they had two newborns and they let them die too after a day or two. Same as last year, they had a clutch of eggs with only one hatched & they let it die a day or two after. Fast forward to NOW. An egg hatched yesterday & a few hours or by today the baby was dead. Right now I hear another baby bird in the nest that I believe hatched today. What am I doing wrong? This pair of cockatiels that I have are new parents, I'm thinking they don't have experience in feeding or being parents. Are they not keeping the newborns warm and or are they not feeding the newborns? the nest that I have is a 12"x12" box with wood chips in it. What should I do? I am told not to disturb the parents or the newborns and I should avoid looking in the nest, if that's the case how am I going to know if the parents are going to feed the newborns. It's not like if I am looking in there constantly throughout the day. I just check on it maybe once a day. I do not have an incubator or I don't know how to hand-feed newborn cockatiels. Any advice that you guys can give me? I hope they don't let this new one die. I've been trying for the last 3 years to breed cockatiels without any luck. Thanks

Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
13 cockatiels 2 sun conures
How old are the parents? It sounds like there not old enough to breed. I was told by our vet the female for sure needs to be at least 18 months old. I don't know who told you that you couldn't check in on the babies or parents but that's baloney! I just had a clutch and starting cleaning there nest box about three days after the last chick hatched. I would also suggest you bring these birds inside where you can keep a CLOSE eye on them. That's far too many lost chicks. If the parents refuse to feed then something is wrong and I would consult a vet.

OP
M

MoiM

Jun 13, 2020
How old are the parents? It sounds like there not old enough to breed. I was told by our vet the female for sure needs to be at least 18 months old. I don't know who told you that you couldn't check in on the babies or parents but that's baloney! I just had a clutch and starting cleaning there nest box about three days after the last chick hatched. I would also suggest you bring these birds inside where you can keep a CLOSE eye on them. That's far too many lost chicks. If the parents refuse to feed then something is wrong and I would consult a vet.

I know the mother is at least about 3 years old. the dad possibly more. They are old enough to breed. Yeah, I dunno what's going on. is it maybe because I am always sitting near the cage & I am always there keeping them company throughout the day sometimes about 10-15 mins tops at a time. Maybe they feel unsafe with someone always visiting them for a bit? I am just confused on why they are dying. Wondering if they are not keeping the newborns warm or are they not feeding them. I am on the central coast in California & the weather at night is still in the low 60 degrees.

Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
13 cockatiels 2 sun conures
That's a problem right there. 60 degrees is not warm enough for new born chicks. Have you brought them inside the house yet? There is nothing wrong with you keeping a close eye on them and that shouldn't effect them taking care of the chicks.

OP
M

MoiM

Jun 13, 2020
That's a problem right there. 60 degrees is not warm enough for new born chicks. Have you brought them inside the house yet? There is nothing wrong with you keeping a close eye on them and that shouldn't effect them taking care of the chicks.

Thanks Iā€™ll bring them indoors. Thank you

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Possible issues....

1.) They are outside - you don't know what could be visiting them and upsetting them when you aren't around

2.) They are inexperienced

3.) They are your only pair

My recommendation? Stop trying to breed them and remove the box. If you are unable to intervene to attempt to save the lives of little birds, please don't breed them.

OP
M

MoiM

Jun 13, 2020
Possible issues....

1.) They are outside - you don't know what could be visiting them and upsetting them when you aren't around

2.) They are inexperienced

3.) They are your only pair

My recommendation? Stop trying to breed them and remove the box. If you are unable to intervene to attempt to save the lives of little birds, please don't breed them.

Thanks for the tips

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I would also have to suggest you stop trying to breed from this pair. Some birds, like some people, just donā€™t make very good parents, and the continual egg-laying may be quite detrimental to your henā€™s health. I think both your birds you need a break :)

OP
M

MoiM

Jun 13, 2020
I would also have to suggest you stop trying to breed from this pair. Some birds, like some people, just donā€™t make very good parents, and the continual egg-laying may be quite detrimental to your henā€™s health. I think both your birds you need a break :)

Sounds good thank u for the tips

Most Reactions

Latest posts