Vet visit next week

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Hello All, I know there are a few of these posts. I've had a look at them, but still have a few questions.

I'm taking my Alexandrine and my Common Mynah in for a wellness check next week with a CAV. The Alex will step up and fly to me etc, but can't be touched and I don't think he will comply at all in a new setting like a vets.

The Mynah is my little wild thing, she will walk all over me (literally and metaphorically), but is in no way trained!

How will they be able to examine them? Will they have to sedate them or towel them and put up with the screaming and biting!?

I want to ask for everything, bloods and physical exam, but I'm pretty nervous.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Commonly, the Avian Professional will pick-up the Parrot using a towel and then will shift moving their hand to hold the Parrots head with one hand. This hold, allows them to complete an examination. If they elect to sedate, it is more common with much larger Parrots or if they are preforming an X-ray driven by other findings during the examination.

It is important to remember that they handle birds all day long and with the combination of extensive training and tons of practice it is rarely a problem.

Relax and become the welcoming individual that is taking them from the evil Vet. :D

OP
Jottlebot

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Thank you SailBoat! I feel better.

I'll keep their travel cages covered and put on a funny voice so they don't know I'm taking them and then I'll swoop in and rescue them at the end ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts