Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2020, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Fang (9yo (ab)normal grey cockatiel), HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly (purple-crowned lorikeet gotcha date 28 Oct 2018) & Valentino (budgie, gotcha date 14 Feb 2019 at approx 6mo)
Thanked 9,657 Times in 2,584 Posts
LaManuka is on a distinguished road
Re: Conure Wont Stop Laying Eggs

If you do go down the track of boiling, you can do so on your stovetop in a saucepan. Start with the egg in the water at room temperature and steadily bring it to the boil to prevent the shell from cracking. Once it’s boiled for about 5 minutes or so let it cool and mark it with a felt tip pen, that way if she lays more you’ll know which one is already boiled. Boiling them will prevent your hen making a nasty smelly mess if she breaks the shell. My Lilly frequently breaks the shell of hers after about 2 weeks of determined sitting. You can also get those fake eggs I mentioned and allow your bird to work off her hormonal urges on those. The *only* issue I found with fake eggs is that, because they're indestructible, Lilly will sit on hers indefinitely, so after about 4 weeks or so I have to take them away. She would still be sitting on her last lot from December 2019 if it was up to her! But she hasn't laid any more since so fingers crossed!!

"Words speak us more than we speak them.” Hercule Poirot (He may be fictional, but he’s my favourite “Belgian upstart”!)

Last edited by LaManuka; 05-24-2020 at 06:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to LaManuka For This Useful Post:
mrsnibbles (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:17 PM
mrsnibbles is on a distinguished road

Well I moved her cage to a different location, took out her happy hut, took out her toys that have mirrors and took out her fruit blend food. I gave her new toys for distraction and a new cuttlebone as well as a mineral block. I still left her eggs on the bottom and I am going to wait and see if this helps. For now I will order some dummy eggs just in case this doesnt work but fingers crossed that it does because she laid another egg last night before I changed everything so she is at 10 eggs now. Wish me luck and thank you again!
The Following User Says Thank You to mrsnibbles For This Useful Post:
LaManuka  (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:21 PM

Unfortunately she drops her eggs from her hut and its a tall cage so they all crack to some degree when they hit the bottom. So far only one has not completely cracked open but does have a small crack, but she has done that every time she laid eggs and this is the first time she has done this.
LaManuka  (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Fang (9yo (ab)normal grey cockatiel), HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly (purple-crowned lorikeet gotcha date 28 Oct 2018) & Valentino (budgie, gotcha date 14 Feb 2019 at approx 6mo)
Thanked 9,657 Times in 2,584 Posts
LaManuka is on a distinguished road

Yes in this case replacing them with fake eggs is probably your best bet. This along with the environmental changes to her housing and diet may be enough to stop the cycle but if it doesn’t, please do consider a trip to the vet. Sometimes it’s extremely difficult to get them out of that laying mindset and some professional intervention may be in order. Good luck!

"Words speak us more than we speak them.” Hercule Poirot (He may be fictional, but he’s my favourite “Belgian upstart”!)
The Following User Says Thank You to LaManuka For This Useful Post:
mrsnibbles (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:40 PM

I hope the fake eggs can get here fast! So far she hasnt shown that she is upset with the changes but we will see over the next few days! I will keep you all posted thank you again for all the help!
LaManuka  (05-24-2020)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures