Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels

>
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2020, 06:00 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
chinensis8 is on a distinguished road
Question Adopted a Wild Cockatiel at 9 months old last year

My parents have recently adopted a Female cockatiel from a bird farm not too far from our home. When she first arrived she was just fine and she adapted so well to us. She is an absolute sweetheart that loves to groom all of us and be around us.

The only thing is that she doesn't like to be handled. Stepping up to our fingers is easy enough but as soon as she sees our fingers headed her way in an odd manner she would start running away. This makes it extremely difficult for me to put her in the cage, her pet carrier for when we go to the vet and for giving her medicine and vitamins.

What can I do to make her not feel scared of my hands?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2020, 08:21 AM
Flboy's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Greater Orlando area, Florida
Thanks: 12,704
Thanked 11,345 Times in 5,305 Posts
Flboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Adopted a Wild Cockatiel at 9 months old last year

Hi, my JoJo was also fearful of being groped! It took a while, but I found explaining what I was doing and slowly reaching with hands flat, palm up worked! Also, reassociate hands into something good! Always a treat! Lots of reaching just to say hi and give a treat!
__________________
..David..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flboy For This Useful Post:
AmyMyBlueFront  (01-05-2020)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2020, 12:30 PM
AmyMyBlueFront's Avatar
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-( And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Connecticut
Thanks: 7,850
Thanked 9,493 Times in 3,626 Posts
AmyMyBlueFront is on a distinguished road
Re: Adopted a Wild Cockatiel at 9 months old last year

My BB is a real oddball! Our nightly routine is..in the evening both Amy and Beebs come out of their houses. BB on my finger and we walk towards "Uncle David" (my brother) BB has no problem at all to flapflap and land on David's shoulder,where he will wolf-whistle and general chatter to him,for about five minutes,then that's enough and BB will start chirping/calling for me. All I have to say is "come here BB"he doesn't even have to SEE me and it's flapflapflap of him seeking me out.
After a while when we are in my bed room watching tv, I lay a big towel on my bed (so he doesn't do his business on it ) with his little T-perch and toy's. David will come in looking for "birdie kisses" this is when it gets interesting lol. BB wants NOTHING to do with him! He'll jump off his perch,run all over the bed with his hat high in the air,all the while saying "c'mon...c'mon!" Poor Uncle David is climbing all over the bed pleading with BB to give kisses lol. The bird will climb on me..run behind me,hang off the side of the bed..just wants nothing to do with his uncle lol. Frustrates David big time lol.
I think its just a nightly "game" that BB loves to play with him.


Jim
__________________
Amy my beautiful Blue Front. Who was four months old when she picked me to go home with to her "forever" home in 4/1990.. DNA'd MALE in 2015
Jonesy, a cute Goffin 'too
that had to be rehomed :-(

And a Grey 'teil, BB...a.k.a. The Beebs
that was 18 weeks old 5/20/2016,






Rest in peace,my precious Smokey..4/2015 at 28 years young
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AmyMyBlueFront For This Useful Post:
Flboy Supporting Member (01-06-2020)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2020, 01:05 PM
1oldparroter's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
I am 70 and been studying parrots, am on a limited income, can't afford to buy but will rescue. Would prefer an older bird, preferably male. Have had parakeets. jh
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Waiteville, WV
Thanks: 260
Thanked 128 Times in 57 Posts
1oldparroter is on a distinguished road
Re: Adopted a Wild Cockatiel at 9 months old last year

Sounds cute. jh
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1oldparroter For This Useful Post:
Flboy Supporting Member (01-06-2020)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2020, 04:27 PM
LaManuka's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Fang (9yo (ab)normal grey cockatiel), HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly (purple-crowned lorikeet gotcha date 28 Oct 2018) & Valentino (budgie, gotcha date 14 Feb 2019 at approx 6mo)
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia
Thanks: 4,773
Thanked 6,878 Times in 1,849 Posts
LaManuka is on a distinguished road
Re: Adopted a Wild Cockatiel at 9 months old last year

This can be a very slow and sometimes downright discouraging process but you need to stick with it, stay positive (birds are EXPERTS at reading body language!) and never stop trying. There’s not really a “silver bullet” which will make your cockatiel change her mind about your hands unfortunately. Flboy’s suggestion of the flat palm approach is a good one but you must be prepared for it to take a fair while.

Many years ago i took in a beautiful white female cockatiel who I found wandering the street a few houses down from mine. Having been unable to find her home i kept her and called her Twinkle, because I actually found her on Christmas Day and i thought she was so beautiful that she shone like the Christmas star Anyway she was not particularly tame and refused to have anything to do with me for a total of about eight years before a switch suddenly flicked on in her little head and henceforth she became the sweetest, cuddliest most darling bird imaginable. So keep at it, it’s never too late!
__________________
"Words speak us more than we speak them.” Hercule Poirot (He may be fictional, but he’s my favourite “Belgian upstart”!)
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaManuka For This Useful Post:
AmyMyBlueFront  (01-05-2020), Flboy Supporting Member (01-06-2020)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2020, 03:12 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
chinensis8 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adopted a Wild Cockatiel at 9 months old last year

Quote: Originally Posted by Flboy View Post
Hi, my JoJo was also fearful of being groped! It took a while, but I found explaining what I was doing and slowly reaching with hands flat, palm up worked! Also, reassociate hands into something good! Always a treat! Lots of reaching just to say hi and give a treat!
That's what I've been doing as well, she just runs away lol and then comes back to me when I've placed my hands to my sides, away from her.

Associating my hands with treats would be an idea I'll follow from now on.


Quote: Originally Posted by AmyMyBlueFront View Post
My BB is a real oddball! Our nightly routine is..in the evening both Amy and Beebs come out of their houses. BB on my finger and we walk towards "Uncle David" (my brother) BB has no problem at all to flapflap and land on David's shoulder,where he will wolf-whistle and general chatter to him,for about five minutes,then that's enough and BB will start chirping/calling for me. All I have to say is "come here BB"he doesn't even have to SEE me and it's flapflapflap of him seeking me out.
After a while when we are in my bed room watching tv, I lay a big towel on my bed (so he doesn't do his business on it ) with his little T-perch and toy's. David will come in looking for "birdie kisses" this is when it gets interesting lol. BB wants NOTHING to do with him! He'll jump off his perch,run all over the bed with his hat high in the air,all the while saying "c'mon...c'mon!" Poor Uncle David is climbing all over the bed pleading with BB to give kisses lol. The bird will climb on me..run behind me,hang off the side of the bed..just wants nothing to do with his uncle lol. Frustrates David big time lol.
I think its just a nightly "game" that BB loves to play with him.
Cute birdie, ours just loves being around people at all times and sing playfully. The only problem is handling an untamed bird.


Quote: Originally Posted by LaManuka View Post
This can be a very slow and sometimes downright discouraging process but you need to stick with it, stay positive (birds are EXPERTS at reading body language!) and never stop trying. There’s not really a “silver bullet” which will make your cockatiel change her mind about your hands unfortunately. Flboy’s suggestion of the flat palm approach is a good one but you must be prepared for it to take a fair while.

Many years ago i took in a beautiful white female cockatiel who I found wandering the street a few houses down from mine. Having been unable to find her home i kept her and called her Twinkle, because I actually found her on Christmas Day and i thought she was so beautiful that she shone like the Christmas star Anyway she was not particularly tame and refused to have anything to do with me for a total of about eight years before a switch suddenly flicked on in her little head and henceforth she became the sweetest, cuddliest most darling bird imaginable. So keep at it, it’s never too late!
Interesting, I wonder what changed for her to suddenly want to be with you. Looks like I'm going to have to wear gloves for 8 years or more
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chinensis8 For This Useful Post:
Flboy Supporting Member (01-06-2020)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2020, 08:26 AM
Flboy's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Greater Orlando area, Florida
Thanks: 12,704
Thanked 11,345 Times in 5,305 Posts
Flboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Adopted a Wild Cockatiel at 9 months old last year

To add, for many parrots, gloves are terrifying!
__________________
..David..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flboy For This Useful Post:
AmyMyBlueFront  (01-06-2020)
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2020, 09:16 AM
AmyMyBlueFront's Avatar
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-( And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Connecticut
Thanks: 7,850
Thanked 9,493 Times in 3,626 Posts
AmyMyBlueFront is on a distinguished road
Re: Adopted a Wild Cockatiel at 9 months old last year

Quote: Originally Posted by Flboy View Post
To add, for many parrots, gloves are terrifying!
I can't agree with you anymore about that statement David! When I first took Smokey home,I was still nieve about "parrot's",she was a wild-caught. I later on had visions/nightmares of some BIG MONSTER with work gloves on,reaching down into a hollow in some tree and scooping her right out of it It was terrifying for me just thinking about it,I can only imagine what it did to her No wonder she hated hands for her 26 years.


Jim
__________________
Amy my beautiful Blue Front. Who was four months old when she picked me to go home with to her "forever" home in 4/1990.. DNA'd MALE in 2015
Jonesy, a cute Goffin 'too
that had to be rehomed :-(

And a Grey 'teil, BB...a.k.a. The Beebs
that was 18 weeks old 5/20/2016,






Rest in peace,my precious Smokey..4/2015 at 28 years young
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AmyMyBlueFront For This Useful Post:
Flboy Supporting Member (01-07-2020)
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2020, 09:24 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
chinensis8 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adopted a Wild Cockatiel at 9 months old last year

Quote: Originally Posted by Flboy View Post
To add, for many parrots, gloves are terrifying!
Ok I'll avoid the gloves then but giving medication is difficult because of the pain, is there anything I can do to avoid being bitten till I bleed?

Quote: Originally Posted by AmyMyBlueFront View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Flboy View Post
To add, for many parrots, gloves are terrifying!
I can't agree with you anymore about that statement David! When I first took Smokey home,I was still nieve about "parrot's",she was a wild-caught. I later on had visions/nightmares of some BIG MONSTER with work gloves on,reaching down into a hollow in some tree and scooping her right out of it It was terrifying for me just thinking about it,I can only imagine what it did to her No wonder she hated hands for her 26 years.


Jim
How do you guys get along with the biting?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels

Tags
cockatiel, handle, wild, wild bird

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adopted 15 year old Goffins Cockatoo lovecoco Cockatoos 6 09-20-2016 05:05 PM
My newly adopted 17 year old CAG singing parrotlove79 Congo & Timneh Greys 11 01-28-2013 02:44 PM
Adopted 4 year Old CAG gh363s Congo & Timneh Greys 7 10-23-2011 04:05 PM
What months of the year do Conures get hormonal? Mike Conures 3 04-17-2011 10:59 AM
At what age, and which months of the year do Macaws get hormonal? Mike Macaws 1 04-16-2011 09:03 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.