Aggressive Conure Help

SenseiVertebrae

Aug 15, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple Cheek Conure
Cockatiel
Hi All,

I have read a few posts on the forums and hope there is some reassurance we can find in this wonderful community. In excitement I bought a pineapple cheek conure (possibly female, sex results incoming this week) and it bonded to me (male) immediately. Unfortunately, when my wife came home from her trip a day later, the 9-month old conure attacked her every time she tried to handle it. My wife’s hand looks like a swarm of mosquitos attacked it. The plan we devised was that for the time being I will not visit her and only have my wife interact with her, open her cage, change her food, and try to train her. It seems the frequency of biting is decreasing, and at night when the lights are low she snuggles with my wife in her fluffy robe or in her hair. We are on day 4 of having her and day 2 of me not interacting/visiting with her at all.

My question is how is has anyone else been able to overcome this spell of aggression with their conures? Is it hormones?

I bought this little bean for both my wife and I, and acknowledge my error in getting it without her. I’m just wondering if this behaviour is normal and how long it will take to pass, or what we can do to ensure better results. Thanks all for taking the time to read our post!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
they can come around......you wife should have treats on her at all times.....at nine months it's not that hormonal but they can tell the difference between our sexes. Having treats and her pandering the bird will offset that. if anything she gets to give all treats.

Rose77

Aug 19, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure, ring neck parakeet, budgerigar, cockatiel
Hi All,

I have read a few posts on the forums and hope there is some reassurance we can find in this wonderful community. In excitement I bought a pineapple cheek conure (possibly female, sex results incoming this week) and it bonded to me (male) immediately. Unfortunately, when my wife came home from her trip a day later, the 9-month old conure attacked her every time she tried to handle it. My wife’s hand looks like a swarm of mosquitos attacked it. The plan we devised was that for the time being I will not visit her and only have my wife interact with her, open her cage, change her food, and try to train her. It seems the frequency of biting is decreasing, and at night when the lights are low she snuggles with my wife in her fluffy robe or in her hair. We are on day 4 of having her and day 2 of me not interacting/visiting with her at all.

My question is how is has anyone else been able to overcome this spell of aggression with their conures? Is it hormones?

I bought this little bean for both my wife and I, and acknowledge my error in getting it without her. I’m just wondering if this behaviour is normal and how long it will take to pass, or what we can do to ensure better results. Thanks all for taking the time to read our post!
Hello, my conure, Rio, is definitely a one man (in my case woman!) Bird. No one else in the house is safe especially my partner. Rio will attack and bite anyone who comes in the room and if caged will shout with much annoyance and jealousy. I have heard conures don't like to share there bonded human unfortunately . Rose

Most Reactions

Latest posts