my baby sunconure

Jul 17, 2019
I got Kylo when he was just a week old. When I did one of his eyes he didn't open. I later found out he couldn't open his eyes. I live in Maldives. We have only have one vet and that is also at the capital. We didn't know what to do so we searched up on the internet what to do. We rubbed warm water on his eyes and he/she (idk) has gotten better. Kylo is now about 6-7 weeks old and now opens his eyes but they are watery. Its been like that ever since I got him. He/She also doesn't eat well and throws up whenever I feed him (i give up). He also doesn't open his mouth to eat I have to force the food into his mouth. He also has a spot on his stomach where no feathers grew maybe its an infection? He has started growing all his feathers and the ones which didn't grow on his stomach are now growing.

WHaT To dO PlEaSe??:orange::orange::orange:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A warm welcome to you and Kylo!

Did he come from a breeder, or a private sale? Can you describe his diet in more detail? It is possible Kylo has a congenital issue and/or was not properly weaned. Are you able to post images, particularly of the eyes/beak/chest? Keep in mind none of us are vets or techs, but may be able to share our collective experiences.

This may be of interest: http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

I would recommend a vet exam, though there may not be any avian certified in Maldives. Found this article: https://maldivesindependent.com/society/first-veterinary-clinic-opens-in-maldives-143440

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Sorry to hear you are having issues with your sun conure.

To be honest he sounds like he was born sickly and has a multitude of issues to address.

His eyes -- they generally don't open their eyes until they are 2 weeks old, after that they should be open and nice and black. Bad breeding causes these issues, aka breeding sick birds to sick birds makes sick, unhealthy babies.

Bald spot on his chest - it could also be the bad breeding, or inbreeding, which is breeding related bids, who can have babies with a ton of physical defects.

Not eating -- could be a multitude of issues here too. Formula could be incorrect for a baby bird, not correct ratio of water to formula powder, not hot enough (should be 100 degrees F to 110 degrees F) . A baby bird that isn't eating needs to be seen by a vet ASAP.

Sorry to say its not looking that good. Can you get to the vet in your area??

Most Reactions

Latest posts