Ducky plucking update

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
So Ducky has been wearing her collar for over two months now. Most of her feathers have grown in nicely, but unfortunately every time the collar is taken off she starts plucking again. I have decided to give her a break from the collar because she just seems soo much happier without it. When she’s wearing the collar, she kind of sits in the corner and doesn’t really want to interact that much with me. As soon as I take it off she wants cuddles and scritches like she used to and is eager to perform flight recall and tricks. It’s also a lot easier for her to fly without the weight and resistance of the collar. I don’t think that if I make her wear the collar for another month or year she’ll magically stop plucking. I think I just have to accept the fact that Ducky might have some bald spots that won’t go away.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Lutino Cockatiel Pinky is a plucker.
She mostly plucks her back and it's hard to see the bald spot because it's mostly covered up by her wings.
I have never tried a collar.
The bigger problem is that she also pulls out her flight feathers, the long ones on the end of her wing.
Whenever she try's to fly she fly's like a plane without a rudder.
I have had her to the vet without getting any answers, I think it's emotional based on the loss of her sister some years ago.
I think all you can do is love them for who and what they are. Make them as happy as you can.

OP
FlyBirdiesFly

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I have some good news!! Ducky has been preening a lot today but not plucking. Maybe it was just the first day that she was “letting it out” and she will stop plucking after all!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)