Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels

>

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 06:39 PM
Parrots:
Lovebird (Coco) Parakeet (Riley)
Beebeebeezy is on a distinguished road
Someone help!!!!!

So my Cockatiel (Tiki), will be a year old this coming month, and for some reason, he's starting to be very aggressive. I understand he's either hormonal, protecting something, or something is making him upset; but heres the catch...

I'll come home, let him and my parakeet (Male) out, he'll be fine for a little while, no agitation or anything just the sweet boy he is, and all the sudden I get up to walk around, and he'll follow me EVERYWHERE. I mean he'll stay close enough to not wanna get on me, but if I bend down to pick him up, he'll start attacking my hand. So I try to do the trick to teach him that biting is bad, by setting him down and try to run out of the room, but he'll fly after me. Ive also tried putting him in his cage for a while to cool him off, but once I let him out, once again he goes back to running after me, and then attacking me if I bend down to pick him up.
I dont understand what is going on, and why he wants to be near me but gets aggressive when he sees my hand?
He grew up with my parakeet (No they are not bonded and live in seperate cages) but I know its not my parakeet making him upset because it continues in every room.
But suddenly, after a while of not even attempting to move at all, Tiki will calm down and let me pet him.
What is going on guys? I dont think I'm doing anything to make him mad
LaManuka Supporting Member (01-15-2020), Laurasea Supporting Member (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
6 cockatiels
Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,715 Posts
itzjbean is on a distinguished road
Re: Someone help!!!!!

Hmm...a dilemma!!

My best advice is trick him from focusing on not wanting to be on you by offering a treat to him if he lets you pick him up. That’s what I do when my cockatiels need to go back in their cage in a hurry - they don’t ever really want to go back in after a few minutes of being out but o can always entice them to go back in and do what I want if I offer a treat to do so. It does sort of trick them into seeing food and forgetting about being mad, lol!

Does Tiki have a favorite treat? Perhaps you can offer it to him when you bend down, and he’ll learn to see your hand as a good thing — ooo, a treat? Yes please! Yummy. What was I angry about again?

See more of my flock on Instagram!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itzjbean For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (01-16-2020), Laurasea Supporting Member (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 07:00 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Ta-dah 5yr (F )Turquoise cinnamon GCC, Neptune (M) blue quaker, Penny (F )rescue green quaker, Pikachu (U) lutino quaker, Cloudy and Clear(M's) parakeets, Burt The Bird (F) GCC of 17 wonderful years p
Thanked 10,632 Times in 3,787 Posts
Laurasea is on a distinguished road

Sometimes for reasons know only to the parrot they develope fear of hands. It's happened to two of my birds. I then feed treats by hand like ment above. Lots of treats by hand, until they get over it, and I'm very careful of their mood.
I have some links that might be helpful.
This one covers different kinds of bites after the normal behavior stuff
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

This one has lots of good ideas in it. Clicker training isn't my thing, I do shape behavior but just say good bird instead if clicking, then give treats. Such a good article on stress reduction in parrots
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress...ot-companions/

Last edited by Laurasea; 01-15-2020 at 07:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurasea For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 07:23 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Fang (9yo (ab)normal grey cockatiel), HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly (purple-crowned lorikeet gotcha date 28 Oct 2018) & Valentino (budgie, gotcha date 14 Feb 2019 at approx 6mo)
Thanked 6,878 Times in 1,849 Posts
LaManuka is on a distinguished road

I wonder if maybe Tiki has come to view you as his “significant other”? Be careful about offering a treat while he’s like this as you don’t want to give him the impression that you approve of his behaviour. Like you’ve said, he does calm down after a while and this sounds consistent with what happens to Fang when he gets all bent outta shape hormone-wise.

Hopefully this too shall pass!
1oldparroter (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 03:19 AM
Parrots:
I am 70 and been studying parrots, am on a limited income, can't afford to buy but will rescue. Would prefer an older bird, preferably male. Have had parakeets. jh
1oldparroter is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you know better than to touch it on more than head and neck, so you aren't causing it. Just ignore him except during training and feeding the snacks. jh

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels