Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Congo & Timneh Greys

>

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Parrots:
Quaker Parrot, Congo African Grey
MTG is on a distinguished road
Developments with my CAG

Hello Again,

Since my last post, I have been working hard with Zelda (my CAG) to build up trust between us and also to build up her confidence. For the most part, I think it's going well.

I have had her for approximately 11 weeks now. I have been working with her every day, with target training, and out of cage time.

She will still not step up onto my hand from inside her cage, but when she climbs out of the cage she will step up no problem. She will also step up just fine from her stands, just not from in the cage. She used to be very cautious out of the cage so I tried hard to make any out of cage time very positive and reassured her all the time. She now seems to enjoy sitting on her stand by me eating some snacks and playing with toys, but after about 20 minutes or so she will get a bit fidgety and want to go back to the cage so I let her.

In the last couple of weeks, I was honored to be trusted enough for her to ask for head scratches. She seemed to enjoy this for 2 weeks or so, but just recently changed her mind and now wants none. Is this 2 steps forward 1 step back pattern normal with greys? My Quakers' development with me was very different.

She and my Quaker seem to be getting along ok when out of the cage together. I monitor them very carefully when out together and always supervise. I compare them to siblings, in that if Yoshi (the quaker) gets too close to what Zelda is eating she will push him away, and vice versa. I feel like Yoshi just wants to be friends with her as he is always trying to edge close but she wants none of it at the moment haha, she just about tolerates his presence. There has been no real aggression between them though, just the occasional bickering which is good (i think).

For the most part, I think it is going well with Zelda. I am trying to avoid Yoshi getting jealous, but to be honest he seems pretty obsessed with her.

Any further tips from anyone? I feel like I'm doing ok but I just want to do the very best I can for her.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MTG For This Useful Post:
Flboy Supporting Member (11-30-2019), janesommers (12-12-2019), Laurasea Supporting Member (11-30-2019), saurian (12-03-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 07:16 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Thanked 11,118 Times in 5,220 Posts
Flboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Developments with my CAG

Nice! Hey, I noticed the egg shaped latch is upside down! Wide down to prevent getting a foot stuck in the narrow end!
Laurasea Supporting Member (12-01-2019), MTG (11-30-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 02:55 AM
Supporting Vendor
Parrots:
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Thanked 1,571 Times in 502 Posts
Squeekmouse is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by MTG View Post

In the last couple of weeks, I was honored to be trusted enough for her to ask for head scratches. She seemed to enjoy this for 2 weeks or so, but just recently changed her mind and now wants none. Is this 2 steps forward 1 step back pattern normal with greys?
Sounds like you are describing my Trigger!!

I have to assume this is totally normal for CAG's, my GCC love scritches always. Trigger likes skritches on his own terms... sometimes...

On the bright side, when Trigger DOES come over and lower his head for skritches it is THE most wonderful and special thing
Laurasea Supporting Member (12-01-2019), MTG (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 07:24 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Ta-dah 5yr (F )Turquoise cinnamon GCC, Neptune (M) blue quaker, Penny (F )rescue green quaker, Pikachu (U) lutino quaker, Cloudy and Clear(M's) parakeets, Burt The Bird (F) GCC of 17 wonderful years p
Thanked 9,447 Times in 3,381 Posts
Laurasea is on a distinguished road

Great update. Sounds like things are going well.
MTG (12-03-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 11:10 PM
Parrots:
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
DRB is on a distinguished road

They will make marketable strides then all of a sudden throw you a curve and not want to progress.

I’ve been teaching Perjo how to count, she seems to be interested one day then two days later she acts as if she’s never seen the proofs I use.
The Following User Says Thank You to DRB For This Useful Post:
MTG (12-03-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 06:46 AM
Parrots:
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Thanked 1,008 Times in 474 Posts
bigfellasdad is on a distinguished road

Why be concerned about stepping up within her cage? Its not a biggy and at the end of the day, its her space. Id just respect her on that one.
For interest, if i get in the cage with Enzo (upper body only of course) she gets flirty with me so i try not to do that. She does like me to put her up to her top perch at bed time 'night night' and that's about the only time i have to put my arm/shoulders in now. Its her space remember.

Last edited by bigfellasdad; 12-12-2019 at 06:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigfellasdad For This Useful Post:
MTG (Yesterday)
Old 12-12-2019, 06:37 PM
janesommers is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by MTG View Post
Hello Again,

Since my last post, I have been working hard with Zelda (my CAG) to build up trust between us and also to build up her confidence. For the most part, I think it's going well.

I have had her for approximately 11 weeks now. I have been working with her every day, with target training, and out of cage time.

She will still not step up onto my hand from inside her cage, but when she climbs out of the cage she will step up no problem. She will also step up just fine from her stands, just not from in the cage. She used to be very cautious out of the cage so I tried hard to make any out of cage time very positive and reassured her all the time. She now seems to enjoy sitting on her stand by me eating some snacks and playing with toys, but after about 20 minutes or so she will get a bit fidgety and want to go back to the cage so I let her.

In the last couple of weeks, I was honored to be trusted enough for her to ask for head scratches. She seemed to enjoy this for 2 weeks or so, but just recently changed her mind and now wants none. Is this 2 steps forward 1 step back pattern normal with greys? My Quakers' development with me was very different.

She and my Quaker seem to be getting along ok when out of the cage together. I monitor them very carefully when out together and always supervise. I compare them to siblings, in that if Yoshi (the quaker) gets too close to what Zelda is eating she will push him away, and vice versa. I feel like Yoshi just wants to be friends with her as he is always trying to edge close but she wants none of it at the moment haha, she just about tolerates his presence. There has been no real aggression between them though, just the occasional bickering which is good (i think).

For the most part, I think it is going well with Zelda. I am trying to avoid Yoshi getting jealous, but to be honest he seems pretty obsessed with her.

Any further tips from anyone? I feel like I'm doing ok but I just want to do the very best I can for her.

Well I think it's a bit normal for greys to get in to some sort of mood swings form time to time, it depends on how much interaction she gets daily. However, your experience seems pretty unique and wouldn't have any predefined manual. It would definitely take some time for Zelda and Yoshi to really rub off each other so maybe take it gradually and consistently. Seems like you've got sweet birds altogether. Wish you all the best from me and my 2 CAG's Tiki and Bill.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janesommers For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (12-12-2019), MTG (Yesterday)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Congo & Timneh Greys

Tags
african grey, cag, progress