Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Macaws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2020, 08:33 PM
Parrots:
B&G Macaw
tfw is on a distinguished road
Re: Clumsy ripped a nail :(

My poor girl and I thought the only thing I had to protect her from was damaging her wing more while it grew back!

But she's so freaking resilient!!! No matter the pain or how much she jumps or falls, she STILL stays so sweet and trusting!

Thanks for reminding me about cauterizing. I seriously HATE taking her back to clip it but she just seems more uncomfortable with it dangling. Im eager to talk to the vet.

Oh and side note about infection. The vet says he has rarely seen a toenail injury resulting in infection. Not inpossible but he says it is not easily infected.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tfw For This Useful Post:
Flboy Supporting Member (07-04-2020), noodles123 (07-03-2020)
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
Parrots:
B&G Macaw

It's times like these when you know when a vet genuinely cares for the animal's wellbeing or if they are in it for the bottom line $$$. In my case, our CAV is awesome!

Spoke to the CAV over the phone to discuss the option of cutting it. He still feels the best option is to let it "grow out".

Of course if I really wanted to I can bring her in and get it clipped and cauterized. He is most concerned about Kass's overall stress level. And controlling the bleeding could be harder and cause her more discomfort and raise her blood pressure.

He says the skin will eventually just shrivel up and get calloused and the nail tip will just sort of grow out. He did say it will take a few weeks.

Guess I'm just a worried momma bird who wants her baby comfy. She gets around ok and is still just a silly goofy bird. But of course when she slips and falls it bleeds again, albeit not horribly.
The Following User Says Thank You to tfw For This Useful Post:
noodles123 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 13 years old
Thanked 10,338 Times in 4,188 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough

She may end up yanking it off herself--I am not saying you have to get it clipped, but that's why I would just buy some silver nitrate swabs IN CASE it happens and you need them. It's super easy to do...I mean..compared to other things obviously (probably would have to towel her or keep her SUPER distracted)...YOU MUST prevent them from biting the end of the stick with the chemical on it, so it is kind of a 2 person job, but not all that traumatic once all is said and done.
The Following User Says Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
tfw (Today)
Old Today, 01:19 PM
Parrots:
B&G Macaw

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
She may end up yanking it off herself--I am not saying you have to get it clipped, but that's why I would just buy some silver nitrate swabs IN CASE it happens and you need them. It's super easy to do...I mean..compared to other things obviously (probably would have to towel her or keep her SUPER distracted)...YOU MUST prevent them from biting the end of the stick with the chemical on it, so it is kind of a 2 person job, but not all that traumatic once all is said and done.
Could you recommend me a good brand for the silver nitrate stick? I saw quite a few on amazon and didn't see one specifically for pets.
Old Today, 01:37 PM
Parrots:

Quote: Originally Posted by tfw View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Could you recommend me a good brand for the silver nitrate stick? I saw quite a few on amazon and didn't see one specifically for pets.
My vet used to give them to me for free (when Noodles had her clotting issue) so I am not sure what brand would be best...You could call your vet and just ask what they use there...Sorry!!!
Again-- styptic powder and silver nitrate will achieve similar end results and neither is completely safe. I dislike the powder because it leaves a residue that can be ingested in some cases--- the nitrate sticks don't leave as much junk behind, but if your bird DOES somehow ingest it (biting the end of the stick etc) it can cause burns in their mouth etc. Neither is perfect.. Interestingly, lots of websites seem to confuse the 2 (even though they are different). Yes, both stop bleeding, but the terms are sometimes used interchangeabley when they shouldn't be (due to the differing mechanisms by which bleeding is stopped). One site actually says that the nitrate should only be used on skin, and the powder on nails ANOTHER site says the exact opposite (nitrate on nails and powder on skin)..but for Noodles nails, they (old vet- not current) usually started with powder and then used the sticks if that didn't work). Again--- my thing was, she would put her feet in her mouth and some of that powder would still be on there, which was concerning to me. There are a ton of contradictions all over the web regarding these products (in terms of applications/use, safety etc). Some sites only suggest nitrate sticks, some suggest both for different uses...wish I could be of more help. The nitrate sticks just seemed to work better, and I prefer them in terms of ease of use/mess etc, but they are not without controversy.

I'd call your vet (or an avian vet elsewhere) and just ask them which one they would recommend.

Another product that I have heard of but never used is called Gelfoam (might look into that as well)

Last edited by noodles123; Today at 02:10 PM.
Old Today, 02:08 PM
Parrots:

So, I just called my CURRENT avian vet about this and they said their "go-to" for bleeding nails was the silver nitrate. So that means that this vet and my last vet don't have issues with it (although my last vet wasn't nearly as good--decent, but not on the same level). You can still call your vet to get another opinion, but this is what I was told:

They said the only way silver nitrate would be internally damaging would be if the bird bit the tip of the nitrate swab (OR if skin was excessively burned though misuse) but that the styptic powder, if ingested, could cause issues...
My vet did not voice concerns about using silver nitrate cautiously on small skin wounds in a bird that is "otherwise healthy". They said that styptic would do the same thing for the most part (in terms of stopping bleeding- but not in terms of the mechanism itself), but that the powder is more easily ingested. When I asked about the risk of skin burns from the nitrate, he acted like that was unlikely, unless the wound was quite large (in which case, silver nitrate should not be used)or if the nitrate was somehow misapplied in another way... They said they prefer the nitrate swabs (that's what they use in the office, especially for nails, but also for other things), but they also didn't tell me NOT to use the powder...just indicated that the powder is more easily ingested and that ingestion of the powder can be harmful.

I imagine there are other CAVs out there with differing opinions, but that is what mine said just now...They prefer the sticks as long as the bird has no way of touching the treated part of the stick with his/her beak or tongue during application and they said that minor wounds could also be treated with these as long as the bird was healthy and didn't come into contact with the stick-end. Take it for what it's worth I guess--- obviously there are lots of opinions about this issue online and it is kind of confusing!

Again--- OBVIOUSLY there are others out there who disagree with my vet(s), so I's still talk to yours if they are a CAV and then maybe you will be able to decide.

Last edited by noodles123; Today at 02:40 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Macaws