Pellet converting help!

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
1 cockatiel named pikachu^^
Hi everyone! I just got a cockatiel around a week ago. When we got him/her (she/he is now 7 weeks old and fully weaned) she was on a seed-only diet. We are trying to convert him/her to a pellet diet (Tropican lifetime formula mixed with ZuPreem FruitBlend pellets) Do you have any tips?

:grey: pikachu :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Here are my centuries-old thoughts/advice on pellets.
Good for you, for dedicating yourself to this!!!!!!!!!!! It's so worth it. The Rb has eaten Harrison's for 30+ yeas, and I really believe it has helped him stay young!

I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.
Another couple of ideas...
My ol' man is an athlete and health nut. He actually EATS all the good stuff, so it's always around. I find that tossing various stuff into the food bowls at random is good... the variations and differences seem to stimulate curiosity and attention.
The other idea... if you can stand it (lol) EAT the stuff in front of the birds, yes. That encourages them. I have also found that if my ol' man eats stuff in front of the bird, the bird WANTS it for himself. Kinda a rivalry thing!
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/

Good luck!

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
I'm in the same boat as you at the moment with mine. Both are dedicated seed junkies. I've tried the straight swap method which has been a total failure. They would rather starve themselves than switch straight over. Unlike my Kakariki who took about 3 seconds.

I am trying a 50/50 mix of seed and pellet which I will slowly reduce until it's 100% pellets.

Another idea is to soften the pellets in hot water to make a sticky paste. Mix seed with the paste so they have to taste the pellet mix to get seed.

Also from my experience with Cockatiels they aren't the greatest sweet tooths around and don't tend to like fruit all that much. Are the pellets fruit flavoured at all? If so it may be worth looking at another type. Your 'tiel could just be a little fussy. I know mine are.

OP
birbsRcool

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hello,

The brands are tropican lifetime formula and zupreem fruitblend. I put one up to his/her beak and he puts it in his mouth, licks it, grinds a bit, and spits it out. :grey:

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Sounds like your bird is still working out that they are food. At 7 weeks they are still learning and exploring. It may take several days before your bird has that light bulb moment and realises that pellets are food.

All you can do is have a LOT of patience and keep trying.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
If all else fails, you can smash the pellets into a powder in a mortar and pestle and sprinkle it over their existing food. This means they can’t avoid eating them and they have a chance to become accustomed to the taste. Ultimately you can then gradually substitute more solid pellets into the mix. I did this with a very stubborn cockatiel who had resisted all other attempts at conversion and it worked a treat!

OP
birbsRcool

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Thanks! I'll try those methods. I can't take the regular pellets out of the fruit ones , we already mixed them-

Is it alright if he picks up leftovers and crumbs off the floor? He does that ALL the time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts