Budgies, Parrotlets, and Love Birds (oh my!)

AndyGately

Oct 6, 2019
Hey There!

Iā€™ve been considering bringing a bite sized flock member into my household! Of course the most well known small birds are obviously budgies/parakeets, parrotlets, and love birds. Iā€™m curious on peopleā€™s thoughts about the three (or even if you have other recommendations!). I donā€™t have a specific preference in mind, so Iā€™m just looking to get a general idea about their general behaviors and personalities! (Also, this is not my first bird! Just to note!)

Thanks!

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Honestly, all three of those are lovely choices. I would think it more has to do with what you are looking for in a bird. Lovebirds can be a little bit more challenging, but they can make lovely companions and I think are well worth it. They can more easily "go wild" in my experience if you do not put in the time and effort with them, but if you put in the time and effort, they can be cuddly and sweet wonderful friends. Plus, you can't beat their little faces when it comes to that cute factor. Something about their eyes and beaks just melt my heart. :07: They play pranks, too. sometimes not kindheared pranks, but you can tell they are laughing and not angry. lol little punks.

Budgies are just absolutely perfect in my completely biased opinion. They are bold and sassy in a funny and wonderful way. Very smart little guys. Friendly, sweet, funnier than anything, and easy to train in my experience. Of the three species, a male budgie would probably make the best talker, and they can be trained to do all sorts of pint-sized tricks. Of course, play style is individual by individual, but in my experience budgies love to splinter wood and shred paper, but they are gentle with plastic so you have more diy toy options. They are definitely easier on toys than a lovebird. Proportionally, a lovebird has a pretty durn big face-canopener. If you go with a lovie I can pretty much guarantee you will be bit. They just kinda do that, even if they really like you. Adorable little feathered pirahanas. A budgie hen can be a VERY sweet friend and they are more likely to preen your face for hours. Budgie hens can also be little sass-machines too, don't get me wrong. Our special needs budgie hen is a cuddle bug velcro bird who is also a sassy little angry beeper. She has never bit a human in her entire life and was NOT hand fed as a baby. She does the budgie sass attack beak storm fake out while beeping angrily, but has never closed that beak of hers on human flesh.

I do not have much personal experience with parrotlets tho I'm afraid. I've known a few, but none too well. Thankfully, there are some people with parrotlets here who I'm sure will chime in.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Cockatiels are also wonderful little things. Lots of different "flavors" out there. The males are preferred because they whistle/talk better and females are prone to egg laying. As Bug stated,budgies are also awesome. I don't know anything about lovies or parrolets.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts