Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > ParrotForums.com > New Members Welcome

New Members Welcome Post here to introduce yourself! Tell us a bit about your bird(s), hobbies, setup, etc! Parrot Owners Introduction

>

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2019, 04:12 PM
Parrots:
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
TrebleMama is on a distinguished road
Re: New to forum with a new Amazon

Quote: Originally Posted by wrench13 View Post
So a good exercise to start doing is playing 'warm potato' with him, with all the family members partaking. Gently passing him around after holding for a minute or two. This is a good way to socialize him early. Is he on solid foods now? Does he have a favorite treat? Another way to start the bonding process and teach him that people are "GOOD" is to offer a small sliver of that favorite treat every time you or family passes his cage or play stand. Yes.... a bribe. He will realize that only good things come from people. Accompanied by a friendly few words, this is a great tool. Its about building trust.

If you can find a way to have him eat dinner with the family, this too is good, parrots for the most part are flock eaters. A small T or play stand at the table with his food cup is great.

Try hard to set aside 15-20 minutes a night , every night, for those socializing exercises w/family. Parrots love routine.
Love these suggestion, thanks so much!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrebleMama For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (11-22-2019), Scott  (11-23-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Thanked 25,383 Times in 8,612 Posts
SailBoat will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazon! The place in which Amazons Rule! One of the Great Moments in front of you is the moment that you become aware of the reality that you are owned by an Amazon. It is one of those things that is difficult to explain to someone new to this Wonderful World. At this point, it is best to say, you will know it when you come to that understanding.

Important Paperwork!!!
All Amazons are covered under CITES regulations (International) and your young Amazon should have come to you with a series of documents that define his Birthdate (hatch date) (Like a Birth Certificate), his species, His parents and their species, the Name of the Breeder, and their Address, phone number (contact information), DNA sex document. You should also have received a Bill of Sale for your baby Amazon.

If you where not provided with this information, you must contact the individual (organization) you purchased your young Amazon from to obtain this information. They are under federal obligation to provide you with this information packet.

Note: You should take this document set to your Avian Professional for them to make copies and set as part of your Amazon's Medical History.
Note: As your Amazon Ages, these document will become ever more important, especially if you travel into other States and/or Canada.

In each Morning's early light; there is a promise, an Amazon makes!

Last edited by SailBoat; 11-22-2019 at 04:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
Scott  (11-23-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
1 YNA (Bingo) 1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.) 1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.) 2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) 1 Congo AG (Bella) 7 Cockatiels
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,397 Posts
texsize is on a distinguished road

Congratulations and welcome.
I have found my 2 Mexican red headed (or Green cheek Amazon) to be incredibly playful and incredibly loud.
Both of mine are young also but a little older than your bird Treble.

I hope this works, going to try to slip a picture of Merlin the male amazon.

http://www.parrotforums.com/attachme...erlin-full.jpg
Pinky (F lutino)
Sunny mother (cinnamon)R.I,P.
Cheeky father (whitface)
Angel (eldest lutino F)
Mango (middle pearl F)
Popeye (male grey M)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to texsize For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (11-23-2019), Scott  (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 05:39 AM
Parrots:
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon

Quote: Originally Posted by SailBoat View Post
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazon! The place in which Amazons Rule! One of the Great Moments in front of you is the moment that you become aware of the reality that you are owned by an Amazon. It is one of those things that is difficult to explain to someone new to this Wonderful World. At this point, it is best to say, you will know it when you come to that understanding.

Important Paperwork!!!
All Amazons are covered under CITES regulations (International) and your young Amazon should have come to you with a series of documents that define his Birthdate (hatch date) (Like a Birth Certificate), his species, His parents and their species, the Name of the Breeder, and their Address, phone number (contact information), DNA sex document. You should also have received a Bill of Sale for your baby Amazon.

If you where not provided with this information, you must contact the individual (organization) you purchased your young Amazon from to obtain this information. They are under federal obligation to provide you with this information packet.

Note: You should take this document set to your Avian Professional for them to make copies and set as part of your Amazon's Medical History.
Note: As your Amazon Ages, these document will become ever more important, especially if you travel into other States and/or Canada.
We did not get any of this, uh oh! I will give them a call and see where this information is. We did get a bill of sale and then a copy of the vet visit he's already had.

I did not realize how challenging it was going to be to find a vet that works with birds, I've now looked into 4 different ones in our area and no one handles Amazons. I do have a call into one more place, they do have a vet that specializes in birds, but the receptionist didn't know if she was taking new patients right now and she's out of town this weekend, so I'm waiting to hear back from them on Monday. If that falls through then I'm going to have to widen my driving parameter, which isn't ideal especially in an emergency situation where time could be a crucial factor. Bringing him to the vet that the store that we bought him from works with is an option, but it's almost 2 hours driving, each way.

Last edited by TrebleMama; 11-23-2019 at 05:43 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrebleMama For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (11-23-2019), Scott  (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 08:42 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon

South of Hwy 10, (Ludington /Midland), the number of Avian Professionals increases rapidly, especially as you come closer to the Greater Detroit or Grand Rapids areas.

Last edited by SailBoat; 11-23-2019 at 08:44 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
Scott  (11-23-2019), TrebleMama (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Parrots:
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon

South of Hwy 10, (Ludington /Midland), the number of Avian Professionals increases rapidly, especially as you come closer to the Greater Detroit or Grand Rapids areas.
I'm to the west of Grand Rapids (30 minutes east of Lake MI), do you have any suggestions for the Grand Rapids area? The one I've got a call into is in Grand Haven. Coopersville, Allendale and Grandville were dead ends from what I can tell?

Eta: see that your west MI as well We live in the Coopersville area. We got our Amazon from Preuss, in Lansing, and the vet they work with is Cedar Creek Veterinary, which is Williamston-long drive from us!

eta#2 We have a sailboat as well lol A 22 footer. We haven't had it out in a couple years, due to a move/job change, but when we put it in the water we use a marina on Muskegon Lake

Last edited by TrebleMama; 11-23-2019 at 02:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrebleMama For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 04:10 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon

East side of Grand Rapids: Cascade Animal Hospital has a full time Certified Avian Vet (CAV). They are on Cascade Road just North of where Cascade crosses 28th street. I have been targeting appointments late Mornings and early Afternoons to avoid the traffic slow down /blockages at the 96 /196 interchange reconstruction. I exit 96 east bound at Cascade Road and take Cascade East to their location.

Our Julio is a frequent visitor and HRH is well known by the Avian Staff.
Enjoy!!!

Long time Great Lakes Sailor /Racer!
Muskegon Lake is a great inland lake that has good sailing when Michigan is running big and easy access to Lake Michigan when its smoother.

Long life Grand Rapids Resident.

Sad, Preuss should have known the CITES requirements.

Last edited by SailBoat; 11-23-2019 at 09:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
TrebleMama (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 06:46 AM
Parrots:
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon

East side of Grand Rapids: Cascade Animal Hospital has a full time Certified Avian Vet (CAV). They are on Cascade Road just North of where Cascade crosses 28th street. I have been targeting appointments late Mornings and early Afternoons to avoid the traffic slow down /blockages at the 96 /196 interchange reconstruction. I exit 96 east bound at Cascade Road and take Cascade East to their location.

Our Julio is a frequent visitor and HRH is well known by the Avian Staff.
Enjoy!!!

Long time Great Lakes Sailor /Racer!
Muskegon Lake is a great inland lake that has good sailing when Michigan is running big and easy access to Lake Michigan when its smoother.

Long life Grand Rapids Resident.

Sad, Preuss should have known the CITES requirements.
Thank you! Looked them up and they're about 30 minutes away, very doable! I should hear back from the Grand Haven vet tomorrow and if that's not going to work I'll give Cascade a call Just ordered a carrier online yesterday, so I'm hoping to get an appointment in the next couple of weeks after that arrives.

Going to call Preuss tomorrow and ask about the missing paperwork, hoping it was just an oversight and they can mail it to us.

And yep, husband and I are both life long residents of West MI-were both born at Butterworth (Spectrum) Hospital downtown Love the area and most of our family is still around here. Nice to know there's someone on the forum that's by us, appreciate all your help so far!

Last edited by TrebleMama; 11-24-2019 at 06:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrebleMama For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (11-24-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > ParrotForums.com > New Members Welcome