Status
Not open for further replies.

krayman

Aug 8, 2020
Media
Hampton Roads, VA
Parrots
DYH, Red Lored Amazon, Blue Front, Congo, Timneh
I started with Love Birds in 2004 when a friend brought a Love Bird over that no one wanted. In 2006 I took in 6 love birds and a quaker when I was helping rehome some birds due to a death of a friend. A friend of mine passed away in 2005 and he had 12 birds ranging from Love Bird to Macaw. His wife could not care for all of them due to work and income so I took in a few and helped her rehome several other birds. She kept her husbands favorite and still had 6 birds to take care of. I helped her and one parrot, a Red Lored Amazon needed medical attention. I told her I would take her and get her well and then bring her back. Numerous trips to the vet and healthy diet Rosebud was healthy and happy. My friend cried when she saw Rosebud and told me to keep her because I was able to give her the care and time she needed. I rehomed many birds over the past 15 years, taking them in and finding them a home I felt was appropriate for them.

I now have 2 African Greys, a Red Lored Amazon hybrid, a DYH Amazon and a Blue Front Amazon that are my permanent family members.

In addition to my birds, I just took in 3 more that I plan on rehoming. A friend at church was in desperate need of money and could not take care of the birds after his wife passed. I gave him money for medicine and get his vehicle repaired and he asked me to take the parrots. There is Chico, a Red Lored Amazon, Smitty, an Orange Wing Amazon, and Pinocchio, an African Grey. The birds have not been handled in a long time and I am working with them. I have only had them two weeks but Chico is now stepping up and sits with me. Smitty no longer tries to attack me and I can put my hands in the cage but he won't step up. I was told he only likes females. No one has handled the Timneh African Gray but I have been able to pick up Pinocchio 3 time this past week. He no longer bites and plays with my fingers and hands when I touch his beak.

I am in Hampton Roads area of Virginia and I will looking for homes shortly -- before I get too attached to these kids.

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
I want a bird. If you read my description, you will see i am 71 now, married and retired on Social Security. I work for my rent expense and have little money left over; so I am not looking to buy or finance a re=home fee. I am making a good home available to a bird and will make provisions for his placement when I pass on. I will see to it that the bird has a proper diet, routine, training and socialization; in the meantime. Within a limited distance i will meet the giver or come all the way for a pick up. Am willing to furnish phone number for further conversation. URS jh

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Fernando: Greenwing Macaw
Hey, have you checked out any local rescues? I ask because I work at a parrot rescue in Virginia.

Last edited:

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Yes and I just am not up to paying fee's or proving I am not a flipper or going into long drawn out proving any of that. I get so tired of having to "PROVE" myself. Sorry for the aattitude. jh

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your permanent + transient flock, deep respect for rescue work. Truly a Bird Whisperer!!

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Fernando: Greenwing Macaw
Yes and I just am not up to paying fee's or proving I am not a flipper or going into long drawn out proving any of that. I get so tired of having to "PROVE" myself. Sorry for the aattitude. jh

I was mainly referring to krayman's post. I can understand your frustrations though as I am going through the process myself with Fernando. But unfortunately there are those who only see birds as a means of making money and ruin it for everyone else.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Krayman, I very much hope you might be able to work something out with 1oldparroter to perhaps take one of your rescues.

However, you do not yet have enough posts to message him directly.

What you will want to do is contact one of the Mods (their names are all in purple, like Scott above) and they can help you communicate.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I wish you luck at finding your latest rescues a good home...we need more people like you in the parrot world!

I do want to mention that reputable rescues ask so many questions because they want to make sure that their birds go to a good home. They also ask for a rehoming fee because it is a small drop in the bucket to what they spend on the birds in their care, and enables them to take in more. I adopted all my birds from either a rescue or from private people and was happy to answer any questions they had. So please feel free to ask the questions of anyone interested so that you feel comfortable with them taking in your birds.

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
Some people irk me no end. I am an older person, with a lot of self pride. "I" come on here and make an HONEST offer to rehome a bird and expect to be asked if I am going to make a bird happy. Trust is something I EXPECT from other people, poor manners is not. If you think i AM an abuser, say so. If not, at least exercise a few manner's and a little tact; contact a MODERATOR AND ASK FOR MY PHONE NUMBER. I will gladly speak to anyone and answer any query. There are at least 4 moderator's on this one post. Not ALL of them are completely tactful either;but most are. One member has come to know me enough that they PM'd me that I might respond to this thread. A LOT of people have heard me go off about being considered a "FLIPPER" out of hand. i think it's something a sane person SHOULD consider and ask things to assure themselves. TACKFULLY, IN PERSON OR AT LEAST ON THE PHONE. Here and in a written message, to pointedly make such a distinction; to me, is POOR Manners. jh

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Some people irk me no end. I am an older person, with a lot of self pride. "I" come on here and make an HONEST offer to rehome a bird and expect to be asked if I am going to make a bird happy. Trust is something I EXPECT from other people, poor manners is not. If you think i AM an abuser, say so. If not, at least exercise a few manner's and a little tact; contact a MODERATOR AND ASK FOR MY PHONE NUMBER. I will gladly speak to anyone and answer any query. There are at least 4 moderator's on this one post. Not ALL of them are completely tactful either;but most are. One member has come to know me enough that they PM'd me that I might respond to this thread. A LOT of people have heard me go off about being considered a "FLIPPER" out of hand. i think it's something a sane person SHOULD consider and ask things to assure themselves. TACKFULLY, IN PERSON OR AT LEAST ON THE PHONE. Here and in a written message, to pointedly make such a distinction; to me, is POOR Manners. jh

May I ask who you are talking to here? I see no one calling you an abuser nor showing poor manners. Trust is earned on both sides.

If you have an issue, please send it via PM to a Moderator so this thread can stay on topic.

Last edited:

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I wasn't going to reply to this, however it was thim the OM himself who brought up the subject. I don't blame him as he was trying to recoup monies that he expended to rescue the last three birds. As I stated, we all need to watch out for people of not such good character. BUT, we can do it without being so blunt and disrespectful; as a matter of course. jh

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi Krayman, and welcome. I really admire folks like you who selflessly help both parrots and people when in need. I've also helped out fellow members when financial issues become too much, so i respect anyone who does like wise. Those of us who are in good position to help out really should if they can.

Now to your current situation, 1oldparroter has been with us since Nov '19, and has shown that he is both familiar with the care of parrots and has good intentions in seeking a parrot. He is not a flipper, in my opinion, but a lonely older man with limited budget and I believe he would make a good home for any parrot he gets. My opinion.
He gets a bit cranky (LOL) but us older guys have a lot of pride!

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
THANK YOU. I don't believe anyone has vouched for me quite so directly. Yes some lend me their support and backing, in a quieter way; but not so directly. I too thank ALL people that help out birds in need, even rescuers that put their own money on the line and just want to get it back. Especially if they have offered me a chance to also help. I seldom have the extra but will if I can.
Again,thank you for speaking up for me and one day I hope I get the chance to give a bird a good home. jh

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
Haven't heard a reply as to the birds rehome. I understood you wanted to recoup the money you helped your friend with. Is that so and is a cage a requirement? I can at least travel that far. "I" can't afford a rehome fee besides, so am seeking clarification and thanking you for helping the birds. jh

OP
krayman

krayman

Aug 8, 2020
Media
Hampton Roads, VA
Parrots
I may be willing to let you home one of these rescues. I think Smitty and Pinochio are both ready for homes but they need someone who can train them to step up. How close are you to the Hampton Roads area in Virginia? Send me a message and we can talk. I am over 60 myself.

Smitty, the Orange wing Amazon is no longer biting but will not step up. Pretty sure Smitty is a female because my DYH Amazon goes gaga around and gets very excited. He does not like male birds so I am pretty sure Smitty is female. Smitty now loves head scratches but she still won't step up. She loves to come out and sit on her cage.

Pinochio seems to love people now. He will step up at times but is very nervous until he is sitting on my hand for a few minutes while I talk to him. He is now super friendly and no longer tries to bite.

OP
krayman

krayman

Aug 8, 2020
Media
Hampton Roads, VA
Parrots
Sorry I haven't been on here and replying to posts. I have been extremely busy with work and working on the house. The 3 birds I rescued are doing fine but with my own flock of 5, taking care of 8 is a lot of work. All three rescues are doing well now that they are on a good diet and get attention. I am starting to look for homes for Smitty (Orange Wing Amazon) and Pinochio (African Grey).

I joined the forum because I did not want to rehome these through Craigslist. I used to rehome through CL years ago when I was taking in birds, but too many flippers and scammers on CL now.

OP
krayman

krayman

Aug 8, 2020
Media
Hampton Roads, VA
Parrots
1oldparroter

Tried to send you a private msg with my contact info, but I have not been on the forum long enough and do not have the required 20 posts to send msg.

Please send me a msg and we can get in touch. I am over 60 myself so age is not important. I saw you were willing to travel to Virginia and if you can provide proper care, diet and attention -- that's what counts.

OP
krayman

krayman

Aug 8, 2020
Media
Hampton Roads, VA
Parrots
NandyNando

Yes, I know about the Parrot Rescues but finding a home where they get one on one attention is my preference. I am looking to find homes.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
I definitely would recommend 1oldparroter be a good candidate for a parrot companion. He has knowledge and time to properly take care of one from reading his other posts over the year he been on here. He not no flipper and truly knows what he getting himself into. Lack of funds is not a problem for some as some are very resourceful in getting what needed.

CL and Facebook is loaded with pet flippers and scammers unfortunately. I would rather see birds get rehomed to someone that understands parrots and have the time more important to adopt one, then someone buying one on impulse as they think they are cute and no to little knowledge on how to properly care for one. Worked at many rescues over the years and number one reason birds get neglected and rehomed as most people fail to realize what involved and amount attention needed to properly care for a parrot as they think they are like domesticated pets, or get them for decoration mostly on impulse.

To get in contact with him I would just message a moderator with a phone number to make arrangements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts