Nervous breakdown

Bachana

Sep 22, 2017
Hello everyone,

Please need your advice asap!
I have a couple of Kakariki and female started to lay eggs in October. It should be emphasized that only one egg was fertilized and it successfully hatched on November 5.
Baby was cute, parents were taking care of him all the time. Both of them have been feeding the chick for 25 days. So I was very calm. Please be aware that I have only one nest, didn't put a second one and female was okay with that.

Unfortunately then on November 30 unfortunate fact happened and baby died because of some accident. I berried the baby under the tree, but ...

First few days everything was fine, but in 1-2 days couple started mating again, sometimes it is happening twice a day. I cleaned their nest, thought that she wanted to lay eggs again, but every time she goes there she has a nervous break down, shouting from nest, digging the nest material and etc. last time I was able to hold her and feed her, but now she is afraid of me.

Dunno what to do. Is she searching for a baby? or what do you suggest should I remove nest? or she plans to lay other eggs and this is just natural "pre egg lay" period?

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
I don't really have any experience with breeding, but there's a good chance she's upset about the loss of her chick (or she might be wanting to lay again). To lose a chick that old, especially since it was the only one in that clutch, after they put so much effort into raising it... Personally, I'd take the nesting box out and increase the number of hours of darkness to discourage breeding for a while. You know, to give them a chance to regain their strength and get over the loss of their chick. After giving them some space, I'd work on your relationship with them. Read to them, hand feed them, target and clicker train with them...

Some animals move on fairly quickly after the loss of their young, while others can become frantic and depressed. Female emperor penguins, for example, will sometimes become so desperate after the loss of their own chick that they'll all fight for the chance to adopt an orphan, often crushing the infant in the frenzy.

Anyways, kākāriki are prolific breeders, so it doesn't hurt to give them a break from raising young. Also, I advise you to take this chance to find out what exactly went wrong. From what I've read, kākāriki chicks, being from a cooler climate, are covered in extra-thick down, and as such, can easily die from overheating. The baby would've fledged in just a matter of days, so the fact that they died is concerning.

I'm sorry about the loss of the chick. Hopefully it was quick and the baby was brave. Oh, how long did you live the baby's body in before removing it? Whenever one of my birds die, I make sure everyone has the chance to see the body and understand that they're dead and aren't coming back. Nothing worse than having them wonder where their friend went, waiting for days for their loved one to return, not knowing that they'll never see them again.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts