using aloe?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Went chop shopping and came across some big aloe leaves. I know they can be beneficial but how do I use them? Can I put them in the chop? I know people dilute it in water for showers but are there any other options?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I would a- make sure they are the real deal, b just peel a piece and chop -see how he likes it :)

You can always run it through the juicer and make aloe-ice-cubes f.e. or go bat**** crazy with it ( there are probably a zillion recepies)
I prefer to feed the stuf fresh (so not first frozen-then thawed) but not sure how large a portion you bought.

You can even give him a large piece to play with/ gnaw on if you have surplus.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
so should I alway skin it before giving him sone or can i give him a chunk topeel himself

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
After washing the aloe leaf / vine, I would offer it to him as is. He can have fun peeling the outer skin to get to the gelatinous meat inside. That said, my birds do not like it. Boomer chomped on it once or twice and never again. Pewpew won't even make the effort. I just cut the leaf sometimes to put in the spray bottle which I use on my budgie's bath. They don't like to bath on their own.

As for adding it to chop, I would try to see if Kiwi likes the taste. It has a strong, almost sharp / alcohol taste - to me at least. That way you avoid ruining a big batch of chop if, like me, you make ones that last 2 months in the freezer. I've offered aloe vera juice (all natural, no preservatives which you can get at any large grocery store). They did not like it much.

Most Reactions

Latest posts