so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I recently came back from vacation in Southern Oregon visiting my Mother and Father.

I am afraid my Mother is nearing the end of her time on this earth. She has had a host of medical problems (high blood, Glaucoma almost untreatable, poor kidney function) and most recently bladder cancer.
It looks as though the cancer has spread and she has tumors on both kidney and liver.
Due to blood thinners and all the other problems I don't think surgery is an option at this point. She is currently being cared for by her partner who is a retired hospice care nurse so she could not be in better hands.

I know she will be going to a better place.

My biggest problem is my Fids will not allow my entire family to go and give our final respects. We have no one I trust to house sit for them and I can't imagen trying to board 12 birds all at once.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My deepest sympathies to you. What a difficult time to go through. I understand about the fids, that's a hard place to be..

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
You and your fids and family will always have a place in my heart and prayers, dearest Tex. You and I go way back, and you're very special to me. You keep us posted, y'hear? xo

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very sorry to learn of your Mother's conditions, Wes. I hope the doctors can brainstorm a method to best help, and in any case keep her free of pain.

Are there any experienced pet sitters to watch your birds for a few days? Perhaps trusted employees from the vet clinic?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
My heart aches with yours dear friend! Traveled this path last year and understand where you are.
I hope this does not sound hardhearted, but consider scheduling individuals visiting, not everyone being there at the same time. This allows individuals to spend personal time, which is more comforting for your parent over a room filled.
There is no right way, I only hope that this suggestion helps.
Huge Warm Amazon Feather Hugs and Prays.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
My heart is with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
You are in a situation those of us with aging parents will all be someday. It is not an easy position to manage. I would advise you look up bird-friendly groups in your area, for example the sorts of online forums or facebook groups one turns to retrieve missing birds and such, and solicit what information you can on hiring another "bird person". Such an arrangement is what I have and hopefully, will continue to have, as a back-up to my current setup of having my Ma look after the birds when I'm away vacationing. Succinctly put, your particular local area of So-Cal must have other parrot-havers beyond yourself, surely.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
At this point my mom is still holding on.
They have a hospital bed set up next to the sliding glass door. she can look out and see the mountains in the background.
Up close I am sure her partner is feeding the deer. The come very close. After the deer feed the other wildlife come in and get what is left.
Wild turkey, Blue Jay's and crow's are the most common visitors.
If I can find a picture from her place I will try to post it.

She has hospice workers coming by to care for her and they have her on pain meds that are keeping her from suffering too much.

At this time there is no real solution for a bird watcher.
LA county is still under quarantine for Newcastle's so that makes things even more difficult.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
incoming 1.jpg

deer 5.jpg

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wes my friend,my heart goes out to you with all sincerity :15:
I also wish I lived a bit closer.

I had my best friend (of nearly 50 years) pass a few years back under the same circumstances. He awoke one morning with his back killing him and after x-rays the doc removed one kidney only to find the other one,and his liver,severly affected and the docs told him "sorry there is nothing we can do for you"
Gary lived another two years and passed at 58 years young. :15:

I am so so sorry to read this.

Jim

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Mother passed away this morning around 7:30 am.
I was told she passed peacefully and went out the way she wanted.

Will be heading back up to Oregon for the serves in the next couple of days.
I do wish there was some way my Son could come with me but my wife is not capable of taking care of the fids. She is too much afraid of the beak to handle them in case of an emergency.

Thank you all for being there for me.:40:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
My Mother passed away this morning around 7:30 am.

I was told she passed peacefully and went out the way she wanted.

Will be heading back up to Oregon for the serves in the next couple of days.

I do wish there was some way my Son could come with me but my wife is not capable of taking care of the fids. She is too much afraid of the beak to handle them in case of an emergency.

Thank you all for being there for me.:40:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I wish there was something I could do to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am so sorry Wes, my deepest condolences to you and your family.

Wish I could help, but I am primary caregiver to my mom; she is the primary reason I retired early.

Most Reactions

Latest posts