Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2018, 02:09 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Baby - Sun Conure; Tango - GCC; Bindi - Sun Conure; Stanley - Pineapple GCC Screamer “Scree” - Cockatiel
Thanked 1,191 Times in 521 Posts
Jen5200 is on a distinguished road
Re: Shy Conure - Need help taming

Sponsored Links
My conures all have different favourite treats - I use a hand chopper to dice up nuts for one, raw sunflower seeds for another. One loves safflower seeds, all of mine hate pine nuts (but I know many birds like them). All of mine will do anything for little bits of fresh apple, 2 of them love dried papaya, all of them think dried apple is pretty awesome. Just try different things and don’t be afraid to eat the treats yourself in front of them.... mine are all suspicious of new foods and will try anything I offer if I eat it first
Bindi (2018, hatched approx 2011, female)
Screamer (2018, hatched approx 2012, female)
Stanley (2018, hatched approx 2014)
Old 08-19-2018, 01:11 PM
Conureflock is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by MonicaMc View Post
Nuts, millet, sunflower seeds, fresh fruit, dried fruit, or any other number of things can be used as a treat.

I'm working with a hands off green cheek conure and he's *VERY* food motivated! He's actually a pretty fantastic eater, even compared to my own birds whom I've had for several years! (upwards of 17 years!) So he's rather easy to work with. Heck, he even likes Benebac Probiotics! And gets antsy if he thinks I'm giving it to other birds! (medicating two other birds...) He's still rather hand shy, but he's been on my hands a few times already. I think he'd be great in a home where someone already has a tame and friendly green cheek (or other Pyrrhura) and the other bird could help him come out of his shell.
Thatís really helpful thank you, as my black capped is past the quarantine time Iíve introduced them when theyíre both in their cages and theyíve seen each other for just over a week now. I got my friendly Conure Alby out while he was in and made sure she stayed interested in me rather than him, but I thought that I shouldnít introduce them any further while he is still hand shy, is this a good idea or does that not matter much as to how friendly he is with me?
Many thanks again!
Old 08-19-2018, 01:22 PM
Conureflock is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen5200 View Post
My conures all have different favourite treats - I use a hand chopper to dice up nuts for one, raw sunflower seeds for another. One loves safflower seeds, all of mine hate pine nuts (but I know many birds like them). All of mine will do anything for little bits of fresh apple, 2 of them love dried papaya, all of them think dried apple is pretty awesome. Just try different things and donít be afraid to eat the treats yourself in front of them.... mine are all suspicious of new foods and will try anything I offer if I eat it first
Okay thank you for the advice! Itís nice learning what their different preferences are, everyday I feel Iím learning something new about him! Like he really likes broccoli! But I was wondering about the dried fruits, I read somewhere that if they contain sulfur dioxide then it can make them aggressive, but at my local supermarket on the dried fruits contain sulfur dioxide!
Old 08-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Baby - Sun Conure; Tango - GCC; Bindi - Sun Conure; Stanley - Pineapple GCC Screamer “Scree” - Cockatiel
Thanked 1,191 Times in 521 Posts
Jen5200 is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Conureflock View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Jen5200 View Post
My conures all have different favourite treats - I use a hand chopper to dice up nuts for one, raw sunflower seeds for another. One loves safflower seeds, all of mine hate pine nuts (but I know many birds like them). All of mine will do anything for little bits of fresh apple, 2 of them love dried papaya, all of them think dried apple is pretty awesome. Just try different things and donít be afraid to eat the treats yourself in front of them.... mine are all suspicious of new foods and will try anything I offer if I eat it first
Okay thank you for the advice! Itís nice learning what their different preferences are, everyday I feel Iím learning something new about him! Like he really likes broccoli! But I was wondering about the dried fruits, I read somewhere that if they contain sulfur dioxide then it can make them aggressive, but at my local supermarket on the dried fruits contain sulfur dioxide!
You can buy dried papaya bits for birds in the pet store and I have a dehydrator that I use during fruit season so I know thereís no sulfur dioxide in any of their dried fruit. I just bag and freeze it once dehydrated and itís great snacks for the rest of the year for me and good treats for them
Bindi (2018, hatched approx 2011, female)
Screamer (2018, hatched approx 2012, female)
Stanley (2018, hatched approx 2014)
Old 08-20-2018, 01:19 AM
Parrots:
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994; Cockatiel - Casey 2001; Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Thanked 4,587 Times in 2,951 Posts
MonicaMc is on a distinguished road

The other green cheek I have isn't interested in Merlin, the hands off green cheek. Merlin is quite interested in Scooter, though! That's why I feel he'd do great in a home with a friendly and confident green cheek.

So it can vary between birds.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:59 PM
Parrots:
Ta-dah 7yr Turquoise cinnamon GCC, Neptune blue quaker, Penny rescue green quaker, Cloudy and Clear parakeets, Burt The Bird GCC of 17 wonderful years passed 2018
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,026 Posts
Laurasea is on a distinguished road

Safflower seeds those white ones are pure magic to GCC!!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16 Nanday Conure-Finley-Hatched 10/07/17 Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure- Paris- Hatched 03/03/18
Thanked 2,183 Times in 905 Posts
Sunnyclover is on a distinguished road

My 3 conures have all liked different treats. My sun loves pine nuts, my gcc loves safflower seeds and my nanday loved tiny pieces of dried fruit.
My YouTube channel featuring Ollie and Finley :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwK...dZ2smJNGO9Lhkw
Add me on Snapchat! Username: desieagan https://www.snapchat.com/add/desieagan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

Tags
black capped conure, conure, conure taming, taming
Remove Ads