Parrots and their body language

Calorious

Apr 11, 2020
Singapore
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Name: Climber, he climbs everything :3)
Blue Cinnamon Conure (he looks like a kiwi, so his name is Kiwi :3)
Painted Conure (Name: Rainbow! :3)
Lately, I've been skimming through Google for information on parrots' body language.
I would want to memorise their body language and what it means to recognise how the parrots are performing but I'm finding it quite hard to memorise.
My first question is whether every parrot has the same body language?
Secondly, is there a need to memorise the body languages and how would you memorise?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi there! Some species and families have pretty obvious body language. Amazons in particular have very obvious body language. Others, well not so much and are very subtle in that. Amazons give plenty of warning when they are not in the mood to interact, Cockatoos, well they are all crazy and other than raising their crest feathers don;t give much warning. Also each parrot will be an individual and have all or maybe only some of the warning signs. If you go to our Amazon sub-forum, and read the stickie thread at the top of the page, "Amazon Body language" its written by one of our most experienced Amazon people and is very thorough and clear, in example.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Lately, I've been skimming through Google for information on parrots' body language.
I would want to memorise their body language and what it means to recognise how the parrots are performing but I'm finding it quite hard to memorise.
My first question is whether every parrot has the same body language?
Secondly, is there a need to memorise the body languages and how would you memorise?

No, they do not all have the same body language at all, but generally, some species are fairly easy to read if you know the individual and understand the basics. It isn't something you can memorize without experience... unless it is something super obvious, like an Amazon (they have VERY clear signals). Cockatoos are EXTREMELY difficult because happy, excited and annoyed all can look very similar unless you know the bird SUPER well. A raised crest can mean 10 different things...so can flapping etc..and sometimes they get over-excited and bite due to over-stimulation (not because they are mad or scared, but because they are so excited..and that still will make you bleed if you don't know it's coming).
You memorize by watching others and screwing up. Hopefully, you don't screw up too often (because you don't want to accidentally train your bird to bite by ignoring signals) but watch behavioral training videos and volunteer with birds...also, keep in mind that some old-school parrot people mistreat birds and don't see a problem with it. It is important to stay current in your research.
If you met a random child on the street (and knew nothing about their background), you would have to learn their body language-- same thing...This takes time and while there are some generalities, a lot of it comes down to understanding the basics and then KNOWING a specific bird. Never push---IT IS ALWAYS easy to tell when a bird wants to be touched--- the will not retreat or lunge and will step forward or put their head down..Never initiate contact unless you are sure it is welcome-- do not force it because you will destroy trust.

Last edited:

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Which breed in particular are you looking into?

Its great that you are investigating body language, I read lots on here and also YT videos and i found it invaluable to begin with when I first took in Enzo. I also found it extremely difficult to differentiate between 'feather puffed' happy and 'feather puffed' im going to kill you! to be honest sometimes even now I have to step in to some scenarios just in case an attack occurs, as to me they really are so similar.

I think therefore an initial knowledge of what to look out for, eyes, feathers, sounds and stance, how she walks etc is very important. I think within 6 months I dont really pay much attention to body language with Enzo as its either so obvious after experience or she will just tell me what she wants or doesnt want.

head scratch 'tickle tickle' or bow down
eat or drink, she makes lip smack noises or water sounds
something im doing and she isnt happy 'no!' or simply take a finger in her beak and push it away.
come here i want to show you something 'dad, come here'
lots and lots of similar level of communication so i think she doesnt need to resort to body language as most confrontations or needs are met prior to her getting to that stage, if that makes sense

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts