Holiday Cage for visiting family etc

TheNamesLuna

Jul 30, 2018
UK
Parrots
Pineapple Conure hatched sometime April 2018
I had a budgie for 13 years who died in 2014
I am going to stay with my family over Christmas & new Year & I don't want to leave Luna at home alone so she is coming with me!
I need a cage that's going to be OK for her for a few days over Christmas & NY, but that will also do up to 2 weeks when I go on holiday, as she will stay with friends & her home cage is too big to move etc.

I have been looking on Amazon at cages & I would like the opinion of others - stressing that its mainly for a few days here & there, and at MAX 2 weeks when I am on holiday. It's never going to be a main cage.
The only other times it will get used is when I am in my craft room & Luna is with me or if we go in the garden in the summer & Luna needs a safe place to enjoy the sunshine!

Can I have feedback from others as to what they think of the following ideas.
I may have thrown in one or two in that I like but I think are totally not right for Luna!!! lol
Thanks all :green1:

Cage 1

Cage 2

Cage 3

Cage 4

Cage 5

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Do you plan on having your bird sleep in the cage at the destination? How large is your bird's typical cage?

OP
T

TheNamesLuna

Jul 30, 2018
UK
Parrots
Do you plan on having your bird sleep in the cage at the destination? How large is your bird's typical cage?

Yes, she will be sleeping in the cage when away.
I know these are much smaller than the one at home, but it needs to be small enough to be transportable & portable.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I was just thinking that if you wanted to complicate things slightly, you could get a cheap but decent one for the car and then an easy-to-assemble but larger cage for the destination (assuming it was collapsible and small enough to fit in the car when deconstructed).

I do this with my bird, but I am still working on finding an easy-to-assemble cage for sleeping etc because I have a larger bird. Currently, I have full-size cages at the destinations she frequents, but I am on the hunt for a better solution.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Not the round one. I'd say #1 also.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
This is by far my favorite travel carrier, and it could be used as a vacation cage as well. Yes, I know it’s expensive, but it’s made of lightweight aluminum and it’s extremely sturdy. It doesn’t even require hardly any assembly (the sides just snap together). It’s made by King’s cages: King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

Here are a few other travel cages:
http://a.co/d/dtDIhzr
http://a.co/d/eRMSdps
http://a.co/d/j3xWiwl
http://a.co/d/dN6GhNM (I have to say, this one looks great for the price!)

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Out of all of those I also agree that #1 is the best...

Just a side-note, you have a photo in there of a Vision cage, which are fantastic cages, but the one you show is a size "small", which is way too small for a Green Cheek, even if it's only for 2 weeks. However, if you were to go to the Vision cage that is the "Medium TALL", it would be a great short-term cage for a Green Cheek...Vision makes both the size Medium and size Large in a "single" height and then a "tall" height, and the "tall" height are basically the regular one doubled.

I own 4 different Vision cages and I absolutely love them in every way. In fact, my Green Cheek, Bowie, his regular, main-cage is a Vision Large-Tall, with the extra-thick bar diameter (The size Large-Tall only comes in a regular bar diameter and then an extra-thick bar-diameter, the other sizes only come in the normal bar diameter, which is also fine for a Green Cheek). For a Green Cheek it would absolutely have to be the "Tall" size, but either the Medium or the large would be fine...The Vision cages are deceivingly massive, you can't really get a feel for their size until you see one. I became familiar with them from working at a Rescue and having birds surrendered with them...The one that I use for Bowie's main-cage is again the Large-Tall, and it's absolutely huge! The actual space inside the cage is much larger than most of the common "floor cages" you see a lot of people keep their Green Cheeks in, and he loves climbing up and down and swinging around from toy to toy...I love them because they have the main food and water dishes at the bottom of the cage on either side, and from the bottom up about 6 inches or more is covered the entire way around the cage with acrylic, so that it's impossible for them to spit food out of the cage, and then on top of that each food/water dish chamber has a "visor" over it to cover directly above the dish...The best part about them is that to clean/empty the bottom you simply pull-up on the clip on each side of the cage, which releases the entire bottom of the cage and the 6-inches of acrylic, including both food/water dishes in their chambers and then of course the bottom grate, so then you can just set the actual cage portion down on the floor while you clean out the bottom and replace the newspaper under the grate. It's fantastic. They also come with Ergonomic-Perches that are different diameters and shapes throughout their entire length for their feet! And they actually make a bunch of little accessories and toys that are made to clip-into the cages, the only one I have is the Bathtub, which is actually pretty awesome, you just open both of either set of doors, and the Bathtub attaches to and covers the entrance/exit to the cage, and sticks out forward, it's huge! Bowie loves it... Also, they are extremely easy to put together and take apart. Oh, also, both the Medium-Tall and the Large-Tall have 2 sets of double-doors, so you have 2 doors near the bottom of the cage and then 2 doors right above the middle of the cage, and each individual door folds outward and stays up in a flat position so the birds can sit on them, just like a porch...AND each door has it's own individual latch, and all 4 latches are totally on the OUTSIDE of the cage, and are completely out of reach of the bird, they can't even touch the latch at all, so there's no way they can escape. It's impossible. I also like that they have a flat-top because I built a play-top for Bowie, Lita, and Duff on top of each of their cages...They would be a great cage to use as a portable cage, because they are so easy to take apart and put back together, but also incredibly sturdy.

***I have 2 of the Vision size Large-Tall cages (L02 for regular bars, and L12 for the extra-thick bars), one for my Green Cheek and the other for my Quaker. Then I have one of the size Medium-Tall (M02) for my Cockatiel. These are their main-cages, so that's how large they actually are. I also have a size Small-Tall (S02) that I originally bought for 2 English Budgies to live in, but then I built an indoor aviary and changed my entire set-up around, so I'm not using that one right now, but I can tell you that neither of Vision size Small would work for a Green Cheek, not even in the short-term. However, the Medium-Tall (M02) would be perfect, more than large enough for a Green Cheek for a few weeks. I'm a fan, and Bowie absolutely loves his cage, and it's absolutely massive. I have ladders going up and down all over the cage, along with plastic, interlocking rings draped throughout, and he loves to swing from the rings onto the ladders and back onto the next set of rings...It's kind of like he's playing Donkey Kong!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I am an utter barbarian (and I do not have a car, so I need collapsable AND portable so I can take it by bus and train) so doggy-benches all the way.
Lots people here use them as travel/holliday/garden cages.

Just make sure you get the good quality ones so they do not end up with zincpoisening or chromeflakes etc. and the bottom is a solid metal one.

Oh...and always add those safe c-hooks/baby-carbiners to prevent collapse!
It great they fold up, no so great if it happens with the parrot inside :p
For larger birds when they stay in one/ every bird who travels : do not forget to secure the doors as well!

For a small bird you could even go as far as to get a large-as-possible-but-still-easily-transportable bench and just add the normal birdy-mesh to the outside of the pannels.
Huge fold-out-cage in an instant!

OP
T

TheNamesLuna

Jul 30, 2018
UK
Parrots
Thanks for everyone's input.

Cage 1 was my first choice & is the one I am about to order.
I am not ordering the tall one as Luna never uses the lower half of her main cage. She is an up high bird! It's as if there is an invisible layer in her cage and she never goes below half way, no matter if I put treats down there or toys or anything.
I am going to get the stand that goes with the cage for longer holidays, and for trips in the car to family for a few days etc she can be on a table or shelf.

The small round one was one I liked but I know is NO good for Luna, it's way too small.

Because of my health etc I don't want to have to fiddle with putting a cage together. Also if I am ill & Luna is being moved by someone else, it needs to be easy & not something someone can screw up!!! lol

It will easily fit into my car fully together & Luna can travel in style!!!

Thanks everyone - photos when it arrives next week sometime.

Most Reactions

Latest posts