Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Amazons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2019, 10:35 PM
Parrots:
Mr. Sunshine, a 12+ year old Yellow Fronted Amazon Parrot. First time parront.
Location: I live in the mountains Perry County, Pa. a very rural setting not more than 10 minutes from stores.
RobynnLynne is on a distinguished road
Re: I have a confession to make...

Quote: Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Two helpful threads:
I Love Amazons - An On-Going Journey!
Amazon body language

When you are ready to handle Mr. Sunshine for the first time, let him reach a bit to make contact. If he lunges, you can bet a bite is imminent. Watch for hostility in the form of fanned (open) tail and rapidly pinning eyes. (cycling between wide and pinpoint pupils) Some parrots will reach first with a semi-closed beak, using it as a third foot. If he appears mellow but bites, try to resist temptation to react as that would be negative reinforcement.

If he steps up successfully, resist the tendency to climb on your shoulder until you sufficiently trust. Shoulder privileges ought be restricted as great damage can occur to your neck/face.
I am devouring those two threads daily!

I love your advice, but Mr. Sunshine wants to step up in his cage.

He has only come out a total of four times to sit on his cage door. Each time it has been for longer. But I didn't ask him to step up then because he is just getting comfortable with his surroundings and new home.

But that is where I planned on first asking him to step up. Instead he offers his foot to me while in his cage a few times a day now.

I would feel much more comfortable doing it from outside his cage. And maybe that is the plan I need to stick to.
SailBoat Supporting Member (07-14-2019), Scott  (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 11:01 PM
Parrots:
Location: I live in the mountains Perry County, Pa. a very rural setting not more than 10 minutes from stores.

I am contemplating a visit to an aviary or pet store where I could hold an amazon or two. It could help my confidence in how it feels to hold a bird the weight and size of Mr. Sunshine. Might be a plan.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:27 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Patches the Grand Eclectus Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Thanked 1,632 Times in 310 Posts
saxguy64 is on a distinguished road

I think visiting with larger birds to help your conference level is not a bad idea. ANYTHING that helps build confidence (for either of you) is a good idea in my book.

Just a little confidence boost for you, I saw in another thread about sniffing our birds... If Mr Sunshine is notably stronger and sweeter smelling when you're around him, that's a really good thing. In my house, we call it "happy bird smell." I LOVE IT!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saxguy64 For This Useful Post:
AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (07-14-2019), RobynnLynne (07-14-2019), SailBoat Supporting Member (07-14-2019), Scott  (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Parrots:

Quote: Originally Posted by saxguy64 View Post
If Mr Sunshine is notably stronger and sweeter smelling when you're around him, that's a really good thing. In my house, we call it "happy bird smell." I LOVE IT!
Yes! It is a heavenly sweet aroma and I do love it. I will check out that thread!

And yes, I am definitely look into handling another large bird before I hold Mr. Sunshine the first time.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:18 PM
Parrots:
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie, Spock - Common Mynah, McCoy - Alexandrine
Jottlebot is on a distinguished road

This made me smile. I'm still nervous of my Alexandrine, McCoy, for absolutely no good reason! He very very rarely bites and is good at telling me when he's not happy without biting - probably because I pay attention to him and he doesn't have to bite to communicate with me. He's been here 2 years! My husband thinks I'm an idiot, but McCoy still loves me 🙂.

I guess that's the other thing to think about. Your parrot doesn't know you're scared of him stepping up and he doesn't really care if he steps up or not.

I'm more comfortable with him flying to me or jumping onto me so you could work on that as well as the step up?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jottlebot For This Useful Post:
RobynnLynne (07-14-2019), SailBoat Supporting Member (07-14-2019), Scott  (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 03:26 PM
Parrots:

Quote: Originally Posted by Jottlebot View Post
This made me smile. I'm still nervous of my Alexandrine, McCoy, for absolutely no good reason! He very very rarely bites and is good at telling me when he's not happy without biting - probably because I pay attention to him and he doesn't have to bite to communicate with me. He's been here 2 years! My husband thinks I'm an idiot, but McCoy still loves me 🙂.

I guess that's the other thing to think about. Your parrot doesn't know you're scared of him stepping up and he doesn't really care if he steps up or not.

I'm more comfortable with him flying to me or jumping onto me so you could work on that as well as the step up?
Thank you. This made me feel better!
Jottlebot (07-14-2019), SailBoat Supporting Member (07-14-2019), Scott  (07-14-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Amazons