Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
“Kiwi” the Lovebird and “Gretel” the Cockatiel
Wingnut is on a distinguished road
Moving North...

Hi everyone! I currently live in south Florida with my olive Lovebird "Kiwi". Recently I have been offered the career of a lifetime in western South Carolina, and will be moving most likely in a few months...
Coming from an area with no seasons and always warm (95 degrees on Christmas Eve, yuck!) , I am a little concerned about moving north with my lovebird. Obviously theres seasons, and the winters can get pretty freezing. I have never had to worry about keeping any of my pets warm (other than the occassional cold snap of 60 degrees here).
I was wondering on what you all might do when it gets cold? Space heaters, fire, etc. Also, when i am at work during the day, I am VERY afraid of a heater catching fire...I just dont know what to prepare for :/
Old 07-13-2019, 01:47 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Baby - Sun Conure; Tango - GCC; Bindi - Sun Conure; Stanley - Pineapple GCC Screamer “Scree” - Cockatiel
Thanked 2,602 Times in 953 Posts
Jen5200 is on a distinguished road
Re: Moving North...

Congratulations on the opportunity! I will say that in areas where temps fluctuate and there are seasons - houses do tend to come with better insulation and heating systems. If you do need a space heater - there are some bird-safe options (I have a terribly insulated house, and live where we sometimes have winter so have a space heater). There are also lovely little bird warmers by K&H (snuggle up bird warmer) that my birds love in the winter. I leave them on all winter and they are just a low-heat warmer. I do make sure that I have covers for their carriers, in case I need to take them outside in cooler weather. Otherwise, house temp is usually good for the birds and the biggest thing is to make sure that they are not in an area that is drafty.
Bindi (Sun conure adopted Jan 2018, hatched approx 2011, female)
Screamer (Cockatiel adopted April 2018, hatched approx 2012, female)
Stanley (Pineapple GCC adopted Aug 2018, hatched approx 2014, male)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jen5200 For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (07-13-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers