Baths And Showers..?

Jan 16, 2019
Maldives, H.Dh Kulhudhuffushi
Parrots
White-faced 'tiel (Cookie). Pied Budgie (Pepper).
Cookie hates water. Unless s/he has to drink it.

I've tried 2 different ways to give Cookie a shower/bath.
1-I tried to give him/her a misting. Hated it.
2-I tried giving him/her a bowl with some water in it. Only drank from it.

It's really hot at noon (around 38-40 degrees Celsius. Somewhere in-between). And that's the time I want to give Cookie a shower/bath to keep him/her cool..

Any suggestions to get him/her to enjoy or at least tolerate a shower/bath?​

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Oh! I might be able to help here..

Some birds are very particular about how they bathe. Anything from temperature to angle of the spray to velocity of the spray! Cairo likes to start off with a light warm sprinkle on the side, then he likes a more solid downpour (preferably on the cooler from above, and occasionally he asks for a light misting under his wings from below.

I did also receive some advice here meant for smaller birds about offering a bowl with green leaves inside it - apparently some species like to rub against the wet greens (not sure if cockatiels are included).

Another thing that helped was normalising showering for Cairo. I take him into the shower with me. He used to watch from a distance and realised soon that the human was (hardcore pretending) to enjoy the shower (I was chatting in a happy, reassuring voice to him). Nowadays he either sits on his perch or sits on my head to shower.

But! For you and me to note, since we're both in hot and humid countries, don't cold-shock them. If a bird is overheating, best you spray water on their feet - not the whole body just yet. I read somewhere if their internal body temperature is high (enough that their wings and spread), then dousing them in cold water might cause internal organ damage. Not sure on the details - just know that avian systems are different from our mammalian ones :)

Last edited:
OP
ChocolateChipCookiez
Jan 16, 2019
Parrots
Oh! I might be able to help here..

Some birds are very particular about how they bathe. Anything from temperature to angle of the spray to velocity of the spray! Cairo likes to start off with a light warm sprinkle on the side, then he likes a more solid downpour (preferably on the cooler from above, and occasionally he asks for a light misting under his wings from below.

I did also receive some advice here meant for smaller birds about offering a bowl with green leaves inside it - apparently some species like to rub against the wet greens (not sure if cockatiels are included).

Another thing that helped was normalising showering for Cairo. I take him into the shower with me. He used to watch from a distance and realised soon that the human was (hardcore pretending) to enjoy the shower (I was chatting in a happy, reassuring voice to him). Nowadays he either sits on his perch or sits on my head to shower.

But! For you and me to note, since we're both in hot and humid countries, don't cold-shock them. If a bird is overheating, best you spray water on their feet - not the whole body just yet. I read somewhere if their internal body temperature is high (enough that their wings and spread), then dousing them in cold water might cause internal organ damage. Not sure on the details - just know that avian systems are different from our mammalian ones :)

Thanks for the advice:D

I'll try what you suggested and then maybe Cookie will enjoy or tolerate a shower.:)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
BB is allergic to water...or so he thinks :rolleyes: Hates baths. Only a couple times when he was young he bathed on his own. I put him in the kitchen sink with the water luke warm on trickle. He'd run around inside yelling his head off,then all of a sudden,he would face-plant himself in the basin,roll around,waving his arms frantically while making cute cockatiel sounds :) He did this maybe three times. Now he goes in the shower with me. I put him on the shower curtain rod and do my thing then he'll hop onto my hand as I move him in and out of a light spray/mist. At times he'll wave his arms other times he just sits on my hand. I give him a good soaking then wrap him in a towel and pat him dry. He tolerates getting dry most times.

Jim

OP
ChocolateChipCookiez
Jan 16, 2019
Parrots
BB is allergic to water...or so he thinks :rolleyes: Hates baths. Only a couple times when he was young he bathed on his own. I put him in the kitchen sink with the water luke warm on trickle. He'd run around inside yelling his head off,then all of a sudden,he would face-plant himself in the basin,roll around,waving his arms frantically while making cute cockatiel sounds :) He did this maybe three times. Now he goes in the shower with me. I put him on the shower curtain rod and do my thing then he'll hop onto my hand as I move him in and out of a light spray/mist. At times he'll wave his arms other times he just sits on my hand. I give him a good soaking then wrap him in a towel and pat him dry. He tolerates getting dry most times.

Jim

My..allergic to water? I hope he'll be alright XD

Well, at least BB tolerates/enjoys a shower/bath. The only thing Cookie does with water is drink. Any other use for water is against Cookie's law:p.​

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I just Apollo into the shower with me and she seems to enjoy that.

Some smaller birds like to bathe themselves with wet leafy greens. Like kale or dandelion greens. could try that.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Alex loves being mosted after he convinces himself. I spray in the room at like a plant or something, and then eventually he does the head down, wings up thing that means "spray me!". And then I literally cannot spray him enough. He looks so silly all wet.

Speaking of, Alex is way overdue for a good soaking.. hope we find the box with his spray bottle soon

Most Reactions