feathers aren't right

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
I think I might not be feeding my birds a good diet, a "parrot mix" and zupreme about 50/50. The mix contains peanuts. I also give them grapes about every other day and just recently added bits of orange, although only Baby (the 'too) eats those. I use a peanut to coax them back into their cages after social time.

Both have areas on their chest that seem to be plucked and in general their feathers don't look "solid" like they should, the pieces kind of spread apart.

I finally convinced my wife the birds should have much younger caretakers (we're both about 60) but so far we haven't found anyone appropriate. I'm not just going to give them up to a rescue, but we do want them in good health when we find a better long term home.

Here's the saddest part, the reason she finally agreed to rehome them is that the 'too screams. Not excessively or in abnormal ways, just screams like any cockatoo would, in the morning, when one of us arrives home, or when we talk from room to room or argue.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am sorry you are going through this!
I do believe that caring for a "too" is quite difficult, especially with age (I feel exhausted and I'm in my 30s)...That having been said, I would suggest that you keep your birds as long as you can, as separating from you will be emotionally difficult for them (they may exhibit exaggerated behaviors as a result of the transition)...You "Too" hasn't even hit sexual maturity, and that comes with a whole new batch of behaviors and concerns (around 6-7 years of age, there is a new set of rules in terms of how much you can pet them and where etc etc)...those behaviors + re-homing could produce a destructive combination. Plus, I am guessing they are semi-bonded, and I can count the number of people I would trust to take on my bird on one hand---one finger...if that...let alone an Amazon +Too duo.

I am not saying that there is never a time to re-home, but if you are able to provide care, then even if it isn't perfect, it may be more meaningful than care provided by a stranger. That having been said, it is smart to plan ahead and recognize when you are no longer doing right by them (and/or to acknowledge that health may prevent you from doing so at some point in the future--I think about this as well).

If you do re-home, I would absolutely make sure that their future home is well-acquainted with cockatoos specifically (not just large parrots--as "toos" are quite unique and the most re-homed of all bird species). Many people think they know what owning a cockatoo is like (especially a, Sulphur Crested, U2 or Moloccun)but it's hard to imagine until you are living it...add to that the fact that a non-mature cockatoo's personality will change some when it hits puberty.

I am a huge believer in blood-work, as it was the only thing that proved to people (vets included) that my "too" came to me with an undetected liver condition.
As a baseline for health, blood-work is essential, and if I had gone on physical appearances alone (and advice from a 2 vets) I wouldn't have ever known. I got a few eye-rolls for insisting and it turns out that I was right to do so. Since then, her liver issue has been corrected, but unless you are overly cautious, it can take too long to realize that there is a problem and by then, it can be too late...They hide illness, so physical symptoms aren't often obvious until a disease has progressed.

While you are at it, you may as well run tests for PBFD and PDD (as these viruses are highly contagious and can be spread by "carriers"- birds without symptoms---feather dust, fecal matter, mother-to-egg, oral secretions, dander= all modes of transmission...and incubation periods as long as 10 years in some PDD cases....Since both birds are showing feather abnormalities, I would go ahead an test (and honestly, I would test even if they weren't--just because if you do re-home, you don't want anyone pointing fingers).

In terms of the bald patches, diet could play a role, but it could also be related to stress, boredom or even habit. Peanuts are generally frowned upon due to the risk of aspergillosis that they pose, and their high fat content. Daily vegetables are also important and human food should be extremely limited. Another possibility is that hormones are starting to rev up (as the parents of many pre-teens will acknowledge, puberty starts before it is obvious). In case there is any hormonal root, I would make sure that you are only petting your birds on the head, remove any access to shadowy areas (boxes, blankets, under furniture, tents, low-ledges, under clothing etc) and establish a very solid sleep/light routine with at least 12-14 hours of dark, uninterrupted sleep each night. This plays a huge role in regulating hormones. Additionally, warm/mushy foods can be a hormone trigger for many birds (as they are similar to the consistency of regurgitated food). A hormonal bird often will over-attend to feathers, scream, and show increased aggression.

Since we already are talking about blood, a vitamin panel would give your more specific insight as to any deficiencies, but if you have to pick just 1 test, start with a CBC for general health. It won't tell you if your bird has certain diseases, but it will give you an idea of how their organs are doing.

Try to provide lots of out of cage time and work on providing alternative activities. My cockatoo loves to play with these plastic c-links (as an alternative to some over her over-preening).

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Amen to the previous advice: just make sure they have homes lined up when you need them, do not say goodbye too soon :)

(You are only 60-ish you can both live to 90 easily. Humans are getting ridiculously old these days you know ;) )

In case of death etc. most parrotpeople will have an "emergency contact" who knows where your paperwork about what bird goes where, with whom etc. is written out (and signed by you) and kept. So no matter what, the birds wil have the best chance of having a great life away from the now-owners/ parronts.

Not to bash the manifacturer, but Sunny (my macaw) came here on 100% supreme (the beige sugary type) as her main food and her feathers were complete and utter crap!
Hard and brittle, not bendy like feathers should be.
(I changed it immediately and she is bouncing back.)

So yes diet could be part of the problem. BUT that is just a huge "could".
Maybe you give them too many grapes and the sugar in them gets to the birds...who knows.

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I'm very sorry you're going through this, but as mentioned above, you really need to think long and hard about re-homing your parrots, because the stress and trauma that re-homing will cause them is almost guaranteed to make their lives much, much, much worse, and their levels of stress much greater...And if you do decide to re-home either of them, you absolutely DO SHOULD TAKE THEM TO A CERTIFIED, REPUTABLE AVIAN RESCUE!!! You absolutely DO NOT want to re-home them to any private-party or individual unless it's someone that you already know extremely well, that you already trust with your own life, and that you know will not just take them from you and then sell them on Craigslist!!!

I have been the Medical Liaison at a very large, private Avian/Reptile Rescue for over 8 years now, and that's exactly the kind of place you want to find (I certainly can help you find the closest, reputable Avian Rescue to your town/city through our nationwide network)...I can safely and with confidence tell you that well over 50% of all parrots, regardless of their species, that are re-homed/sold to a private-party or individual or family, even when they are not advertised on shady online sales sites like Craigslist, but rather by organizations, social media re-homing sites, and private bird and parrot re-homing sites, will be re-homed/sold at least once more within the first year after you re-home/sell them....In my experience it's typically 2 or 3 times in the first year until someone keeps them for longer than a few months...And with a Cockatoo, well, they go into what we call "The Re-Homing Cycle of Hell" at the Rescue...Most Cockatoo species have an average of over 10 homes during their lives, and I have seen some of the Moluccans, Umbrellas, Sulphurs, Citrons, and Galahs that have had over 20 homes in as many years by the time they are FIRST BROUGHT TO A RESCUE!!!

Parrots are big-business right now, especially the large parrots, and they are unfortunately treated like cash-crops in the private-sale markets. So again, unless you re-home/sell your birds to a person or family that you already know very well and trust very much, then you absolutely want to take them to a Certified, Reputable Avian Rescue, because they ALL have a very long and invasive adoption-process that on-average takes several months just to get to the point where we are going to do a home visit...So that's definitely the way you want to go, because we investigate EVERYTHING about a potential adopter: Criminal Background, Financial/Employment Background, we speak to at least 3 references from their relatives, then their friends, then people they've worked with, we require a Vet reference, etc. And most-importantly require that people do at least 5 visits at the Rescue with the bird they are thinking of adopting, each visit lasting at least 3 hours, and if WE don't feel that the bird and the person or people are going to be a good match

However, as I said, it's best for the birds if they stay with you in the first place, if that is at all possible...I don't know how long you've had them, but if they are showing some Feather-Destructive Behaviors now, it's only going to go way downhill the minute they are removed from their home, from their Flock, and from you...That's just a given...

***As far as their diet goes, you definitely want to avoid any Seed-Mixes that contain any Peanuts (or other Nuts for that matter), any pieces or kernels of Dried Corn, and any Sunflower Seeds[/], because these are nothing but fat and carbs (which are turned into fat), and with captive/pet birds who aren't flying miles each day, these foods quickly cause Fatty Liver Disease, Kidney Disease, Heart Disease, and pre-mature death...And Peanuts should not EVER be given, even as a treat, as they carry a mold that is toxic/lethal to birds...

The same goes for any type of Pellets that are "Fruit-Flavored", as they are nothing but sugar, which is again turned into fat...Instead, you want to feed them a Pellet that is "Natural-Flavored"...So if the Zupreem pellets you feed them both are "Zupreem Natural", then they're pretty good, but if they are the multi-colored Zupreem "Fruit" pellets then they're getting nothing but sugar, carbs, fat, etc. from them, and you need to switch them out for the Natural Zupreem, or for a better brand of Natural pellets such as Harrisons or TOPS...But Zupreem Natural isn't that bad, it's much, much better than the Fruit pellets.

There are seed-mixes you can buy that are low in fat, high in protein, and that are extremely varied with lots of healthy seeds, grains, legumes, herbs, and veggies, with a tiny bit of fruit, but that still contain No Sunflower Seeds, No Nuts/Peanuts, and No Pieces of Dried Corn...These are what you want to replace the current seed you are feeding them for sure, I'd do this IMMEDIATELY because those junky Seed-Mixes that contain Peanuts, Corn, and Sunflower Seeds are just horrible for them, and one of the most common causes of them not living nearly as long as they should. Petco sells some really healthy, great Seed-Mixes, such as Higgins Vita-Seed California-Blend, Tropimix, Higgins Safflower Gold, etc. Whatever Seed-Mix you switch them to, remember, NO SUNFLOWER SEEDS AT ALL, NO PIECES OR KERNELS OF DRIED CORN, AND NO PEANUTS OR OTHER NUTS EITHER (There are some that contain whole in-shell Almonds, which are totally fine, the bags don't contain that many and Almonds are actually beneficial to them, but NO PEANUTS!)

*****What you also really need to make a change with ASAP is the fresh produce you are feeding them...Fresh Fruit (or any Fruit) is absolutely LOADED WITH NATURAL SUGARS, tons of them, and once again these Sugars are just turned into fat and stored in their bodies, just like the fat from the Sunflower Seeds, Peanuts, and Dried Corn is. So fresh Fruit should only be given to them occasionally AS A TREAT, NOT A PART OF THEIR DAILY DIET!!! Giving your birds a few Grapes maybe 2-3 times a week, or any other fresh Fruit in-place of the Grapes, again, maybe give them a small portion 2-3 days out of the week and that's it...What they do need to be fed every single day to improve their overall-health and restore things like their feather-quality and sheen, and just make them feel better all the way around, are large servings of all different kinds of fresh Veggies and fresh Greens, the dark, leafy Greens specifically.

Your birds should both be getting a nice, large serving fresh Veggies and Dark, Leafy Greens at least once a day. The nice thing is that besides anything in the Onion family, such as all types of Onions, Leeks, Chives, etc., which you cannot ever give them because they are all toxic to birds, otherwise you can feed them pretty much ANY OTHER VEGGIE and DARK, LEAFY GREENS as long as they are FRESH and not Canned. And fresh Veggies and Dark, Leafy Greens are very inexpensive and available everywhere, from all the Grocery stores to Walmart, etc. My guys love fresh Green Beans, all types of Pea Pods, Broccoli, all types of Squash such as Butternut, Spaghetti, Acorn, Yellow, and Green (Zucchini), all types of Bell Peppers such as Red, Green, Yellow, and Orange (they also LOVE the Bell Pepper Seeds!), they LOVE Sweet Potatoes, a little Cauliflower, Okra, Eggplant, basically any fresh Veggie that isn't in the Onion family...I would stay away from Corn and Potatoes, as neither provides any nutrition and both are full of Carbs (sugar) and really aren't Veggies but rather starches...

They also LOVE Dark, Leafy Greens, such as Bok Choy, Pak Choy, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Collard Greens, Dandelion Greens, Arugula/Rocket, Chards, Endive, Escarole, Kale, etc. Stay away from any "Watery" Lettuces and Greens, such as Iceberg Lettuce and pretty much all other Lettuces, Celery, etc., as they contain no nutritional-value and are basically nothing but water...

***As far as fresh Fruit to give them as an occasional Treat, You need to STAY AWAY FROM GIVING THEM ANY AVOCADOS, AS THEY ARE TOXIC TO BIRDS, AND ANY CITRUS FRUIT, SUCH AS ORANGES, GRAPEFRUIT, LEMONS, LIMES, ETC... I know you said you've been giving them Oranges, which is okay if you only give them a very, very small piece once a week at most, but anything more than that can make them extremely sick...All Birds/Parrots have trouble processing Iron, they don't need much Iron at all in their diets, and if they are fed much Iron at all they develop a condition called "Iron Storage Syndrome/Disease", which can be fatal if not treated immediately...And unfortunately Vitamin C greatly enhances the body's absorption of Iron from any food that they eat...So this is why you should avoid feeding your birds much Citrus Fruit or Fruit Juice at all, especially Oranges, as they contain a ton of Vitamin C...So very small pieces of Orange once a week or one little drink of Orange Juice once a week at most and that's it. However, there are plenty of other fresh Fruits you can feed them as occasional treats 2-3 times a week at most, to avoid feeding them all that sugar. They like Apples, Bananas, Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Seedless-Grapes, etc. So these fresh Fruits make a nice treat a few times a week...

So if you start adding large, daily portions of lots of different fresh Veggies and Dark, Leafy Greens, you cut-out the fresh Fruit except as occasional treats, you switch them to Zupreem "Natural" pellets instead of the "Fruit-flavored" pellets, and you stop feeding them the junky, high-fat Seed-Mix that contain Sunflower Seeds, Peanuts, and Dried Corn and replace it with a low-fat, high-protein, high-nutrition Seed-Mix that is extremely varied in it's healthy ingredients like grains, legumes, lower-fat seeds, herbs, veggies, etc., then your birds will not only look better, they will feel a ton better and live much, much longer...

OP
henry0reilly

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
It never occurred to me that foods good for wild birds would be detrimental to caged birds. At one point I made up my own mix of cracked corn, safflower seeds, sunflower seeds, and peanuts (but only 1 peanut per meal) and mixed that 50/50 with Zupreem Fruitblend, all things you've said should be fed rarely or not at all.

My wife used to be the resident caretaker at the Home For Friendless Animals near Waynetown, Indiana. They have hundreds of dogs and cats that are fed and housed, get medical treatment, but almost no interaction with people except these basic necessities. I think it's cruel. They also have a few birds, which I suspect are rarely if ever out of their cages.

Max and Baby were not caged at all before we got them. The lady who owned them had to be moved to long term care. A dead African Gray was also found in the home.

I suspect we may be Baby's second home but no clue how long this lady might have had Max. He hates me with a passion. He would rip my guts out and feed them to vultures if he had the chance. Baby flies, which I know isn't especially safe. We've never clipped Max's wings but he doesn't fly, apparently never learned.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I think I might not be feeding my birds a good diet, a "parrot mix" and zupreme about 50/50. The mix contains peanuts. I also give them grapes about every other day and just recently added bits of orange, although only Baby (the 'too) eats those. I use a peanut to coax them back into their cages after social time.

Both have areas on their chest that seem to be plucked and in general their feathers don't look "solid" like they should, the pieces kind of spread apart.

I finally convinced my wife the birds should have much younger caretakers (we're both about 60) but so far we haven't found anyone appropriate. I'm not just going to give them up to a rescue, but we do want them in good health when we find a better long term home.

Here's the saddest part, the reason she finally agreed to rehome them is that the 'too screams. Not excessively or in abnormal ways, just screams like any cockatoo would, in the morning, when one of us arrives home, or when we talk from room to room or argue.

Hi, you're having me on aren't you? 60 is not old! You perhaps would be sensible to have options lined up 'if something happens to either of you'? If you just feel they are too much that is another thing altogether. No blame, or arguments.

I will not let any of my birds have peanuts, they in fact are not a nut but a legume, tree nuts are a much healthier option. Zupreem, won't touch it! This could contribute to some of your issues? Have you tried TOPs, 100% organic, no nasties? (If I was on the same continent I'd happily send you some hun). Do you sprout? No? Have a go it provides good nutrition. Good old dry seed doesn't really provide very much tbh, you can soak and sprout it if it is good quality though? You should really focus more on providing a varied diet of veggies, plenty of Vit A givers, sweet potato, squashes, carrots, peppers, and also chillis, sugar snap peas, a little spinach, pea tops, amongst others. :)

Most Reactions