Conureflock

Aug 12, 2018
UK, West Midlands
Parrots
Hahns Macaw - DOB 28/12/2017
Black Capped Conure - DOB 2018
Pineapple Conure - DOB 07/03/2018
Yellow-sided Conure - DOB 2018
Whilst I’m a new member, this isn’t the first time I’ve used this site for help! I have 2 conures, a pineapple whom I’ve had a few months now called Alby, she’s very tame and completely comfortable with me. I decided to get her (not sexed just decided she was a she!) a companion, not a cage companion just another bird to talk to when I’m at work which starts in September and I decided on a Black-capped Conure simply because I think they’re really beautiful. I got him from a Pet store, which I’ve read isn’t the best idea but they told me he (again not sexed!) was hand-tamed and as I’ve seen and held many of their birds before, I believed them!
Whilst I understand he won’t be completely used to me immediately and I’m fine if he needs time to get used to his environment, I don’t like him sitting in his cage all day as I feel that he needs excersize (despite him having clipped wings) and to explore his surroundings. I thought if he could explore my room (where he is) whilst I’m there he’d be safe and may get more comfortable with me and his new home, he’s very difficult getting back in the cage. I’ve tried to sit and wait for hours for him to go back in under his own steam but he doesn’t seem to ever go back in, not even for food. I let him out for an hour or so everyday and it is seeming to improve his confidence, but I always end up scaring him when I try to get him back in his cage! I don’t know if it’s fear from a past experience but it seems to be specifically to my hands, which I know sounds obvious I’m just trying to be thorough!
He’s a beautiful boy and I hate stressing him out when I try to get him back in his cage. I was wondering whether anyone had any tips for that or taming tips in general. Any help would be massively appreciated!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Can you... take his cage to him?

If you are having difficulty handling him while out of his cage, then you might want to reconsider taking him out - for now. Instead, any time you walk by his cage, drop a treat into a special cup. Work in target training through the cage bars and once he's good at targeting anywhere within the cage then open the door and work on target training through there. Then around the outside of the cage. Eventually you can work on target training away from the cage which can help you get him back in the cage as well as teach him how to step up.

OP
Conureflock

Conureflock

Aug 12, 2018
UK, West Midlands
Parrots
Okay so simply drop a treat in and wait for him to get it? Or walk away and come back later? Should I ever hold the treat in my hands and let him take it or just let him pick it out a bowl?
I really appreciate your response, thank you!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
At first, just drop the treat in the cup and keep walking. If your bird isn't comfortable eating near you, then just drop a treat and go. As your conure gets more comfortable with you, you can increase expectations - such as eating when you are 5' away or 1' away or taking treats from your hands. Work with what your bird is willing to give you.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Better to let him get used to your presence y the above method than to scare him trying to get him back in his cage. He has to learn that ONLY good things happen when people (you) are involved. Work at his pace, not at your expectations pace.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
agreed with all the above

Also if you do let him out and he doesn't want to get on your hands here's a little trick I found that seems to help. Try using a perch that is in the cage already to pick him up at first and get in the cage. I did so with my conure and it did seem to help him get used to the concept of stepping up

OP
Conureflock

Conureflock

Aug 12, 2018
UK, West Midlands
Parrots
Thank you for all the advice, the only reason I let him out is because he holds onto the bars flapping his wings which makes me think he wants to come out, but I agree that I don’t want him associating me with stressful situations.
The target training is working I think, but I was wondering what treats your bird loves as I haven’t really found one thing that he loves yet! I’ve tried blue berries, sweet corn, pomegranate seeds, I don’t know whether actual seeds may work better?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
sometimes a sunflower seed can be a good treat,

for me I found raisins worked pretty well. I would chop them into little bitesize chunks so one raisin could last a rewards. So they eat only 1 or 2 instead of say 6 raisins

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Nuts, millet, sunflower seeds, fresh fruit, dried fruit, or any other number of things can be used as a treat.

I'm working with a hands off green cheek conure and he's *VERY* food motivated! He's actually a pretty fantastic eater, even compared to my own birds whom I've had for several years! (upwards of 17 years!) So he's rather easy to work with. Heck, he even likes Benebac Probiotics! And gets antsy if he thinks I'm giving it to other birds! (medicating two other birds...) He's still rather hand shy, but he's been on my hands a few times already. I think he'd be great in a home where someone already has a tame and friendly green cheek (or other Pyrrhura) and the other bird could help him come out of his shell.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
My conures all have different favourite treats - I use a hand chopper to dice up nuts for one, raw sunflower seeds for another. One loves safflower seeds, all of mine hate pine nuts (but I know many birds like them). All of mine will do anything for little bits of fresh apple, 2 of them love dried papaya, all of them think dried apple is pretty awesome. Just try different things and don’t be afraid to eat the treats yourself in front of them.... mine are all suspicious of new foods and will try anything I offer if I eat it first :)

OP
Conureflock

Conureflock

Aug 12, 2018
UK, West Midlands
Parrots
Nuts, millet, sunflower seeds, fresh fruit, dried fruit, or any other number of things can be used as a treat.

I'm working with a hands off green cheek conure and he's *VERY* food motivated! He's actually a pretty fantastic eater, even compared to my own birds whom I've had for several years! (upwards of 17 years!) So he's rather easy to work with. Heck, he even likes Benebac Probiotics! And gets antsy if he thinks I'm giving it to other birds! (medicating two other birds...) He's still rather hand shy, but he's been on my hands a few times already. I think he'd be great in a home where someone already has a tame and friendly green cheek (or other Pyrrhura) and the other bird could help him come out of his shell.

That’s really helpful thank you, as my black capped is past the quarantine time I’ve introduced them when they’re both in their cages and they’ve seen each other for just over a week now. I got my friendly Conure Alby out while he was in and made sure she stayed interested in me rather than him, but I thought that I shouldn’t introduce them any further while he is still hand shy, is this a good idea or does that not matter much as to how friendly he is with me?
Many thanks again!

OP
Conureflock

Conureflock

Aug 12, 2018
UK, West Midlands
Parrots
My conures all have different favourite treats - I use a hand chopper to dice up nuts for one, raw sunflower seeds for another. One loves safflower seeds, all of mine hate pine nuts (but I know many birds like them). All of mine will do anything for little bits of fresh apple, 2 of them love dried papaya, all of them think dried apple is pretty awesome. Just try different things and don’t be afraid to eat the treats yourself in front of them.... mine are all suspicious of new foods and will try anything I offer if I eat it first :)

Okay thank you for the advice! It’s nice learning what their different preferences are, everyday I feel I’m learning something new about him! Like he really likes broccoli! But I was wondering about the dried fruits, I read somewhere that if they contain sulfur dioxide then it can make them aggressive, but at my local supermarket on the dried fruits contain sulfur dioxide!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel

Okay thank you for the advice! It’s nice learning what their different preferences are, everyday I feel I’m learning something new about him! Like he really likes broccoli! But I was wondering about the dried fruits, I read somewhere that if they contain sulfur dioxide then it can make them aggressive, but at my local supermarket on the dried fruits contain sulfur dioxide!

You can buy dried papaya bits for birds in the pet store and I have a dehydrator that I use during fruit season so I know there’s no sulfur dioxide in any of their dried fruit. I just bag and freeze it once dehydrated and it’s great snacks for the rest of the year for me and good treats for them :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
The other green cheek I have isn't interested in Merlin, the hands off green cheek. Merlin is quite interested in Scooter, though! That's why I feel he'd do great in a home with a friendly and confident green cheek.

So it can vary between birds.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
My 3 conures have all liked different treats. My sun loves pine nuts, my gcc loves safflower seeds and my nanday loved tiny pieces of dried fruit.

Most Reactions

Latest posts