Water silo

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Water silos are governed by government regulation and their scheduled clearing, what chemicals can be used and rising procedures are all strictly followed for the silo to receive its yearly approval documentation.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
put a filter on your tap or use bottled water--filtered works better in some places than others, but not everything is cleaned by a filter, so it depends on your water quality etc

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Cleaning those type of water dispensers is difficult because not only the large water holding tube ( the 'silo') has to be clean but the delivery tube and the ball valve have to be equally clean. Its easy for bacteria to thrive in those. Immersion in boiling water for a few minutes with a bit of vinegar in the water might do it. Also test tube cleaning brushes to get any lime scale or build up in both the tube and the silo. Plastic ones are rubbish and should be tossed into the bin.

One of my parrots used to poop in his water, so we migrated his water bowl to the top of the cage with just enough clearance from the top of the cage so he could get to the water, but not enough to sit on the lip of the bowl, stopped that habit of pooping in the bowl.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I use stainless bowls because I don't like those (due to the cleaning issue and because they can clog without people's knowledge).
You could try a baby bottle brush and hot water. If you boil plastic enough, it will breakdown a bit and can leech into things, so just consider that boiling heat and plastic aren't always the best long-term. Can you reposition the bowl in such a way that it is not getting pooped on? OR can you find a fully stainless water dispenser that would be safer to boil repeatedly?

You don't want to boil much vinegar around birds, as it can be a problem, but a tablespoon or so, when mixed with a decent amount of water is okay...Boiling lots of vinegar can harm them..like, when people pickle things, run it through coffee pots or dishwashers (straight or in higher concentrations)-- this is generally when it becomes a problem.

Last edited:
OP
S
May 17, 2020
It's one like the pic I posted below could I use a new unused toothbrush to clean it with soap and water.

Attachments

• 20200926_180630.jpg
    20200926_180630.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 50

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
It's one like the pic I posted below could I use a new unused toothbrush to clean it with soap and water.

yeah-- as long as you are super thorough and use a soap like Dawn that you rinse really well

Most Reactions