Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Health Care

General Health Care Remember to use common sense and consult with an avian veterinarian.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Parrots:
Sgt. Nanners - white belly caique
mrs.pants is on a distinguished road
Re: redness on dominant foot?

Sponsored Links
see to me they both feel the same. not cold not hot just warm like theyve always been, but mr pants thinks it feels warmer. which is weird cyz ill say something is really hot and hell say it isnt so idk.

in any case we went back and they told us to dilute iodine in water til its like green tea then dip his foot in it for the next 5 days? i mean ill do it fine but im glad well be seeing a cav soon :/
Old 11-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thanked 4,633 Times in 1,962 Posts
EllenD is on a distinguished road

Is there an actual wound or open skin? It's hard without actually seeing his foot, a photo would help tremendously, but if there is no actual open-skin then soaking it in diluted Betadine isn't going to help...It sounds like Bumblefoot to me too, very much actually (assuming that there isn't any open-skin, wound, etc.). I highly doubt it's any type of infection either if there is no open skin or wound...And the only thing that really causes what you're describing that pops-up this quickly with no actual open-skin or wound is Bumblefoot.

Bumblefoot is pretty easy to diagnose visually if you see an experienced Vet who has seen it before. The problem is that the only way to heal Bumblefoot is to keep pressure off of the foot for an extended period of time, and how do you do that with a bird who has to perch all day long, every day...It's a tough one, and it can happen even if you have all kinds of different perches for him. Some birds (and all other animals) just sit/stand constantly in such a way that that they are always putting a lot of pressure on just one spot of their foot or feet, no matter what it is that they're standing on.

I once saw a Vet who actually cured Bumblefoot successfully in many, many animals by building little "cages" or little "booties" out of casting material. They took a package of casting fabric and cut it into a bunch of very thin strips. Then they put each strip in water to start it hardening, and then they molded the strips around the foot in such a way that they made what looked exactly like a "caged bootie", and of course once it hardened the bird couldn't get it off. It's hard to describe, but the bootie actually did look like a cage around the foot, and the bottom was hard as a rock because it was casting material, and they started making it at the top, on the leg above the foot, and then worked downward, so that it was able to harden up top first, so by the time they got to having to build the part around the bottom of the foot, the top was already hard, so they could attach the pieces around the bottom of the foot in such a way that the foot wasn't actually touching the bottom of the cage bootie. So the foot was suspended and there was a space between the Bumblefoot area/bottom of the foot and the hardened bottom portion of the cage bootie. And because it was hard as a rock, anytime the bird put it's foot down to stand, he was actually standing on the bottom of the cage-bootie, but the bottom of his foot was suspended in the air above the bottom of the bootie...It works wonderfully well, the did it on a bird, a rat, a guinea pig, and I don't know what all else, but it worked perfectly. The bird could still perch on the other foot, and kept the foot with the cage-bootie on it up, and could still put it down and put all their weight on it because it was hard as a rock, and the bottom of their foot didn't touch anything for over a month. Healed right up...
TiredOldMan Supporting Member (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Parrots:

not sure what you mean by open skin? theres no wound, nothing wrapped around it or anything, the skin itself is just red mostly toward his toes.

we did go ahead and do an iodine dip (which he was very not fond of lol) and it seems to have reduced a lot of the redness but it was hard to keep him in for too long.

this was the best pic i could get of his foot (he's perched on his food cup), its not as red as it was which we're happy about! we're gonna dip him again tomorrow and see how it goes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrs.pants For This Useful Post:
Laurasea (11-11-2018), TiredOldMan Supporting Member (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Parrots:
Ta-dah 7yr Turquoise cinnamon GCC, Neptune blue quaker, Penny rescue green quaker, Cloudy and Clear parakeets, Burt The Bird GCC of 17 wonderful years passed 2018
Thanked 2,914 Times in 1,087 Posts
Laurasea is on a distinguished road

Bumblefoot (ulcerative pododermatitis) is a bacterial infection and inflammatory reaction on the feet of birds.

Nice pic. Glad it seems to be getting better, betadine soaks are a nice approach. Does he have any rough perches that might be new to him and made him sore? If it's nit extra warmth, abd he is not holding it up all the time, then hopefully he will get over it very quickly.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:48 PM
Parrots:

he reaaaally didn't like it lol. but i dont blame him cause he's only just getting used to misting and suddenly were dunking his foot in water. it woulda been better if we just filled a tupperware and did that but we didnt wanna stress him out too much.

the only rough perch he has is the grapewood perch, but we legit just bought that one today. his only new perch which is mostly smooth is the manzanita perch.

he had a rope ladder that had rougher planks but that one is away until next week when we rotate everything out again. His other perches are all smooth wood either single bars or one smooth branch.

he does jump up on his chewy toys a lot and nearly all of them are shreddable and big so he likes to sit on them and tear them to pieces.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrs.pants For This Useful Post:
Laurasea (11-11-2018), TiredOldMan Supporting Member (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Parrots:
Ta-dah 7yr Turquoise cinnamon GCC, Neptune blue quaker, Penny rescue green quaker, Cloudy and Clear parakeets, Burt The Bird GCC of 17 wonderful years passed 2018

You can just soak a paper towel in the betadine solution and hold it on the foot if that is easier. Oneing I forgot to add is that bumble foot is usually caused by a problem on the opposite side or foot of the bird causing them to learn more weight on the good foot...then that leads to the increase in pressure making the once good foot bad... Lol too much info but it never hurts to check the other side to see if he is holding that one up or has any swollen joints.. but I think your guy just had something irritant on that foot. But I would love to see a beautiful shot of the whole bird just cuz I want a golden conures!!
TiredOldMan Supporting Member (11-11-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Parrots:

Quote: Originally Posted by Laurasea View Post
You can just soak a paper towel in the betadine solution and hold it on the foot if that is easier. Oneing I forgot to add is that bumble foot is usually caused by a problem on the opposite side or foot of the bird causing them to learn more weight on the good foot...then that leads to the increase in pressure making the once good foot bad... Lol too much info but it never hurts to check the other side to see if he is holding that one up or has any swollen joints.. but I think your guy just had something irritant on that foot. But I would love to see a beautiful shot of the whole bird just cuz I want a golden conures!!
Good suggestion! much less traumatic than holding his foot in water lol. i was able to trick him into standing on it. the red seems more pinkish today, hoping it goes away altogether.

would yall say I should have more rope perches? would those be better on his feet?

Here you go! he had pumpkin for the first time and tore it to shreds lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrs.pants For This Useful Post:
Laurasea (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:22 PM
Parrots:

So cute!!!!!!
mrs.pants (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
CAG Hen-Gracie, U2 Rooster-Anakin
Thanked 1,259 Times in 417 Posts
TiredOldMan is on a distinguished road

I'm personally not a fan of the cotton rope perches. If going rope I would prefer hemp, sisal, or seagrass.

IMHO natural wood of varying diameters with knots and all the other imperfections are best.

JMO so it's worth what you paid for it.

You don't have to be crazy to love parrots........but it helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to TiredOldMan For This Useful Post:
Laurasea (11-12-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 AM
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thanked 4,633 Times in 1,962 Posts
EllenD is on a distinguished road

Okay...Well it's not Bumblefoot, that's a good thing (if the only red area is that one right under his toenail)...It looks like somewhere he sits often has a spot on it where his toe wraps-around that is irritating it, OR he actually may have gotten his toe/toenail stuck in something, or he actually could have chewed on that too, no way to really know, but that looks like it is infected, especially since it's right next to the toenail.

The Betadine soaks are good for that, make sure he doesn't drink any of it, lol, and you may also want to put a bit of antibiotic ointment on it after the soaks too, like Neosporin. If that doesn't totally clear it up or if the redness/swelling spreads down his toe or into his foot then he needs to get to his CAV, but it doesn't look too bad.
TiredOldMan Supporting Member (11-13-2018)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Health Care
Remove Ads