One step forward, 5 steps backwards [harness training]

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
Over a year ago I ordered a harness for Kermit with the hope that, someday, I could get her to wear it. I really didn't have many expectations on timeline. I took it slowly, made a game with wearing rubber bands to get her used to something around her neck, and ultimately got her to the point that she'd stick her head in. Finally, one day, she made amazing progress ! She'd let it rest on her neck, and I was starting to touch her wings when it was on so I could move to the next step. It seemed like the ultimate goal was close, and she might be able to wear it within a few weeks.

Then the next training... it was like all the sudden she'd taken massive steps backwards. She would barely put her neck through and seemed overall uncomfortable with the process where she wasn't before. I think I must have pushed her too hard that time, because in subsequent training sessions she's only gotten worse. She will still approach the harness with enough treats, but refuses to put her neck through it. I tried gently guiding her neck through the hole, but I suspect that's only made her more afraid of the harness. I tried the rubber band game again, and she was clearly uneasy of it instead of enjoying the fun game like she did a year ago. We're back at square one, and she's verging on fear of the thing, so I'm afraid it's all but a lost cause.

My mom said she'll try training her on the harness to see if a fresh start & handler would be better for her. I'm a little disheartened I ruined the experience for her. I've contemplated if a flight suit might be easier for her since it wouldn't require her to stick her neck in a very small hole. Thoughts, advice, and tips on this process ? I'd really love to take her outside and include her on errands someday. :gcc:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I think you're wonderful for trying, and still trying, and not giving up. Your mom sounds like a gem.

I'll confess that I've never even considered trying to get Genghis Conure... I mean... the Rickeybird to wear one!

Sorry you're having trouble. I hope the tide turns soon. Maybe Mom has the magic touch!

caiquewalk

Feb 16, 2018
Media
You’re mother sounds incredibly nice. It’s always helpful to have an extra hand around with birds.

My two cents on the harness training, is that most birds tend to hide their feelings quite well. Even if we are intune with them it’s really easy to fail to see that they will usually bare with training even if we possibly hit the limits. Please don’t worry youre not a bad person for this. It’s happened to many of the best trainers. Birds have boundaries that need to be gently pushed just like people. The birds will go on for a day or two playing along but eventually they will back off and become a bit skittish. I think all is fine though, just slowly continue at the beginning process and leave the harness everyday somewhere near the cage so your little bird can see it. This will eventually reassure the bird that it’s not going to attack. If all fails just try again from the beginning.

Best wishes :)

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Thank you both for your comments <3 My mom really is a prize in many regards, but Kermit spends a lot of time with her when I'm at school and I'm always so thankful in her involvement in her birdie life. My mom has an interesting new plan that will involve a silk ribbon and progressively using smaller and smaller loops until she's not spooked. She thinks it will be light enough so as not to alarm her.

One of my greatest shortcomings with parrot training is I'm really not consistent in when I set time aside to train her. Sometimes its several days in a row, multiple times a day, or sometimes there's weeks where we don't do anything. The 'training' we both take to well is when we teach her a new game -- since games are their own reward, for everyone. I'm really excited and grateful to see what my mom has in store for her lesson plans :)

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Thank you both for your comments <3 My mom really is a prize in many regards, but Kermit spends a lot of time with her when I'm at school and I'm always so thankful in her involvement in her birdie life. My mom has an interesting new plan that will involve a silk ribbon and progressively using smaller and smaller loops until she's not spooked. She thinks it will be light enough so as not to alarm her.

One of my greatest shortcomings with parrot training is I'm really not consistent in when I set time aside to train her. Sometimes its several days in a row, multiple times a day, or sometimes there's weeks where we don't do anything. The 'training' we both take to well is when we teach her a new game -- since games are their own reward, for everyone. I'm really excited and grateful to see what my mom has in store for her lesson plans :)

A large fabric store, or perhaps a fabric retailer online, should carry the same type of material the harness is made from. I think your mom might have better luck if, instead of silk ribbon, she use lengths of the same type and color fabric your harness is made from. We had to resort to this with Oscar, and it worked far better than things made from other fabrics.

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
BeatriceC; Thank you so much for that idea. If I have a chance to stop by the fabric store, I'll pick up some. Or maybe buy & cut up a cheap dog leash?

My mom seems to be making progress. She's very consistent in teaching, and you can tell it's paying off. We've been wearing the harness around our necks when she's hanging out with her & getting her used to handlings we will be using when putting on the harness. My mom has had some luck getting Kermit to accept the weight of a silk ribbon on her neck. She doesn't like it, and will walk away if given the chance, but she's not panicked by it. My mom seems to be enjoying herself; she keeps referring to Kermit as her 'student'. It's very cute to watch. In the meantime, I think I'll try some other types of training with Kermit to maintain our bond.

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit continues to be resistant to the harness. I know we're only a week in with our trainer switch, so we'll keep working at it, but it's discouraging when you worked a year to get to a certain point with your bird, and now she can barely stand the basics. We've broken things down a lot more so hopefully our efforts will make her a lot more tolerant when we get to that point again. We're taking it at her pace and speed so we don't cause any more bad associations with harness training. Given her age & the season (almost spring), we're thinking this could be related to the onset of puberty.

I've switched to training for something more pleasant... target training :) It's always one of those things I've wanted to train for but never did. Kermit has never enjoyed flying (though can as she is unclipped), but she's already far more receptive to this kind of training even if she hasn't achieved flight yet. I feel more comfortable training her for more natural behaviors.

tanyamitchellrn

Nov 17, 2017
Northwest Illinois
Parrots
Kaya Cockatoo, EJ Amazon, Pepper African Grey, Casey IRN, Glen Sun Conure
We have been doing something similar. My cockatoo just did fantastic but the Ringneck had a traumatic experience today. She got the harness on and then freaked out and started yelling and flopping and somehow got the neck hole around her chest. We grabbed some nearby scissors and cut it off of her. Poor baby. She’s ok now but I think I’m traumatized for her!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts