Newbie Question

Lindarabb

Dec 10, 2019
Thanks to you all for helping me figure out my new parakeets issues which I resolved by removing almost all toys. My new question is that while I am able to reach in and pet him and get him on to my finger, how long should I wait before I leave the door open for him to fly about. Restricted baby proofed area. Will he find his cage again easily?

Thank you all so much.:greenyellow:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Do it when you have lots of time, you don't ever want to chase him.

After having my Budgies for a few days I let them out. I wasn't trying to tame though. I just wanted them to have a happy active life. The top of their cages and my other cages are set up with perches toys and stuff. At the end if their first day they went back in on their own. After I put up the other parrots. Something at first I had to put up the other birds then I put myself behind them and told them night night time and pointed at their cage. I would slowly walk towards them, and wait as the flew away from me closer to the cage, and u would repeat. Until they went to the cage. They are very smart and learned this within a week I think. Shortly any time I put the other bird up and pointed at their cage they went in. :)

But you can also make the room dark with just aight on over the cage they will move to the light. If you only have good and water in the cage only that helps.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Agree- no chasing...keep food in the cage and the door open- cover windows and put up something to keep him from slamming around all over the house---do not shut him in the second he goes back for food or he will learn that when he goes in he gets locked up. I f he approaches you and seems to want to be touched etc, you can try, but I would move slowly --get him comfortable with his new environment first before pushing contact-- start small and see if he will eat food off top of cage etc---as long as the area is pretty closed off (and there are no high places or shelves that he could perch on) I would think he would come back (as the alternative would be the floor). DO make sure he can't get into shadowy places like under furniture or anything cave-like (drawers etc) because that can trigger nesting/hormonal behavior.

Most Reactions