Advice needed!

Megsm

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Xena, conure
Corky, amazon
Grover, amazon
Hey everyone, I posted a couple weeks ago about the two amazons we took in, Corky and Grover. I am hoping someone with more experience than myself may have some suggestions for us going forward. Corky is doing great, she is warming up to my hubby and actually allowed him to move her for the first time the other day. She asks me to pick her up every time I come in the room now, and she seems very happy to have some human contact and very determined I will do as she asks (to the point she will climb off her cage and run over to me to be picked up if I'm not fast enough). The problem is that Grover now pretty much hates me being anywhere around his friend or now near the cage. He tries very hard to bite when I even attempt to change out water or food dishes. Sometimes he will lash out at Corky for trying to come closer to me, use his body to block her from me, and on one recent occasion climbed off the cage when she did to chase me away (can't lie, it worked and I quickly left the room for fear of losing a toe to a very angry amazon!).
I would love to give Corky all the attention she obviously wants but I'm worried how it will affect what little relationship I have with Grover, and sometimes I have no chance because of his behaviour. Should we be considering separating them when we find another cage or will that make things worse? Grover is very bonded/possessive but Corky does not seem to feel the same way, I think she would be OK with it but Grover will not be. I know we have only had them a couple weeks and everything will take a lot of time but Grovers reaction to me has gotten much worse very quickly. Any advice or suggestions from anyone else who has dealt with this would be greatly appreciated!!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I would definitely try separating them into separate cages as it sounds like he’s being very protective of her.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hey everyone, I posted a couple weeks ago about the two amazons we took in, Corky and Grover. I am hoping someone with more experience than myself may have some suggestions for us going forward. Corky is doing great, she is warming up to my hubby and actually allowed him to move her for the first time the other day. She asks me to pick her up every time I come in the room now, and she seems very happy to have some human contact and very determined I will do as she asks (to the point she will climb off her cage and run over to me to be picked up if I'm not fast enough). The problem is that Grover now pretty much hates me being anywhere around his friend or now near the cage. He tries very hard to bite when I even attempt to change out water or food dishes. Sometimes he will lash out at Corky for trying to come closer to me, use his body to block her from me, and on one recent occasion climbed off the cage when she did to chase me away (can't lie, it worked and I quickly left the room for fear of losing a toe to a very angry amazon!).
I would love to give Corky all the attention she obviously wants but I'm worried how it will affect what little relationship I have with Grover, and sometimes I have no chance because of his behaviour. Should we be considering separating them when we find another cage or will that make things worse? Grover is very bonded/possessive but Corky does not seem to feel the same way, I think she would be OK with it but Grover will not be. I know we have only had them a couple weeks and everything will take a lot of time but Grovers reaction to me has gotten much worse very quickly. Any advice or suggestions from anyone else who has dealt with this would be greatly appreciated!!
I was going to suggest a separation but then I read that it's only been a few weeks. Be patient. Watch their behaviours cos they may still change. Use treats to try and bribe Grover into allowing you to play with it and Corcky.
Good luck

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Can you keep Grover in the cage when you handle and spend time with Corky?

I had a bonded pair of amazons for years that had a similar relationship though perhaps not as extreme.
Plumas (male, wild and unfriendly)
Pacho (female, friendly).
The difference was Plumas was truly wild, wild caught and wanted nothing to do with people.
So he just would not attack, only defend himself and defend his mate Pacho.
After handling and spending time with Patcho when I put her back in her cage Plumas would ..... not attack, not really but lunge at her a few times to let her know he was upset by her behavior.
I just made sure when putting Pacho back not to put her too close to Plumas.

Separate cages may be an option but I would keep the cages as close to each other as possible.
They are use to each others company .

Most Reactions

Latest posts