Cockatiel Concerns

Stormiii

Jul 10, 2017
Parrots
Einstein, a nippy, sassy lil cockatiel
I have recently purchased a beautiful pied cockatiel named Jasmine from a reputable breeder. I have had her for three days, and she seems to be the sweetest little thing. She is a baby, only a few months old and not yet having gone through her first molt. She has been eating plenty of millet, seeds, pellets, and fruit and veggies, and drinking plenty of water! However, some of her behavior the last few days has been questionable. She's been sleeping a lot more and showing no interest in her toys. Almost every time I see her she is sleeping. Every time I take her out or let her explore all she does is sit there and sleep. Her eyes are closed almost every hour. Is she just tired and not used to her environment, or is it something more severe? Her dropping look healthy and she has been sneezing or sniffling a little, but nothing else seems to out of the ordinary, just that she's sleeping a lot. She is also very quiet, making hardly any noise outside of little warbles she makes when you scratch her head.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm scared!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have a Certified Avian Vet??? If not, one who at least treats birds?
This sounds like an emergency.

A young, healthy bird shouldn't be that tied, not even in a new home with lots of excitement and exercise and stimulation.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope your bird snaps out of it. But you can see I'm just really worried.

Cockatiel people? Am I missing something?

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Yeah totaly agree with Gail. Contact your vet. I remember Xander settling in and he was terrified at first but he would still move around in his cage and only slept at bed time. Is there plenty of toys ect in the cage? I dont mean to sound horrible but boredom could be a reason for the sleeping too but id contact the vet x

OP
S

Stormiii

Jul 10, 2017
Parrots
We have not yet taken her to an avian vet, we are planning on taking her in for a wellness exam in the next 3 days. She has plenty of toys, trust me.

OP
S

Stormiii

Jul 10, 2017
Parrots
I'm just a little surprised. When we first got her she seemed healthy and active. I know birds get sick suddenly, but she was eating fine and her droppings still look perfectly healthy and normal. We will be taking her to the vet, however.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Hmmm... While I agree with others on taking her to the vet, there could be other explanations.

1. She may still be adjusting. Even if she was active for a little bit a change of environment can still be very taxing both emotionally and physically. You have only had her for 3 days! My Berry took about a week to do something other than sit still and scared on the play stand. The big environment change can cause birds to react in different ways depending on their individual personalities.

2. Is she sleeping enough at night-time? Is the room dark enough and quiet enough? Often if birds don't have restful sleep at night they can be very tired during the day. Her cage should be covered with a blanket, a towel or a sheet for 10ish hours a night in a quiet and dark room. This isn't always easy but if you spend time in the room, just keep your activities very quiet and only have a bedside lamp or the likes on in the room if it is necessary.

Do take her to the vet for a check-up, but don't worry too much yet. You seem to be very concerned and a very perceptive owner - which is great! Thank you for reaching out, and good luck.

Most Reactions