What Bird?

Aryn

May 27, 2020
I have been trying to decide whether I should get a Green cheek :rainbow1:(Whatever color) or a Cockateil :yellow1:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Conures are louder, may bite more and generally cuddlier.

Cockatiels tend to be quieter (but they can be noisy, too! just not conure noisy...), not quite as cuddly as a conure (being cuddly can be a bad thing!) and they are dusty birds... which may be an issue for anything with asthma or allergies.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Both species are extremely popular and make excellent companions. If you have a nearby rescue or sanctuary, perhaps you can get to know each a bit better and make a decision. There is also the concept of letting the bird "choose you." If torn between the two, might come down to shopping for candidates and selecting the one most attracted to you.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
In either case-, I know we say "cuddly" but you cannot cuddle a bird without sending the wrong impression and triggering hormones, so whatever your decision, no petting anywhere other than the head and nets, no tents/hammocks in the cage and no access to shadowy spaces---these will all create hormonal birds overtime and hormones lead to health and behavior issues.

birdiemama

May 11, 2020
Las Vegas
Parrots
Doobie, a Pineapple Green Cheek Conure baby about 6 weeks old (on May 11, 2020)
I've had both cockatiels and conures; currently have a baby conure. Both of my other birds lived good, long lives and both were very bonded to me. The conure seemed more independent and defiant than the cockatiel. Completely different personalities, but both very responsive to attention and both very interactive. I do think the conures are more 'naughty' though! Good luck. I'm sure whichever bird you decide on will be just perfect!

Most Reactions