Books

Ajo

May 27, 2020
Hi before I even consider getting a cockatiel I would like to do research so if you don't mind could I ask for some recommendations with regards to book thanks

Andy

Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
13 cockatiels 2 sun conures
I have several books covering cockatiels and my all time favorite is called "The complete book of Cockatiels" by Diane Grindol. I have had it for well over a year and still go back and reread parts of it. It has great reading along with excellent photos. Diane dedicated the book to her first cockatiel hen Dacey who lived over 18 years and produced 76 chicks in her lifetime!!!!

OP
A

Ajo

May 27, 2020
Hi thank you for replying to my post and recommending this book I just did a quick search and by the looks of it alot of other people agree with you. If you don't mind how much because I obviously don't know how much different things are compared to 1998 can I ask the reliance of the information in 2020

Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
13 cockatiels 2 sun conures
Well Ajo, it's like this....sadly it is very difficult to find updated contemporary publications on cockatiels. I found this out early on when I too began my search for as much reading material as I could get my hands on. As mentioned, I do have a good selection of books covering these birds and while some are pretty ancient, they ALL pretty much say the same thing. The thing I like about Diane's book is she seems to cover ALL the bases including mutations and genetics. She also includes a number of stories from her own experience starting out with that one hen and going all the way to raising champion show birds! There is one other book that I would recommend to go along with hers. It's titled "Living with a Cockatiel" by Neil Forbes. I believe I got both these books on Amazon and both combined would run you about 30 bucks! You would find a lot of the information from both publications on line but you would have to do A LOT of digging.

Last edited:

Most Reactions