a lesson in paying attention

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
We have our routines/rituals and one of them is the morning dog walk. Not a long walk, just the "poop run"--and Wrangler is part of the process. Its the dog, the leash, the bag, the bird, and a cup of coffee. Its a lot to juggle with only two hands. For some reason this time i had my phone too. Im not a huge phone person so Im not quite sure why i brought it with me especially since my sweatpants dont have a pocket so I had to carry it in my hand. W either sits on my shoulder or perches on my forearm...he will often attempt to get on top of my head but that's not allowed. If he climbs up there, i just brush my hand across and he either hops on or gets knocked off. I do it reflexively---and so does he. So the phone rings, I answer...W takes advantage of the fact that Im right handed and he sits on my right shoulder...so when i bring the phone to my ear he goes to the top of my head. Im distracted so I let him stay there for a minute or two. In the meantime he turns around a few times and manages to get his foot wound up in my hair. I realize this, get off the phone and try and get him free. It gets worse, he twists more, is flapping around and starting to panic....all of this on top of my head. He slips off my head and is hanging upside down and by his foot in front of my face....poor guy is seriously not happy, and now it's binding him and it hurts. When we get home I try and towel him to contain the wings/beak so that I can (maybe) untangle him from my hair but he is in full panic mode now and not having anything to do with the towel or my hands. In hindsight it is a bit comical but at the time it was quite a process. My husband came to the rescue and cut my hair to free him. Not an ideal solution, but a quick one.

I have always heard to keep strings, threads, etc on toys trimmed short, but this was a real time lesson in just how fast it can happen. Wont be taking the phone on walks any time soon....the pets get all my attention.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oh my gosh! That sounds terrifying. And good for you for just having your husband cut your hair. A lot of vanity can be tied up in our hair, but it grows and our fids need us to put them first sometimes. [emoji170]

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yikes!! Brings new meaning tot he term “flock of seagulls” haircut!

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Oh my goodness! That must've been scary, I had a similar instance with Bella recently, only lasted a few moments but it was long enough for her to freak out flapping and biting. You were lucky your husband was around to help!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Very lucky indeed, W could have scratched your face up pretty good, and may even bitten you seriously, because he was almost in panic mode. Fer me, Salty is never allowed to sit on the top of my head.
a) I can't see him and b) who wants a runny bird poop to have to clean out?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Scarry indeed! I keep my hair short (what I have left :rolleyes:) and now Beeb's is on a new kick. When on my shoulder,he now climbsthe back of my head and sits on top :mad:
And all of a sudden,he is flying like never before and does a pretty darn good job at it,and my head seems to be his favorite landing pad. This has GOT to stop!

Jim

reddawg

Jun 24, 2016
Well I don't have to worry about that ever happening due to the fact I don't have much hair on my head.. Now I just need to be careful when Ernie is on my shoulder so he doesn't get tangled up in my back hair that I comb over my shoulder... Lol!!! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Most Reactions