Be careful w/rope toys!

petwaitress

May 27, 2017
I threw out every piece of rope I had on bird toys today. I heard an odd noise from the bird room and when I walked in I found my BTM w/his head caught in a noose! He had unwound the 3 strand rope on one of his toys and stuck his head through it. This was not a new toy for him; he found a new use for it. I'm lucky I heard him otherwise I might not have found him in time. Many of my bird toys used cotton or sisal rope but if my birds can unwind the strands, they can become a trap. Please be careful!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm with ya, out of an abundance of anxiety and paranoia. The Rb has caught his skinny/pointy/sharp beak and skinny/pointy/sharp nails in ropes. I have a few ropes that I allow him WHEN I'M RIGHT THERE. Thank GOODNESS you were able to intervene!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad you discovered this situation in time to correct, thankfully your macaw is OK. Appreciate the share of information to help others prevent an occurrence.

Most Reactions

Latest posts