Ollie and Finley outside, a video taken mere moments from tragedy! :-) DON'T PANIC

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Hello all! Today started out like any other day. I went to my workout and as usual dragged my son, Toby, along to sit and play his phone while I hit the gym. We then went to the bank and then for bagels and soup for lunch which we brought home to eat so I could spend time with the Ollie and Finley. We had taken the boys out on the deck (which is fully closed in with a mosquito net) yesterday and they seemed to really really love it so I decided we would take the mini table java tree stand out there again today. Actually, they seemed to be asking me to take them outside, especially Finley, and because he seems to have a hard time most days I usually try to make an extra effort to give him that extra boost of enjoyment if I can. So after lunch outside we went! We had lots of fun outside together, Finley and Ollie were making noises that I don't usually hear them make because of all the birds outside they could hear. My son was enjoying taking to them and trying to get Ollie to step up, still a "no" from Ollie most of the time but every now and then he'll step up to Toby. Finley seemed glued to me and wanted to be on my shoulder the whole time watching the geese in the lake very closely and making cute growling noises every 30 seconds or so while chewing on one of my bird necklaces. Toby was going in and out of the house from time to time and after each time I would say "don't close the door all the way because if you accidentally latch the lock we will be locked out here". Ollie seemed to get all puffy and bathy like he wanted a bath so I got a big metal bowl full of water for him and Fin to play around in (video below). I also had a small clip on cup for food and water on the table top tree stand for them to enjoy at their leisure. So we had been outside for about an hour and I was about to take everyone inside but then Toby went inside to use the bathroom and as he came back out I said "Don't close the door all the way" as I has said the last 3 times (Toby is 12 by the way) and I hear the door shut hard. I was annoyed and asked him why on earth he shut the door and he said he thought I told him to shut the door. And I am like "why the heck would I tell you to shut the door after telling you to make sure the door is open a bit so we don't get locked out?" DERP. Anyways I was trying to teach him a lesson (now remember I had unlocked the door when we went out there) and said "now we might be locked out here see if the door is open." He goes to open the door and has a terrified look on his face and I thought he was just messing with me at 1st but then realized HE WASN'T! He must have locked the door on accident all those times he went in and out and didn't notice. UGGGGGGGG! We really were locked out. The only way off the deck is about a 10 foot jump into a bunch of sharp rocks so that was no good. Of course Toby offered to basically kill himself by jumping down and I am like "oh wow you mean I can get to watch my only son die while I am trapped up here? No thanks". So we really were in trouble. Keep in mind it's about noon on a Monday and I live in NJ pretty close to NYC and most people commute to work in the city by train so no neighbors are home and school is still in for the local kids (Toby goes to boarding school and gets out earlier) so there is literally no one home on our block. I didn't think it was fair to ask a neighbor to stop working for the day and take the train home to get us off the deck. Luckily I had that giant bowl of water so at least if we were up there for very long the birds would have water, and I had some food for them too. I of course texted my husband who was in NYC also and he was not much help but did seem rather worried about it. It's also important to note that I don't have many friends and the friends I am close to live in NYC and are chefs that work from noon to midnight and aren't allowed breaks usually so there is no way they could journey all the way to NJ to save me from my son's stupidity. I tried to rack my brain for someone that I wouldn't ruin their life and job to come get us out of there It was about 1pm and I looked at my son and said "well I hope you don't have to pee because well...there is no bathroom out here". He looked terrified and kept telling me he was sorry and I was like "Uggg just stop talking to me!" Finley by this time had decided he could not live without being firmly attached to the middle of my back...not really sure how he did it but he was there for a really long time hissing at something, kind of cute and funny. Ollie seemed to not care what was going on and just enjoyed his time on the tree stand without the green monster following him around like a lost puppy for once. I was starting to majorly freak out because I wasn't sure if I could take 8 more hours of this, it was about 97 degrees out and I was starting to get really hot. I wet the birds with some water so they could cool off a bit. I got an idea to ask my baby/birdsitter if her sister could come rescue us. I knew my birdsitter was working at a bank today and could not leave but her sister works at a bar so it would be easier to get off, although they live an hour away so it was a last resort. I knew my husband had a business dinner to go to tonight and would not be home until about 10pm and I knew that sounded impossible. I HAD to text Crystal (birdsitter) and ask her to ask her sister to come save us and to give her the house key so she can enter the house. In a few minutes I heard back from her that her sister was on her way and I was so happy! Crystal of course is Toby's babysitter and knows him very well and was like "omg why Toby why?" lol. So we waited there for another hour while I shot Toby a glare here and there and told him his punishments for his inability to listen and pay attention to what people are telling him. He got grounded to his room for the rest of the day and he has to give Crystal's sister his $20 he saved up for her missed hours at work and gas. He was relived that I didn't hate him so he took his fate in stride. I was so happy to see Crystal's sister walk in the door! Yay we're saved! I tanked her a billion times and Toby gave her the money and I gave her a little bit extra for doing me basically the biggest favor on the planet. I told the birds as we were going inside "well I hope you got enough outside time today." Lol. Hope you enjoyed this little story I know I didn't enjoy being locked outside for 3 hours in the blazing hot sun but...eh kids will be kids and birds will be birds!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nodpaeTz_FU"]Outside time with the boys! - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Now Finley looks outside with longing in his eyes...I guess I'm going to have to take him out more. I took him out while he was still wet from his bath and he LOVED it. He is seriously happy these last few days.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I only have one that likes going outside so far....I hope to convince the others that sunshine is good for them before the summer is done! I’m envious that your two love it :)

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Yeah. When we go outside they make these noises I've never heard them make, it makes me feel like if I keep taking them out they'll possibley learn to talk. It's so cute! It clearly makes them very happy. I'm going to have to set something up for them on the deck so they can go out all summer. I hope yours get more excited about it soon!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
haha, an interesting day at least. I bet Ollie and fin loved their extended outside time

as a tip for the future if you fold a rubber band over to make an 'X' shape you can use that to keep a door on the latch ;) Did that with my apartment's main door when I moved in and it works wonders

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
haha, an interesting day at least. I bet Ollie and fin loved their extended outside time

as a tip for the future if you fold a rubber band over to make an 'X' shape you can use that to keep a door on the latch ;) Did that with my apartment's main door when I moved in and it works wonders

LOL you beat me to it I was just going to give the same tip. I use it all the time but have a friend who put two loops on a cushion that she fits to the handles inside and outside the door to stop it locking shut.

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

That's awesome! Thanks guys. I had no idea.

Most Reactions

Latest posts