I have a confession to make...

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Nestled in the beautiful mountains of Perry County
Parrots
Mr. Sunshine, a 15 to 20 year old Panama Amazon Parrot.
I just realized I am fearful of my Dear Mr. Sunshine. He is so ready to step up but I am nervous. I am a first time parrot owner, so, I am very inexperienced and lack confidence.

We have built some rapport the past few days and he has given me many signs that he wants to step up. So, obviously he has learned this somewhere in his 15 to 20 year old history.

At first it was wisdom to give him time (It will be 4 weeks he's been with us tomorrow) but now it is just my intimidation.

I keep having these heart to hearts with him telling him, "It's ok, you're mommy's a scaredy cat, I just need to know you are not going to bite my finger off. Please be patient with me."

He of course chatters back. He has been playing with a toy I made for him, with me, and will take food from my open hand, when at first he would take from my fingers only but bolt at the sight of my open hand.

He's such a gorgeous creature and I can't fathom him trusting me to do right by him specially after all he has been through. I don't want to let him down in any way. I am so unsure of myself, I am afraid my fear will spook him.

Please help me so I can help him. Any wisdom and advice is welcome.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I know the anxiety you feel. It really is inexperience and lack of confidence derived therefrom.

The most basic answer: time. Just give it time. The more step ups you get under your belt, the more unique experience you have where you get to learn sunshine’s idiosyncrasies/boundaries, the more confidence you’ll get.

Answer: just keep working with him and continue to build the bond. Start some target training, as a good step. Target training is so useful in many respects but the most foundational aspect of ANY training is building that communication. You learn to communicate with your bird, and your bird learns to communicate with you.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
You’ll both build trust at a speed that works for you - and this goes both ways. Just relax and move at a speed that you are comfortable with, so you won’t project fear. You’ll build a better relationship if you aren’t scaring each other. You are interacting with him lots, and the rest will just come with time. The first time I was bitten scared me a bit, but now it really doesn’t phase me. Keep in mind that when he steps up he may use his beak to check the stability of what he is stepping on to, this is normal and isn’t a bite. Try not to flinch when he does this - you’ll scare both of you :).

You’ve got this, just take your time!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Fear of receiving pain can only be overcome by experiencing the pain. Yaaa, right! But there is some truth to that statement. Until you leave the fear behind you and accept that at some point, you will get bitten and accept that you will live though the event will the fear leave you.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons that sit just beyond your fear. To truly enjoy this World, you have to take the next step. Let's face a reality here: You have bitten yourself, by accident, but you have. And it hurt, no question about it. Your month is a very common place for this to happen. Did you stop eating or licking your lips, etc. No! You suffered a bit and when right back to living your life!!! Same thing here!

You will get bitten, you will live to possible be bitten again. Life will go on!!!

As soon as one shines the light of reality on one's fear, it fades away!

So, bite your finger and get over the reality of the event and look forward to an ever growing loving relationship.

Vantage Point:
It is never the fault of the Amazon!
It is always the fault of the Human!
By viewing your interactions with your Amazon from this vantage point, you will see what you are doing wrong and correct it.

Enjoy! The momentary pain is worth the heartwarming Love!!!

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The 2 most important this to watch are his tail and his eyes.
If the tail is spread and his pupils are small better to try some other time.

Parrots can pick up on your nervousness.
If your bird is moving slowly and putting his beak on your hand he is probably not trying to bite you just steady himself and checking how stable you can hold him.
If he is going for a bite he will move so fast you wont be able to avoid it.

Don't offer him your finger, offer him your fist. It makes it harder for him to get a good grip with his beak and he can't do as much damage that way.

The hardest time to pick up your bird is after you have received a nasty bite from him. At that point you know what he can do. You have to have the "no fear" approach and let him know you still trust HIM.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Totally understand your apprehension! Amazons have serious beaks and can cause significant damage. They are capable of reading your body language and may perceive reticence as weakness.

First, please understand all parrots bite, and Amazons are not uniformly docile. Thankfully there are techniques to minimize the likelihood of an unpleasant surprise.

Two helpful threads:
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/65119-i-love-amazons-going-journey.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/54250-amazon-body-language.html

When you are ready to handle Mr. Sunshine for the first time, let him reach a bit to make contact. If he lunges, you can bet a bite is imminent. Watch for hostility in the form of fanned (open) tail and rapidly pinning eyes. (cycling between wide and pinpoint pupils) Some parrots will reach first with a semi-closed beak, using it as a third foot. If he appears mellow but bites, try to resist temptation to react as that would be negative reinforcement.

If he steps up successfully, resist the tendency to climb on your shoulder until you sufficiently trust. Shoulder privileges ought be restricted as great damage can occur to your neck/face.

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Parrots
I know the anxiety you feel. It really is inexperience and lack of confidence derived therefrom.

The most basic answer: time. Just give it time. The more step ups you get under your belt, the more unique experience you have where you get to learn sunshine’s idiosyncrasies/boundaries, the more confidence you’ll get.

Answer: just keep working with him and continue to build the bond. Start some target training, as a good step. Target training is so useful in many respects but the most foundational aspect of ANY training is building that communication. You learn to communicate with your bird, and your bird learns to communicate with you.

Thank you.

I started target training him the third day. Peanuts really motivate him, especially since they were stricken from his diet. But today he ate sunflowers from my open hand, a first. He did try a nibble at my finger and nervous as I was I didn't move but said softly ah ah ah. He went back to the sunflowers and I breathed.

I am coming from cockatiels that sit on your finger to a big bird that must sit on your hand or arm. I just want him to feel confident and I know he won't until I do.

So I guess it IS just time and trust; BOTH ways.

It's OK, I'm no quitter. I just want this sweet bird to have a good rest of his life. He's counting on me.

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Parrots
Keep in mind that when he steps up he may use his beak to check the stability of what he is stepping on to, this is normal and isn’t a bite. Try not to flinch when he does this - you’ll scare both of you :).

You’ve got this, just take your time!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Parrots
So, bit your finger and get over the reality of the event and look forward to an ever growing loving relationship.

Vantage Point:
It is never the fault of the Amazon!
It is always the fault of the Human!
By viewing your interactions with your Amazon from this vantage point, you will see what you are doing wrong and correct it.

Enjoy! The momentary pain is worth the heartwarming Love!!!
I like my truth straight and undiluted. Thank you!

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Parrots
Parrots can pick up on your nervousness.

Don't offer him your finger, offer him your fist. It makes it harder for him to get a good grip with his beak and he can't do as much damage that way.

The hardest time to pick up your bird is after you have received a nasty bite from him. At that point you know what he can do. You have to have the "no fear" approach and let him know you still trust HIM.

Thank you. That is some great advice.

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Parrots
Two helpful threads:
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/65119-i-love-amazons-going-journey.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/54250-amazon-body-language.html

When you are ready to handle Mr. Sunshine for the first time, let him reach a bit to make contact. If he lunges, you can bet a bite is imminent. Watch for hostility in the form of fanned (open) tail and rapidly pinning eyes. (cycling between wide and pinpoint pupils) Some parrots will reach first with a semi-closed beak, using it as a third foot. If he appears mellow but bites, try to resist temptation to react as that would be negative reinforcement.

If he steps up successfully, resist the tendency to climb on your shoulder until you sufficiently trust. Shoulder privileges ought be restricted as great damage can occur to your neck/face.

I am devouring those two threads daily!

I love your advice, but Mr. Sunshine wants to step up in his cage.

He has only come out a total of four times to sit on his cage door. Each time it has been for longer. But I didn't ask him to step up then because he is just getting comfortable with his surroundings and new home.

But that is where I planned on first asking him to step up. Instead he offers his foot to me while in his cage a few times a day now.

I would feel much more comfortable doing it from outside his cage. And maybe that is the plan I need to stick to.

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Parrots
I am contemplating a visit to an aviary or pet store where I could hold an amazon or two. It could help my confidence in how it feels to hold a bird the weight and size of Mr. Sunshine. Might be a plan.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I think visiting with larger birds to help your conference level is not a bad idea. ANYTHING that helps build confidence (for either of you) is a good idea in my book.

Just a little confidence boost for you, I saw in another thread about sniffing our birds... If Mr Sunshine is notably stronger and sweeter smelling when you're around him, that's a really good thing. In my house, we call it "happy bird smell." I LOVE IT!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Parrots
If Mr Sunshine is notably stronger and sweeter smelling when you're around him, that's a really good thing. In my house, we call it "happy bird smell." I LOVE IT!
Yes! It is a heavenly sweet aroma and I do love it. I will check out that thread!

And yes, I am definitely look into handling another large bird before I hold Mr. Sunshine the first time.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
This made me smile. I'm still nervous of my Alexandrine, McCoy, for absolutely no good reason! He very very rarely bites and is good at telling me when he's not happy without biting - probably because I pay attention to him and he doesn't have to bite to communicate with me. He's been here 2 years! My husband thinks I'm an idiot, but McCoy still loves me 🙂.

I guess that's the other thing to think about. Your parrot doesn't know you're scared of him stepping up and he doesn't really care if he steps up or not.

I'm more comfortable with him flying to me or jumping onto me so you could work on that as well as the step up?

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Parrots
This made me smile. I'm still nervous of my Alexandrine, McCoy, for absolutely no good reason! He very very rarely bites and is good at telling me when he's not happy without biting - probably because I pay attention to him and he doesn't have to bite to communicate with me. He's been here 2 years! My husband thinks I'm an idiot, but McCoy still loves me 🙂.

I guess that's the other thing to think about. Your parrot doesn't know you're scared of him stepping up and he doesn't really care if he steps up or not.

I'm more comfortable with him flying to me or jumping onto me so you could work on that as well as the step up?

Thank you. This made me feel better! :green:

Most Reactions

Latest posts