What are you getting your bird for Xmas? Need ideas...

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm buying tools for my mechanics under me, (the Electrical engineer/tech is in charge of the monkeys).......for Xmas.

I'm browsing around looking for something for clark, (glad the playstand wasn't his present). What are you all getting yor flockmates and any great ideas? It's for a GCC. :gcc:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I got Kiwi 2 big wood+rope toys (I rarely buy pre-made toys), 2 baby toys from a thrift shop (he loves baby toys) and some nuts for his stocking. I am also making him a couple toys for his upcoming "adoption day" next week:) December is his lucky month!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm making toys for our flock, they seem to like the homemade ones better than the bought ones. What kind of materials does Clark like the best? My Safe Birdstore has a lot of toys to choose from:)

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
well recently he has decided climbing under the dresser and climbing up the dresser drawers to chew on anything that might be inside is fun...... Maybe a plank of particle board? I'm still looking around.... He's so spoiled anyways it's hard to shop for him.

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
I'd stay away from particle board (and MDF, plywood, etc.) as it's filled with toxins (trust me, I built an indoor aviary for them last year). Instead, see if you can get a huge slab of balsa or something. Or mahogany pods. I think I'm one of the few people on here who buys mahogany pods for their birds, but my guys go crazy for them. They're intended for smaller birds since they're so soft (even I can easily shred one apart without a problem), but they're really fun. You could hide them throughout his play area, or stick slices inside of foraging toys or something. Ooh! Look up cork branches for reptiles and amphibians!

Hey, what about making a foraging toy from a pill bottle? I unfortunately lost the lid to Noah's foraging bottle (my parents threw it out). Guess I should make a new one for Christmas.

For Christmas, I'm making my kids a gigantic atom (think African grey-sized). I've ordered the parts (Supreme cotton rope which is unbleached and easily digested, stainless steel wire, stainless steel bell, stainless steel chain, maple leaves made from pine, daisies made from pine, Marbella rings...), so hopefully they'll be in this week. I want to make one so large that all the birds can hang out on it at once without bickering. I know budgies are supposed to be cuddly with each other, but my guys tend to get on each other's nerves.

I also ordered pinenuts with the shells still on for the kākāriki, along with palm oil since the kākāriki are still really underweight (they keep getting infections).

Oh gosh, my dad his the freaking radio on, and it has a local children's choir singing, and it sounds horrible! They're all off key and it's absolute torture! Man, I've never heard such horrible singing from children before!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We always get the critters something for their stockings. Tinker is good for a nice big beef bone, which will last her til Easter. Salty, well he will get some new toys to destroy, of course. I think some new foot toys too, but he is real fussy about those. Mahogany pods you say? I will see about them, sounds unique and maybe will last him more then 1/2 hour. Maybe a new foraging toy? Does Clark enjoy those? The clear plastic kinds? I have one I am about ready to put on the Toy Exchange forum, Salty will not touch it, no matter what I put in it. You want it? Its the one with 3 drawers that pull out. It would be great for a smaller parrot, who can get their little heads in the drawer; its way too small for Saltys head to get in there.

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Yeah, I buy the mahogany pods in bulk for my guys (i.e., 100 at a time). If I'm feeling generous, I'll string up a few dozen in the aviary for my guys to tear into. When Rumi's feeling depressed (she sometimes feels sad because her neurological problems can make things challenging for her and she's often left behind because she can't fly), I'll thread some Paulie rope through some mahogany pods and tie it to the inside of the cage (she has access to the rest of the aviary too, but she tends to hang out near the cage). This always cheers her up. Just be aware, mahogany pods are really soft, so larger birds will go through them like a hot knife through butter. They're fairly cheap, though, so whatever.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
What a fun thread!

And what a bunch of spoiled birds!

Yeah, I'm no better. For any special occasion, I have started giving the Rb 10-15 huge green chiles, just tossed on top of his cage. He goes into a complete frenzy, can hardly get one ripped up before being driven to the next , and the next, screaming and shaking. He gets so beside himself that he can hardly walk. After he has massacred them he retires to a high perch, in a cloud of fumes, and pretty much passes out for a couple of blessed, quiet hours.

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
My guys get a foraging pouch each which lasts quite a while in various incarnations.

It's a sisal mat doubled over with the edges 'sewn' together filled with shredded paper and has blocks and plastic shapes threaded through it.

First they pluck some shredded paper out, then chew through until they can get inside, then they chew the blocks and shapes, and eventually work on the mat itself. I get to weave things into it and modify it into a mutant toy as time passes, but they truly get HOURS of fun from them :)

whitejory97

Dec 3, 2017
Media
Waukegan illinois
Parrots
New senegal parrot_named charlie_3 years old_parakeet-named Birdie-
Parakeet named-meowy-my son
Named him - not me-
12 week old green. Cheeck conure named Lucifer
That belongs to my son
I'm getting my parakeet a largercage-and a new friend-cause
He sits by his mirror all the time

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Got this great little playgym today for FIVE DOLLARS! Best $5 ever. This is the birds enjoying their Christmas present. Bluebell is afraid of it (little scaredy bird) but I’m sure she’ll get used to it and start to play with it. In addition, each bird got a separate toy and Bluebell’s getting a friend in a few weeks.

Attachments

• 3BE65BC9-10CB-44D9-A36B-5D282F8F98F8.jpg
    3BE65BC9-10CB-44D9-A36B-5D282F8F98F8.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 95
  • F4DFDE85-B45D-4CD3-B257-82524E1B9BCD.jpg
    F4DFDE85-B45D-4CD3-B257-82524E1B9BCD.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 108
OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I'm looking into both homemade and store bought....Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Hmmmm I wonder if the Pak-o-Bird can count as Bumble’s gift? I doubt it LOL! I’ll probably put together some new toys to take to Virginia and surprise her with them. In my spare time ACK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soyajam

Feb 9, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Remi - Eclectus (Hatched August 2017)
I wrapped up a toy from a recent haul I got for Remi, a big ropey thing with rubber shoes on it? I also wrapped it up in fun-to-rip paper, and jammed shredded paper inside. Mess = fun, right?

I think I might also create another one of my "Maccas Madness" toys, which is shredded paper stuffed into one of those cardboard drink trays, and pinecones shoved in the ends. Cost $1 and is her favourite thing to play with, go figure...

It's a shame there aren't any birdie christmas crackers?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts