How cold is too cold?

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi everybody,

I'm just wondering what is too cold for my budgie to go outside. We're all on lockdown and its warming up, so I'd like to take him outside and let him enjoy in his smaller cage. Our grass is untreated and he likes to roll in it, lol.

Its currently 54°F today. I would definitely think that's too cold, but what is acceptable for us to go and sit outside for maybe half an hour?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It has to be very gradual. Any shift of 10 degrees or more can cause stress in their systems. There are "too hot" and "too cold" ranges as well, but it's going to depend mostly on species, feather quality,habituation **gradual** and availability to warmth/shade/water etc when it comes to the 60-90 degree range..He probably likes the grass because of the moisture. He could get mites this way (JUST MY PARANOID OPINION...)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What is your night time temperature of your home? That is what your bird has set its feather volume at and will be comfortable at that temperature.

It is important to remember that the ground temperature at this time of year is commonly colder than the air temperature. So, we are a couple of months before Michigan's ground temperature will be warm enough for your bird to be comfortably rolling in the grass.

FYI: Ensure that you determine whether your home is in the flyover area of the several large Birds of Prey we have in Michigan. I live in the center of several Red Tail Hawks flight training center. Plus, we have two families of America Engles and several Owls. For a year old Red Tail, your bird would have little interest. As we start seeing this years new arrivals, small birds are of interest...

Last edited:
OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
It has to be very gradual. Any shift of 10 degrees or more can cause stress in their systems. There are "too hot" and "too cold" ranges as well, but it's going to depend mostly on species, feather quality,habituation **gradual** and availability to warmth/shade/water etc when it comes to the 60-90 degree range..He probably likes the grass because of the moisture. He could get mites this way (JUST MY PARANOID OPINION...)

That's what I'm worried about. I'm wondering if I put him near the door and just cracked it open slowly over 15 minutes or so if that would help?

I generally take him out in a small cage and put him on the table with an umbrella so he has half shade half sun in the cage.

I do put him in the grass sometimes like I said but I think its pretty safe? I live in a suburban area where other people tend to treat their grass so there isn't anything in the grass. My dogs don't even need flea and tick medication. Do you think its still an issue?

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
What is your night time temperature of your home? That is what your bird has set its feather volume at and will be comfortable at that temperature.

It is important to remember that the ground temperature at this time of year is commonly colder than the air temperature. So, we are a couple of months before Michigan's ground temperature will be warm enough for your bird to be comfortably rolling in the grass.

FYI: Ensure that you determine whether your home is in the flyover area of the several large Birds of Prey we have in Michigan. I live in the center of several Red Tail Hawks flight training center. Plus, we have two families of America Engles and several Owls. For a year old Red Tail, your bird would have little interest. As we start seeing this years new arrivals, small birds are of interest...

My house is generally kept at 70°F constantly. Even if I slowly introduce him like I said in the previous reply (cracking the door near him and slowly opening it for 15 mins) would it still be an issue? I don't think I would take him outside under 65 ish. I don't usually let him in the grass, normally he's in the cage under an umbrella with half shade and half sun.

I keep a careful watch over him, trust me! Plus he's never loose. I'm super paranoid ever since I was a kid and I had my guinea pig out and a hawk started flying near me haha

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
in terms of gradual, think like a degree every week over a long period...that's not to say a bird will die from a less gradual transition, but it's better to be cautious-- you will have to change house temp (slowly ) to do this in the safest way. I am still cautious about mites etc, given that birds get them in the wild and a bird in the grass can get them just as easily..Again-- I am cautious-- some people are less so. Not everyone will agree with me.

FYI- Less extreme temp changes don't kill them right away but do stress their immune systems, so if there is anything they are fighting, it can make that harder to do.

Now, if this is for a very short period of time and the temp difference isn't that huge, then you could be slightly less cautious, but rolling in grass means getting wet and cooler temps. My vet said I could take Noodles out on sunny days when the inside was 70 and outside was 85 (if I was with her, watched her and maybe sprayed her). The point is, coming BACK in after that it always feels quite cool (dry or not ) and so be it 70 to colder or 70 to hotter, it's something to consider.

Gradual= no drafts...a cracked door= drafts

Last edited:

Most Reactions