Hi all! New macaw owner here!

MissMelanie

Apr 21, 2019
Hello all! I hope to get some much needed advice from all you experienced parrot owners! I am a new macaw owner myself and I am working hard to be a great owner. I love the bird but this is all new to me so I welcome advice. I have a harleyquinn(?) macaw that was abused and mistreated. He has aggressive moments, doesn't like to be touched and tries to bite. He has his really good days too though. Sings, talks, mimics. I just want him to have a good quality of life!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hello all! I hope to get some much needed advice from all you experienced parrot owners! I am a new macaw owner myself and I am working hard to be a great owner. I love the bird but this is all new to me so I welcome advice. I have a harleyquinn(?) macaw that was abused and mistreated. He has aggressive moments, doesn't like to be touched and tries to bite. He has his really good days too though. Sings, talks, mimics. I just want him to have a good quality of life!

Welcome! Have you had birds before and do you know about their very sensitive respiratory systems (with regard to PTFE/PFOA/Teflon/PFC's and the dangers posed by general household cleaning/hygiene products?)

Birds move in slow-motion so you have to have a lot of patience. If you can safely allow him to do so, try opening the door and allowing him to just hang out on his cage top.

Do not rush physical contact or hand-feeding and take time to build trust and associate yourself with positive things. Once trust is established, pet only on the head and neck---cuddles etc=sexual and hormonal birds have a slew of issues.

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Hello and great you found all of us. :)

If you haven't already, do read the posts by Birdman666 (just use the search option on top of the page). He knows his stuff and macaws esp..
(I got here over a year ago as a macaw-newbie and some of those post were life- and sanitysavers ;) )

Thank you for taking in a bird in need!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Gulf Coast, Louisiana/Mississippi State Line S/E
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"

Hi Miss Melanie, first of all let me say I'm new here and unknown, I'll state my opinion, and it may not be shared by anyone, and let you decide, because I've been where you are. "Love" goes a long way with a bird or any pet, Pets can feel it. I often tell people if my dog doesn't like you, then I probably don't either, animals as well as birds can sense this. Next I wouldn't try to approach the macaw to handle him/ in any way. I would personally work on him getting acquainted with you and building some form of trust. To accomplish this I would try several different treats in your macaws food dish, try to figure out which one he grabs first, the one he grabs first will more than likely be his favorite, unless he's unfamiliar with the others, so try this a few times. Then every time I walked past his cage, I would drop that treat in his food dish. Let him see good associated with you. Thats how I would start the process, and again this is just my opinion from being in your shoe's and may not be shared by anyone else.

I'm not sure how you came about taking in this abused and mistreated baby, but I will say it may have only taken a very short time to abuse and mistreat this baby, and you may spend years trying to reverse the damage done, if it can ever be undone. I would keep my expectations low, and take whatever you can as a victory, and know in your heart this babies in a much better place now than he ever was before. Again just my opinion, But Thank You for taking this baby in, and sharing your heart and love with him.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
QUOTE=Scott "Rescuers of abused birds have a special place in our forums!"

Welcome MissMelanie...I agree with Scott and would add that you also have a special place in heaven.:)...

Look forward to hearing more from you,
Debbie:red1:

Most Reactions