Hormones can be good for training. Who knew?!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
parkers flight training took a big leap forward today. Usually he flies to me only if Iā€™m standing. Today he flew to me multiple times unprompted - trying to get to the cheese I was eating. Of course no reward there but I made him fly to me for a nip.

Took this clear motivation as a chance to make a leap in training, and was successfully able to have him fly to me while Iā€™m sitting on the couch. Not THAT big a leap, but most definite progress. Caught this on camera too. Also his best slow motion video Iā€™ve ever caught of his flight and landing.

Turns out hormones can be quite the motivator for physical endeavors!

[ame="https://youtu.be/vzgtzQ3MX3s"]Slow motion flight of Parker the parrot - YouTube[/ame]

He also has some odd landing preferences. He often prefers to fly in low and use his claws like a grappling hook. This video here captures it very clearly. Not unusual for him at all.

[ame="https://youtu.be/qdP7H5ezG00"]Strange landing by Parker - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
very cool! What was the distance? how will you train him to not come unprompted?

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

The distance is probably around 10 feet, maybe a tiny bit more.

As for unprompted flying, thatā€™s easy. The key is the fact that the vast majority of his flights have been rewarded recalls. Flight = treats. Himself would prefer to not fly period, so when he does fly itā€™s always been because Iā€™ve called him. This is the background heā€™s working with when dealing with corrections (which contrasts with a bird who is ALWAYS flying to find their person, a conure for example)

So to stop unwanted flights: when he DOES a fly without being told to, you simply return him to where he flew from, and donā€™t give a reward, and walk away. No muss, no fuss. 10 seconds later, Iā€™ll grab a treat and call him to fly over. This reinforces that 1) he only flies when I call, and 2) he gets treats when called to fly.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wow...two very cool vid's Chris :)

I see what you mean with the "grappling hook" landing..slamming on the brakes...so to speak. :33:
Maybe Mr. Doodles think's he is coming in for his landing a little too quickly and wants to make sure he stays put and not over-shoot and crash into you? lol.
At any rate..great job Parker! :D

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The "grappling hook" landing makes all kinds of sense, since most things they land on (including our hand or arm) tend to move upon landing on them, like branches.

The widely spaced toes and the extended legs looks like that of an Eagle hitting it's target. Same positioning on Amazons, so very likely true across most all, if not all Parrots.

Great videos! Love the positioning of the Winds and Tail Feathers during the flight! Text book!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
even if it's half a step it's movement towards the goal!

Whenever landing on my shoulder Rio would do that. he would always land on my back or chest then climb up to the shoulder itself, never knew why it was just his way of doing things. Though he learnt to only land on my tshirt after the silly bugger decided my back pocket was a good platform to land on and nearly got squished (lucky I sit down slowly)

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

The "grappling hook" landing makes all kinds of sense, since most things they land on (including our hand or arm) tend to move upon landing on them, like branches.

The widely spaced toes and the extended legs looks like that of an Eagle hitting it's target. Same positioning on Amazons, so very likely true across most all, if not all Parrots.

Great videos! Love the positioning of the Winds and Tail Feathers during the flight! Text book!

Can I tell you I love this blow by blow critique? :p Parker says ā€œdoesnā€™t he know Iā€™m old hat at this already? Of COURSE itā€™s perfectā€. Heā€™s so much more confident and eager to fly. Truly wonderful to behold.

I noticed just now that his tail still has a way to go before filling out. I though he was finally fully feathered down there. Oh well. With time. In the meantime his strength has really increased lately. It shows every time he flies now.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
This is great! Love the videos!

skylala

Jun 19, 2013
Hunter Valley, NSW. Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Jiraiya
The slow motion video is awesome! Great job.
I'll have to try something like that :)

I also have a lot of success in training when my boy is rowdy. Don't even need treats because he just wants attention.

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Thanks guys :) I was a big fan of how the videos came out.

Skylala what behaviors are you training?

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Was I the only one laughing at the fact that his initial goal was cheese thievery?
:D

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Was I the only one laughing at the fact that his initial goal was cheese thievery?
:D

You have no idea, this boy goes NUTS for cheese. Iā€™ve been eating strong geese and knew this all along. But my parent just discovered some string cheese-ajascent product that heā€™s been eating. You should see him sneaking it into the living room and trying to keep Parker from seeing him eat it. Hilarious!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Those videos are amazing, Chris! Parker looks absolutely fantastic.
Giggling at him having to sneak and eat, I do the same thing! They always know, though.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Cant believe I missed this thread! Worked another 13+ hour day and tired as anything, so reading something like this was just what I needed.

Chris, Parker is looking amazing!!! Look at how much he's feathered up! I'm floored!

And those videos!!! Big smile, here!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Thanks my friend!

This was a fluke as it turns out. Heā€™s refused to do this again. Despite my best attempts weā€™re back to 50% response rate if Iā€™m within 5 feet of him, otherowise I just get the middle finger!

He has feathered up, but thatā€™s his pattern. Heā€™s fully feathered on his chest as of thanksgiving, and true to form heā€™s begun his slow barbering process around Christmas. Heā€™ll be fully greyed out by May or so.

Good news (or bad, depending on your perspective) is weā€™ve ruled out dry skin. He had his nail trim last week with his vet so I asked her to check the skin, great timing since the barbering has commenced recently. The skin looked normal.

Last edited:

Most Reactions