My Tweety (cocktiel) is silent

Intisar

Apr 6, 2019
islamabad, Pakistan
Parrots
Conure.
Tweety is almost of 9 months and verry happy active runs here and there, but during the whole day he whistles are speaks just once or twice.
I have seen a lot of cocktiels in YouTube videos they are whistling singing and making a lot of noise, i wonder why not my Tweety doing the same and why I keep silent most of the time.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Have you had your bird checked by a vet (blood-work etc) and how often is he/she out of his/her cage each day?
It's hard to know without details.

OP
I

Intisar

Apr 6, 2019
islamabad, Pakistan
Parrots
Conure.
No I did not take him to any doctor.
He spends all most all day out of cage, but at night he is in cage till morning.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
That's good--- what does he eat each day?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Female Cockatiels are generally quieter than male Tiels.
It could be you have a girl that doesn't have much to say.
A vet visit is always a good idea if she has changed from being vocal to not singing much.

OP
I

Intisar

Apr 6, 2019
islamabad, Pakistan
Parrots
Conure.
U can see his feed pic, diff seeds , mixed available in market special for concktiels.
And I give him fresh green leaves of vegetables, he takes few bites of apple some times,

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019
Maldives, H.Dh Kulhudhuffushi
Parrots
White-faced 'tiel (Cookie). Pied Budgie (Pepper).
U can see his feed pic, diff seeds , mixed available in market special for concktiels.
And I give him fresh green leaves of vegetables, he takes few bites of apple some times,

You should remove the sunflower seeds. They shouldn't be given to a bird as daily food. Hand pick the sunnflower seeds or buy a seed mix with no sunflower seeds.​

Tweety is almost of 9 months and verry happy active runs here and there, but during the whole day he whistles are speaks just once or twice.
I have seen a lot of cocktiels in YouTube videos they are whistling singing and making a lot of noise, i wonder why not my Tweety doing the same and why I keep silent most of the time.

Tweety may be sick. I would also suggest going to a vet and having his/her blood work done​

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Since he’s never been, a vet checkup wouldn’t be a bad idea, though I doubt a bird who is active and playing with a good appetite is sick. Some birds are just quiet. It’s an anomaly, but not necessarily an indicator of poor health or being “unhappy”.

Our amazon is a quiet guy. He makes a couple of little noises but not that often throughout the day and he hardly ever makes big noises. He’s quiet enough we’ve always lived in apartments, a sublet, a condo.... and never had a noise complaint. Most neighbors don’t even know we have a parrot until they see him out with us!

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
Try teaching him some different whistles or one whistle every day. Eventually he'll mimic the whistle. If there is no vocalization of talking and whistle, Tweety may very well be a female. That fact that he's active and makes some noises here and there and eats is a good sign, but as always a sure way to know is a visit to the doctor. Are pellets for parrots available where you are or can you get them? They're much healthier than seeds but a balance of seeds and pellets would be idea, it's also great that he eats veggies! He's a cutie!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My male cockatiel Fang has always been the strong, silent type. But put him in front of the bathroom mirror and he will whistle every tune he knows at top note! Or if he hears our neighbour’s cockatiels from across the street he will whistle at them too. Their personalities are as different as people’s. You could try teaching Tweety some tunes - if you don’t mind him whistling them back at you over and over and over and over and over....!

OP
I

Intisar

Apr 6, 2019
islamabad, Pakistan
Parrots
Conure.
tonight am going to meet a doctor with Heero (alex),
so the Tweety(cocktiel) will go with us as well, i want his general checkup and a DNA,
hope am doing this all right

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
tonight am going to meet a doctor with Heero (alex),
so the Tweety(cocktiel) will go with us as well, i want his general checkup and a DNA,
hope am doing this all right

If you can, you should bring a fresh poop sample from both of your birds (labeled with their names and the date in 2 separate plastic bags--like the type you would store food in). If you have to collect the sample earlier in the day, it can stay viable as long as you store it in the fridge until you leave for the appointment (but the fresher the better--try not to use a sample older than 10 hours and make sure you store it in the fridge if it is going to sit for more than an hour or so).

They should be able to look the poop under a microscope for certain types of bacteria (it's called a gram-stain). If they can do blood-work on your older cockatiel (Tweety), it would be a good idea, but the poop sample is a good start and certainly less invasive...Mouth swabs can also detect bacteria that is not present in droppings. A clean gram-stain and swab result doesn't promise health, but it's better than nothing and will at least tell you if there are bacterial problems.

Blood work will tell you about your bird's organs (liver and kidney function etc) as well as infection, so that is why I suggested it originally.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Feb 25, 2016
South Carolina, USA
Parrots
Kiwi The Lovebird
I agree with the above posters in getting him checked up. However I will say that our male cockatiel didnt whistle until he was about the age of 1 year. Every bird has a different personality, maybe tweet is just still in his "baby" phase? Does he make "growling" or "eek" noises?

Most Reactions

Latest posts