How young to start Shallow Bathing Baby Eclectus?

Jayson_Black

Jan 20, 2018
Finley, NSW, Australia
Parrots
2x Eclectus-bonded Pair, 1 x Eclectus Chick (Hand Rearing from Incubation) (Male). 3X Cockatiel (2 of them hand reared from 4 weeks), 1 X Australian Magpie (reared from Fledgling), 2 X Budgie (Hand re
Hi all. Day 23 with our baby Eclectus. All seems well, except there is a small amount of dry poop building up around the baby's butt. It's not too bad, but I am concerned if I don't act now it may become a problem in the future.

The other day I tried using damp paper towel at 40c (104F) but it really didn't work. The Poop is quite dry. it would seem that it (His/Her Butt) needs a good soaking. But I fear the baby is too young for this. At what age is it OK to start giving the baby Eclectus a shallow bath? Any Advice on this subject would be most welcome.

Thank you!

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I would use a damp warm water cloth on this and not risk a bath. Look up treatment of "pasty butt" in poultry. Any idea why it is happening? Pasty butt is not something I have had happen with baby parrots before. Poultry, yes but not baby parrots. Are you sure the formula is mixed right and the baby is getting enough fluids?

Eta: just dribble warm water on it from the rag and be patient. Work slowly and don't pull. Baby parrot skin tears easily. Is the vent itself caked at all? This CAN be fatal if the vent becomes glued shut and is not fixed quickly enough. Make sure to keep Baby in the brooder when the water is working to soften the poo. Make sure to watch temps CLOSELY of Baby and water. It will seem to take forever if like how it works with baby poultry, but it will work if you keep at it.

Last edited:
OP
Jayson_Black

Jayson_Black

Jan 20, 2018
Finley, NSW, Australia
Parrots
2x Eclectus-bonded Pair, 1 x Eclectus Chick (Hand Rearing from Incubation) (Male). 3X Cockatiel (2 of them hand reared from 4 weeks), 1 X Australian Magpie (reared from Fledgling), 2 X Budgie (Hand re
Thank you for your reply. No, the vent is not blocked. its just a little bit of a build up on some of the down around and near the vent. It's happening because he has not been lifting himself up quite enough when he poops sometimes. I also suspect its because we have been using Paper toweling instead of wood shavings. I purchased some wood shavings, but it had way to much dust in it IMO. I think I will try to use a screen mesh to remove the dust and try again with it. I will try a damp cloth again, this time I will dribble water on the affected area instead of just dabbing. It's not really that bad, i just dont want it to get any worse. Also dont worry, I understand how fragile a baby birds skin is. I definitely will not be forcing it. I will take my time and be patient. So I wont be bathing the baby yet. However, just for information's sake, when is ok to begin bathing a young bird? Fully feathered? Some feathers, emergence of pin feathers? Thanks again :)

Last edited:

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I wouldn't introduce standing water to a bird who would still be inside a nest if not being hand reared. Fledgling stage would probably be ok with close supervision and of course still shallow water. Keep in mind that they chill easily, so even at the fledgeling stage use warm water and make sure Baby is fully dry before bed time and protected from drafts. I'm sure you know about keeping Baby warm, but people from google may come upon this thread and they might not be aware of how important temperature and protection from drafts is. Even in a warm room, a draft is bad news(especially for a wet baby bird).

OP
Jayson_Black

Jayson_Black

Jan 20, 2018
Finley, NSW, Australia
Parrots
I wouldn't introduce standing water to a bird who would still be inside a nest if not being hand reared. Fledgling stage would probably be ok with close supervision and of course still shallow water. Keep in mind that they chill easily, so even at the fledgeling stage use warm water and make sure Baby is fully dry before bed time and protected from drafts. I'm sure you know about keeping Baby warm, but people from google may come upon this thread and they might not be aware of how important temperature and protection from drafts is. Even in a warm room, a draft is bad news(especially for a wet baby bird).

Sounds Good. I wont give him a bath until Fledgling stage. I cleaned him up well by just Dribbling Warm Water on his behind, then absorbing the dampness with premium Toilet tissue (It's very soft). I worry paper toweling is too harsh abrasive on his skin.

Most Reactions

Latest posts