Egg food

May 17, 2020
So my budgies dont really like pellets and the only pellets that i can afford her are colourful and have sugars but then I found out about this egg food I bought it and my birds like it and its fortified with all these vitamins including vitamin D. I bought it because my birds are moulting well 2 of the budgies and they needed the extra protein it says you can give it 2 times a week when they are not moulting or need to breed or everyday day if they are moulting or breeding.
Is this a good way to give vitamins if birds don't eat pellets and there are not readily available.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With the vast number of questions you have asked and the excellent advice provided; one would believe that base would have covered the current question(s).

Which begs the question; since you are already feeding it, can't afford anything different, why ask???

OP
S
May 17, 2020
With the vast number of questions you have asked and the excellent advice provided; one would believe that base would have covered the current question(s).

Which begs the question; since you are already feeding it, can't afford anything different, why ask???

Sorry if my questions are annoying you I meant to ask is this good to give once or twice a week.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Sorry if my questions are annoying you I meant to ask is this good to give once or twice a week.

Questions do not annoy me as I tend to respond based on passing information to the unintended reader that visit the Forum (i.e. non-members).

Suppling supplements is better as part of the dry food diet as there is a much higher likelihood of the parrot in fact eating it. That all said, a well-balanced diet is always better than guessing at whether supplements are needed or not.

My point remains the same.

KitKatPlus

Sep 19, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Parrots
Caesar the tiel (foster)
If a bird is getting a healthy diet, they will have no need for extra supplements (unless there is a medical condition). Yes, I would agree that they need more protein and calcium during molt, but that can be achieved through natural versions.

You didn't clearly say if your birds will eat fresh veggies or fresh food in general. You can give protein and calcium through a variety of veggies (or even just an actual hard boiled egg!). Budgie diet conversion can be hard but necessary, but sometimes the best we can do is to get them over to a natural seed mix.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV8jBQUupyU"]Make Your Own Seed Mix for Small Parrots | (Sharing My Recipe!) - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a good video to help :)

Edit: I will add that it is a little alarming that that is the only thing you can afford. That's okay, it just makes me remember that birds are expensive animals - toys, cage, food, vet bills, and more. The video also includes ways to use the seed mix to get the birds to start eating the fresh food!

I don't think feeding the egg food would be harmful, but it's not ideal compared to fresh foods. Plus, if I understood the website correctly, it's only supposed to encompass 1/4 of your bird's daily food during breeding and molting.

Last edited:
OP
S
May 17, 2020
If a bird is getting a healthy diet, they will have no need for extra supplements (unless there is a medical condition). Yes, I would agree that they need more protein and calcium during molt, but that can be achieved through natural versions.

You didn't clearly say if your birds will eat fresh veggies or fresh food in general. You can give protein and calcium through a variety of veggies (or even just an actual hard boiled egg!). Budgie diet conversion can be hard but necessary, but sometimes the best we can do is to get them over to a natural seed mix.

Make Your Own Seed Mix for Small Parrots | (Sharing My Recipe!) - YouTube

Here's a good video to help :)
Thanks for the vedio and advice they have access to seeds and water all day and for 2 to 3 hours everyday they get broccoli, carrot, romaine lettuce pepper and the eggfood. You are correct in the fact that I'm giving it because they are moulting.

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
If you have an access to normal seeds, or grass seeds for birds, prefer them. I think that pellets my charge the kidney, because they would require budgies have to drink more, but maybe they will not. many of them have probably pretty high amount of calcium. Go to soak or sprout seeds for them, grass seeds, canary seeds, millet sprays. give them dandelions or chickweeds if possible. You can offer carrots, bee pollen, brewings yeasts, or order korvimin vitamine from Germany ( vogelbrunnen.de store ).

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I give the Higgins Egg Food to my birdies. Two budgies and one sun conure. I sprinkle it onto their food dishes now and then. I do NOT add any water. The benefit of the "egg food" in the packets is two-fold.

First, I give them only a small amount. I mean, even if I cook an egg, one whole boiled egg would be WAY WAY too much for them and most of it would spoil. SO the dried egg food is just great.

Second benefit: it is DRY. Definitely I do not add water. So I sprinkle it onto their dry food and can just change out that dish whenever I Normally would. IF I were to Wet the eggfood, then I would need to take it out again pretty quickly, just like a fresh egg, because egg can spoil so quickly.

SO - to summarize my opinion: YES small quantities of eggfood can be really good. (They won't eat it if they don't want it.) And, NO, don't wet it.

This is the one I use. Comes in small packet, which is all that is needed. :)

ProteinEggFoodRedFull.jpg

(If you notice, this packet says "Red Factor." My Sunny obviously is Not a Canary, and I don't know if there is such a thing as a Red-Factor Sun Conure, but IF they exist, then she is one. So I choose this packet instead of the plain one. Sunny & the Budgies all seem to like it. I sprinkle tiny portions, and they eat even more-tinier portions.)

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions