Spray foam insulation in a can?

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
How dangerous is spary foam in a can? Having part of a fall fixed and he wants to use the spray foam in a can to fill in some areas. Is this stuff deadly to parrots? I keep running into information after the product has been sprayed. Not for the application itself. I'm thinking it's not worth the risk.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I really don't know but would be very leery. Both the insulation in an uncured state and propellant may cause harm. Is it possible to have Timneh in a safer location during the repair, and for a while afterwards?

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Different location like upstairs or a different house do you think? I could put her in her travel bag that she hates and bring her to my parents who are my neighbors. But it's also quite cold outside. Thinking I should tell him to use a different kind of insulation.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I really don't know but would be very leery. Both the insulation in an uncured state and propellant may cause harm. Is it possible to have Timneh in a safer location during the repair, and for a while afterwards?

Shaker can propellants has become a non-issues unless you are 'directly' inhaling the stuff as it comes out of the can. Huffing It!

The insulation itself while curing and once hard should be hidden from busy beaks. Common use places it between the outer wall and the inner wall materials, or under wood /plastic structures around windows and doors. Once installed, ensure that it is covered both for it's protection, successful use, and to assure that others do not ingest it.

For repair use, it is a much better product than anything else that is reasonably priced.

Assure that you are there during its installation to assure that it is used properly. Common dirty trick is to not get deep into the opening and not filling it in layers! Cutting corners is common with all installation. The Owner being on-site and watching carefully helps keep them honest!

Quick check: Place your hand very near the area being repaired and check for the in rush of cool /cold air. As they are installing it, and as they finish keep checking. You should 'feel' a noticeable reduction of cool /cold air!

Read the Shaker Can prior to its use to assure that they are following the directions!

An Expert: The One That Reads and Follows The Directions!!!

Parrot Care: Move your Parrot as far away from the work area on the 'first floor' as possible. This step more to limit your Parrot become upset by workers being in the house and noise levels.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Agree with Sailboat, move your bird to the furthest away room and close the door. Even though it's cold in VT you can still crack a window in that room if you feel it's necessary for added ventilation as long as you don't give your bird a draft.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
So we used some in the end. 3 windows open in the kitchen and two doors shut. Still super nervous.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Thank you so much guys I was on the verge of panic earlier.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
All is well with Timneh today. She had a lot of fun last night had some friends over she landed on two heads and was happy hanging out. An old friend she hasn't met before came over and Timneh let him hold her and actually really seemed to like him quite a bit. She gave home two fly bus as he was getting ready to leave. Thank you guys for your help yesterday.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Oh and the serious draft coming from behind my stove in the kitchen due to a crumby open wall behind my stove has been fixed. Even though it was in the other room quite far away from Timneh I worried it would still some how get to her.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Oh and the serious draft coming from behind my stove in the kitchen due to a crumby open wall behind my stove has been fixed. Even though it was in the other room quite far away from Timneh I worried it would still some how get to her.

A serious draft, once repaired with help balance the temperature in your home, which reduces floor level drafts, and allows the home to hold temperature longer between the need for additional heat.

I hope that you watched the staff install the spray can insulation! It is a great DIY tool for limiting drafts. For Home Owner use, use a foam with a minimum of expansion and target a smaller can. Create a list of places to use it, since once they are used, unless you follow directs precisely, they do not store well, as the material in the tube tends to become solid. A good, general application, (indoor /outdoor) white 'Caulk' is well worth investing in since most of what you will be finding is much smaller in size.

Before investing in either, tour your home looking for drafts entering or exiting your home. Commonly, inbound drafts (cool /cold air) tend to be lower in the house with outbound drafts found higher. Its that Warm air rises and Cold air falls thing.

The cold air drafts are easier for find since in most cases you can easly feel the cold air entering. The outbound are is more difficult since you really do not feel them unless the loss rate is very high (strong pull of air exiting). The areas around them tend to darken over time with dust and dirt providing a 'track' as the draft pulls the air into the exit.

Every hole your fill reduces heat loss and drafts, which makes for a warmer more comfortable home for everyone!

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Thank you never really thought about a hole where the air is leaking out instead of in. I did watch him he seemed like he did a good job took his time and did it right.

Most Reactions

Latest posts