Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 03:06 AM
Parrots:
Māui (white bellied caique)
Ezekiell is on a distinguished road
Reguritating??

Can anyone shed some light on why my baby is attempting to regurgitate on me?
Maui is only 10months old and has been home for slightly over a week now. I've read that you don’t want to encourage birds to regurgitate on you so every time he has bobbed his head and started trying to regurgitate I’ve backed right off.

So far he’s only done it 4-5 times when I’ve asked him to step up onto my hand; somethings he steps up fine when I say “step up”, or “wanna come?”, but sometimes he just starts doing the regurge head dance, so I don’t know if its because he’s excited or I’ve been very careful to only give him scritches around the top of the head and neck; haven’t touched him anywhere that can be interpreted as sexual in nature and have only touched his wings or belly when harness training because I need him to let me touch those places for that purpose.

I’m really confused and have no idea why he’s doing it. I don’t want him to start getting all hormonal before his time and lose his babyhood...

Last edited by Ezekiell; 11-03-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Parrots:
BFA
sunshinemama91 is on a distinguished road
Re: Reguritating??

I believe it's a sign of affection, they feed their young and males often do that for the females in like mating seasons. So it's either saying I love you and want to take care of you, OR its saying hey baby, let's get jiggy LOL. At least from everything mg I've read.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshinemama91 For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Ta-dah 5yr (F )Turquoise cinnamon GCC, Neptune (M) blue quaker, Penny (F )rescue green quaker, Pikachu (U) lutino quaker, Cloudy and Clear(M's) parakeets, Burt The Bird (F) GCC of 17 wonderful years p
Thanked 8,722 Times in 3,082 Posts
Laurasea is on a distinguished road

I take it as we have a bond. Especially in a new bird. One that might not have gotten the attention it needed before, and now is so happy with you and want to cement the bond. This behavior will fade pretty quickly as they feel more comfortable with you. My rescue was frantic to regurge to me when I first brought her home. She was overwhelmed with getting actual attention after who knows how long. I just let her. I even talked to my vet because she was doing it so much. My vet told me to make her feel reassured and accepted. You shouldn't reject , because will hurt their feelings, they ar giving up food for you that's a big gift. I don't make a big deal, just say I love you too, wait , and tgennmove them to a play stand or redirect.
You might like this article it covers a lot of behaviors.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Last edited by Laurasea; 11-04-2019 at 08:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurasea For This Useful Post:
sunshinemama91 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:39 PM
Parrots:
BFA
sunshinemama91 is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Laurasea View Post
I take it as we have a bond. Especially in a new bird. One that might not have gotten the attention it needed before, and now is so happy with you and want to cement the bond. This behavior will fade pretty quickly as they feel more comfortable with you. My rescue was frantic to regurge to me when I first brought her home. She was overwhelmed with getting actual attention after who knows how long. I just let her. I even talked to my vet because she was doing it so much. My vet told me to make her feel reassured and accepted. You shouldn't reject , because will hurt their feelings, they ar giving up food for you that's a big gift. I don't make a big deal, just say I love you too, wait , and tgennmove them to a play stand or redirect.
You might like this article it covers a lot of behaviors.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/
I wish my Gracie girl would barf on meeeeee.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:39 PM
Parrots:
Māui (white bellied caique)
Ezekiell is on a distinguished road

Oh that reassured me so much! I figured it might just be birdie for “I love you” because only I get it and I’m the one he gets the most interaction with cause I’m home early.
I haven’t been rejecting but trying to redirect and I’ve started saying “thanks but no thanks, but I love you too” and that seems to curb it quite quickly; he settles and goes back to surfing, wrestling or hanging out as normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ezekiell For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (11-05-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Parrots:
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrot 'Scomo, PM', PLUS: Finches, Doves and Quail
Noahs_Birds is on a distinguished road

Trust me, Scomo does this all the time with me
Birds just think you are their mate, as they would in the wild
Thanks
Noah Till

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

Tags
baby bird, hormones, juvenile, regurgitating, regurgitation