My conure keeps on crying

Bethany12354

Apr 20, 2019
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Petro
My green cheek conure keeps on sticking his head under things (bed sheet, couch covers, clothes etc) and making a noice that sounds a lot like he is crying. He is just over a year old and I’ve had him since he was about nine months. Is it normal for a conure to cry like that?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
This sounds 100% hormonal and you want to prevent it because it can lead to aggression, screaming etc.
Prevent access to shadowy places (boxes, huts, under furniture, bedding, pillows etc). Ensure 10-14 hours of dark, uninterrupted sleep. Limit or eliminate warm/mushy food at this time. Consider the types of toys he has access to (some of the grass shredding types can amplify nesting behavior). Pet only on the head (stroking and petting elsewhere is sexually stimulating).
A 1 year, you bird has become or is becoming sexually mature and hormonal birds can exhibit problematic behaviors, which is why you want to limit hormonal triggers to the best of your ability.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your GCC! Completely agree with noodles123 above. Your conure is not "crying" from sadness but rather hormonal urges that can lead to unwanted behaviors.

CallumConure

Apr 10, 2019
Central Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Callum- GCC Hatchday: October 15th, 2016
(nonparrot friends include rats, a dog, and a few reptiles :))
Mine is currently going through puberty. He's two years old and is definitely trying to make love with my and my guest's feet (blush). Never my hand or head, thankfully. Those are preening spots only, I guess.
He is a DNA confirmed male.

Any advice on how to discourage this behavior without being mean? I know firmness is not meanness and that he'll probably get pretty annoyed with me for stopping him, but I'm looking for ways that won't make him mad at me forever or cause us to lose trust in each other.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Mine is currently going through puberty. He's two years old and is definitely trying to make love with my and my guest's feet (blush). Never my hand or head, thankfully. Those are preening spots only, I guess.
He is a DNA confirmed male.

Any advice on how to discourage this behavior without being mean? I know firmness is not meanness and that he'll probably get pretty annoyed with me for stopping him, but I'm looking for ways that won't make him mad at me forever or cause us to lose trust in each other.

Read my initial post above about removing access to shadowy places, avoiding pets anywhere other than the head and avoiding warm/mushy food...provide plenty of activity outside of the cage etc. He may be annoyed for a bit, but as long as you continue to be a part of his life (without taking initial annoyance personally) then I doubt you will damage trust...Redirect/ distract/change the subject when things get sexual--don't attend to the behavior or scold.

Last edited:

Most Reactions