Alexander Parrot Rescue 3 Years Old

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
Senegal, Red Bellied Parrot.
We recued Alex a month ago and have brought him into our family. He is a three year old red bellied parrot and was not treated very well. Based on his actions he must not of had very many toys, very good food or attention. He also must of been mistreated by a human male. For the first couple of weeks he just hid in the corner of his cage and was very timid. He was introduced to toys, vegetables, fruits and his now favorite Almonds/strawberries. He has always been friendly with my wife but would have nothing to do with me. Around the third week he started coming out of his cage and would spend time on his play stand but if anyone came near he would run into his cage. Today he started staying out of his cage and lets us get allot closer to him. He is still timid and will attempt to bite me and will not let anyone handle him. He has drawn blood several times. I believe this is a new experience for him. We ordered a set of bite proof gloves and are going to try to get him to realize that we are his friends and just want to spend time with him.
My main concern is to get him to a vet so he can be checked out but without letting us handle him that is not going to happen. I am posting this incase anyone has had a similar experience or is going through the same thing. We will be very patient with him.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
New homes are always a stressful time for any Parrot, especially if there has been any abuse, either physical or vocal, as you are starting from a negative position. Only good things happen when Humans are around is a good place to start and leave the gloves in the bag as it is highly likely that someone has used them in the past and everything moves to an even greater minus place.

I cannot stress enough that "only good things happen when Humans are around!" Yes, you will get bitten and yes, it will hurt. But with each bit, you will find you are paying more attention as to what your Parrot is doing prior to the bit and either stop doing that or know that you are about to be bitten and move back just a tiny bit. For me, I move in closer, but I have been doing this for a long while.

Move forward at the pace of your Parrot. But never stop moving forward!

The Vet visit should have been when you were bring your Parrot home! At this point, you have several major steps to cover before a Vet visit. Step-up, moving around with him on your hand. Step into the travel cage, go for a short trip and home again.

Target having your Parrot at the center of your activities! The more he sees that your not the source of things to be fearful of, but joy, happiness, good food and comfort.

OP
B

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
He is in my home office with our Senegal. I guess we are kind of spoiled since our Senegal is very friendly and likes everyone. We will continue to work with him but it is becoming more obvious every day that he has never been held or handled. I will keep this thread going on his progress. Thanks again.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
He is in my home office with our Senegal. I guess we are kind of spoiled since our Senegal is very friendly and likes everyone. We will continue to work with him but it is becoming more obvious every day that he has never been held or handled. I will keep this thread going on his progress. Thanks again.
Not surprised, more common than most Humans realize.
With your Senegal in the same area is great because your new guy gets to see that Humans are kind of neat to be around.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
A good avian vet can handle a feisty bird. My vet uses a towel to examine the Rickeybird. Our vet also handles the raptors at the loal zoo, so he isn't afraid of an ill-mannered conure! I just get the Rb TO THE VET in his travel crate, and the vet takes it from there.
Need a list?
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

Welcome! Glad to have you here.

OP
B

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
Thank you for the info. We have a vet that we like for our Senegal. Once we can get him out of his cage without scarring him half to death we will get him down there.

OP
B

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
We have come to the conclusion that Alex has never been around people very much. He gets so excited when he gets out of his cage he starts whistling, talking and running around on his play stand but as soon as someone tries to get close he runs into his cage. He will come out for my wife if we tempt him with a Almond or a carrot but still will not step up on our arm. He snaps at us so we have started wrapping a towel under the sleeve so he will not draw blood. He seems to be coming around but very slowly which is fine, we have all the time he needs.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I think thats one of the biggest mistakes people make with parrots. Let him progress at his own pace, and not the pace of your expectations. Parrots rate of acceptance to change is GLACIAL when compared to our quick monkey-brains. Alex does seem like he is making some progress!

OP
B

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
We had a set back yesterday. He had been letting me get close to him and even give him Almonds from my hand for several days. Last night I offered him an Almond and he bit me pretty good. Down to the bone on my finger. He seems more calm today but there was no indication that he was going to be aggressive. For the next several days I will not trust him as much and be allot more careful with him. Wish I knew what the previous people had done to him and why they gave him up.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
We had a set back yesterday. He had been letting me get close to him and even give him Almonds from my hand for several days. Last night I offered him an Almond and he bit me pretty good. Down to the bone on my finger. He seems more calm today but there was no indication that he was going to be aggressive. For the next several days I will not trust him as much and be allot more careful with him. Wish I knew what the previous people had done to him and why they gave him up.
I’m so sorry this happened and I know it can be upsetting especially after feeling like you’ve made progress. I learned with my Quaker parrot that a bite isn’t just about the moment. I’ve had to learn to gauge his mood all day and determine if he is in a place where he wants to interact or not. So it may not be something that happened just before the bite that actually caused him to bite me but his overall mood for the day, or even the fact that I’m wearing a shirt that he doesn’t like! What I’m trying to say is, the best way I have found to prevent bites is to study your bird’s body language all day, not just when you go to interact with them. It takes time to get to know the bird and learn their cues, but in time you will learn to read them well and your relationship will be so much better. Hang in there ❤️

OP
B

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
Thanks for the response. Who ever had him before had a male that must of done something really bad to him. He is fine with my wife but continues to run from me. I will give him all the time he needs. Thanks again. He is out of his cage on his play stand with his wings forward really excited running in circles and really happy right now. He is cute.

Most Reactions

Latest posts