Just had my first experience with pantry moths

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi everybody!

Today Iā€™m a little angry, lol. Iā€™m 99% sure that Lafeber gave me a mild pantry moth infestation.

There was a moth flying around my birdā€™s cage the other day, and I really didnā€™t think much of it. It was one moth. Then last night I came to put him to bed and there was at least six flying all around his cage and inside it. I was absolutely horrified.

My mom and dad helped me take his cage outside and bag up all of his other things. Heā€™s currently in a small pet store cage. Iā€™m going to have to power wash his cage and individually check every toy today.

Why I think it was Lafeber was because I accidentally left open a new bag of nutriberries the other day. Then suddenly there was these moths. Nothing else has been brought into the area, (heā€™s upstairs in a corner where no food is besides his) itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve had to purchase nutriberries in a long while.

Iā€™m pretty peeved to say the least and am going to email them later and see if theyā€™ll replace my nutriberries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
I had it happen, came in on a bag of deer grain, entire damn house was infested. They get in everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Oh yeah--- they are NASTY.

If you have flower, cereal, rice, grains, pasta, dry beans/lentils, sugar, cornstarch...ANYTHING in an open bag or cardboard box, seal it in a gallon storage bag or plastic tub now and consider putting anything questionable in the freezer to kill the larvae that may be in there. They find their way into anything that isn't totally sealed with plastic.

They multiply like crazy and will infest all your unsealed dry goods without preventive measures...It's uncanny.
A tell-tale sign of established moths in a container is a cob-web-like substance...not sure what this is, but it's a dead give away that your may as well throw something out (OUTSIDE LOL).
It takes them a while to get to that point, so I'd still seal and freeze (but it's like a perpetual battle once they get out of control).
When I was a kid, I had a hamster and his food resulted in a nasty moth problem that seemed to go on for years (it only takes 2 survives to continue their moth legacy)..I mean, we had a clean house, and while we got it somewhat under control (compared to what it was when we realized it was a problem) there were still moths around when I left for college lol! Again, way better than it used to be, but they made it to the cabinet downstairs and lived out many generations there....due to open boxes of cereal and pasta etc.

Nothing more disgusting than pouring out some cereal and seeing moth larvae in it.

Last edited:
OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Oh yeah--- they are NASTY.

If you have flower, cereal, rice, grains, pasta...ANYTHING in an open bag or cardboard box, seal it in a gallon storage bag or plastic tub now and consider putting anything questionable in the freezer to kill the larvae that may be in there. They find their way into anything that isn't totally sealed with plastic.

So gross... I was horrified that my baby was stuck in his cage with them without me noticing for a while!

We went through the kitchen and put anything that was put away. We do have a bag of flour thatā€™s sealed out on the counter, Iā€™ll bag it anyway.

Thankfully I think we caught it before it got bad. And thankfully Stanley lives upstairs away from the kitchen.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Kill as many as you can and look out for little dark spots where the ceiling meets the wall (they will lay little cacoon things and if you see them, squish them).

Soapy/wet hands makes killing them easier as well lol! PRO-TIP haha

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Kill as many as you can and look out for little dark spots where the ceiling meets the wall (they will lay little cacoon things and if you see them, squish them).

Soapy/wet hands makes killing them easier as well lol! PRO-TIP haha

We have been! Thankfully we havenā€™t seen any since last night after we cleaned everything. Iā€™ll keep an eye out in the corners but thank god I think we got it just in time.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
You probably did-- we didn't realize for a bit, which allowed it to get worse...I was young and noticed the moths, but didn't put 2 and 2 together..so the population boomed ha.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
You can freeze the food when you get it and that will prevent them from hatching-- They aren't uncommon in pet foods (never had them in Noodles' food, but did find them in parakeet's food years ago), but lots of people store their food in the freezer for freshness and for that reason. I don't think they are harmful to the bird's health in any way, but I am not positive.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
YEP! I have experienced them also :mad: Just yesterday as a mater of fact! My brother came in and I heard him scream "WTF???" as he went to the counter top. I swear fifty of those effin things took flight! I was waving an electric tennis style racket at them and when the hit it they'd EXPLODE and make crackling sounds and stink like heck!! I don't know why we have them,there is NO seeds,except a bag of nutraberries that sits on the partition between the living room and kitchen and there were no moths in the bag :confused:

Years ago when Amy and Jonesy did get some seed,I'd get a 40lb bag of "parrot food" from Agway. I'd fill a five pound plastic tub and put it in the freezer and pour the bag into a large tub,cover it and put it in the mudroom off of my kitchen (there was a door that was kept closed that led from the kitchen to the mudroom) When I went to refill the five pound tub I'd go into the mudroom.close the door leading into the kitchen and open the door leading to outside. When I took the lid off the large tub I got assaulted by HUNDREDS of those things:eek: It seems that the seeds already had larvae and with the heat inside the tub the things would hatch! It also seems they hatch at certain times of the year also.

You need to inspect your walls/cealings. I have found that the bastiids will lay their eggs right at the seams of a ceiling and wall..little tiny things 1/8 inch long. I use a broom to sweep them from wall/ceiling or they will hatch and you'll get more of the pesky things. :mad:

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Those tiny effins commonly come into our homes in the fruits that we buy or come in from outside and once they have colonized they are difficult to kill them off. Refrigerate any and all fruits and veggies.

All grains, seeds and non-cooked /roasted nuts can have bug grubs even if it is classified as Human Grade. The freezing of 'dry-goods' is for far more than maintaining freshness, its for killing off grubs that exist in 'dry-goods' as a whole. Fail to Freeze and it is not if, but when an infestation will occur!

Long ago, back in the days prior to mega-sized packaging, near everything was purchased for use that day or at most that week. That was because home storage was limited at best and with the exception of the 'icebox' cold storage beyond a root cellar was unheard of.

So, buy and break into zip-lock bags, dated and lot numbered and freeze in week use sizes. Minimum time in the freezer should be 2 weeks, we use 4 weeks before first use.

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
YEP! I have experienced them also :mad: Just yesterday as a mater of fact! My brother came in and I heard him scream "WTF???" as he went to the counter top. I swear fifty of those effin things took flight! I was waving an electric tennis style racket at them and when the hit it they'd EXPLODE and make crackling sounds and stink like heck!! I don't know why we have them,there is NO seeds,except a bag of nutraberries that sits on the partition between the living room and kitchen and there were no moths in the bag :confused:

Years ago when Amy and Jonesy did get some seed,I'd get a 40lb bag of "parrot food" from Agway. I'd fill a five pound plastic tub and put it in the freezer and pour the bag into a large tub,cover it and put it in the mudroom off of my kitchen (there was a door that was kept closed that led from the kitchen to the mudroom) When I went to refill the five pound tub I'd go into the mudroom.close the door leading into the kitchen and open the door leading to outside. When I took the lid off the large tub I got assaulted by HUNDREDS of those things:eek: It seems that the seeds already had larvae and with the heat inside the tub the things would hatch! It also seems they hatch at certain times of the year also.

You need to inspect your walls/cealings. I have found that the bastiids will lay their eggs right at the seams of a ceiling and wall..little tiny things 1/8 inch long. I use a broom to sweep them from wall/ceiling or they will hatch and you'll get more of the pesky things. :mad:

Jim

Those tennis racquet electrocutions rock!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts