Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Good to hear Craig. I’m glad Mango has improved. Crossing fingers that they eventually find the root cause of the symptoms, and that it’s not disease after all. Hearing about his breeder makes my blood boil. Unfortunately lots of irresponsible animal breeders out there.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Thank you. I haven't been here for a while. So, I apologize for not knowing, did Bixby survive?

They did an xray and showed only liver enlargement. Then they admitted him to the hospital. Gave him intravenous fluids and meds.

He came home 2 days later. Was improving, than down he went again. That's when he showed elevated kidney, and very high white blood cell levels and they said it was likely clymidia and began treating for that. They said elevated kidney values are a sign of inflammation. They didn't feel another xray was warranted at this time.

Brought him back for a checkup Saturday and said everything is improving, a side from his kidney values. They remain the same. I'm still waiting for Diamondback to fill and send his script. Gonna call them again today.

They did tell me if it is ABV, his life will be shortened, but once under control, it is manageable. No cure available, he may live 1yr or 25yr. They said once managed he isn't in pain.

Droppings were bright green, no undigested food. Lots of water/mucus consistancy. Coordination seems fine, sleeps on one leg. In the past, about 1yr or so, he fell off his perch to the bottom of his cage while sleeping. But climbed back up, checked him he seemed fine. Does feather mutilate, which he has done 3yrs. Which could be a sign of liver disease as well. Can make skin itchy they said. Been trying everything for the past few years to figure out why he's doing this. Since he has been medicated, have not seen excessive itching, preening. But he's not "himself " yet either. Not vocal at all. Used to talk ALL the time, now not a word. He will whistle when in the shower, just not so much as before.

He weighed the same this morning as yesterday, been feeding him constantly. His appetite is about how it was before hand. ABSOLUTELY hates having to force meds down him, tears me up having him run from me, refusing to step up. But, he still will eventually give in. Poor guy doesn't know why I keep tormenting him with syringes.
He won't touch his favorite food if he detects meds on it.

No. Unfortunately Bixby did not survive. He was born with the disease (vertical transmission, parent to child, as you'd mentioned earlier) and it went active while he was still in his developmental stages. Thing is, my vet at the time missed it until it was too late. I only found out from the necropsy. So please don't take what happened to Bixby as a bad sign for Mango. For one, it may not be PDD/ABV. And second, you're actively checking into the possibility now, while he's still alive and fighting. That means he has a fighting chance.

Btw, even if he were to test positive for ABV does not mean for certain that is the problem with which he is dealing. There are somewhere between 7 and 9 strains of ABV, only two of which are capable of being catalyzed into full blown PDD. The rest have no effect on the health of your bird, yet the test for ABV is incapable of distinguishing between the strains. And as if that fact, combined with the number of false negatives this test has been known to give off, didn't make the results dicey enough, turns out a startlingly large percentage of the pet avian population actually has one of the 7 or 9 strains of ABV. Maddening.

And yes, if it is PDD (once clinical, it is no longer ABV. Unfortunately, no one has discovered the catalyst that triggers the ABV to become PDD) it can be managed... so long as treatment begins early enough.

Maintaining his weight is a good thing. And if his appetite has returned, you're doing the right thing getting as much into him as you can. As for the medicine, have you tried giving it to him with peanut butter? I've given Maya medicine mixed in with a small glob of peanut butter and she took to it like a fiend! Used to put the glob on a teaspoon, mix in little enough medication so that it couldn't be tasted over the PB, and then gave it to her like a treat right before her next meal when she was at her hungriest. Made all the difference in the world. Might be worth a try with Mango.

OP
Mango121913

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
My condolences for Bixby.
I always thought peanut butter had a chance of harboring mold spores?

OP
Mango121913

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Here's a look at him tonight

Attachments

• 15228000249285081089860320143194.jpg
    15228000249285081089860320143194.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 112
OP
Mango121913

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Lol he wanted a close up!

&apparently upside down

Attachments

• 15228002769346553717430260907607.jpg
    15228002769346553717430260907607.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 133

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
My condolences for Bixby.
I always thought peanut butter had a chance of harboring mold spores?

Thanks. I appreciate that.

As for the mold spores, specifically the aflatoxin that can lead to aspergillosis, you're thinking of peanuts. Not peanut butter. Give it a shot. My heart goes out to you and Mango. Having to force him with the meds on top of everything else is heartbreaking, so I really hope that this helps. Maya is trained to accept meds from the syringe, but once she tired of it she was done. But peanut butter saved the day. I'd have forced her if I had to, but I'm glad it wasn't necessary.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Anytime. Let me know how it goes.

OP
Mango121913

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Well....he doesn't like how it sticks to his mandible. He shakes it off. Then walked away growling at me. Little brat. Gonna try popcorn tonight. Wish me luck! Lol.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
That's okay. Let's keep throwing ideas at the wall and see what sticks. You can also try some cooked, mushy sweet potato. Or perhaps a little in some oatmeal?

Btw, Maya used to detest bananas for the same reason, but eventually got used to it and now loves them. All I did was give her smaller portions at a time, first. So perhaps if you try multiple smaller doses of the meds in smaller gobs of PB? Small enough that less gets on his beak?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Lol he wanted a close up!

&apparently upside down

OMG! That FACE!! Those Ekkie faces get me every time!!

I have been battling GOUT for many years. After my Doc finally figured it out ( gout usually effects the joint<s> in your feet/toes. Mine was either the left KNEE or hand :eek: The inflammation was sooooo severe,my brother had to take me to the emergency room on more than one occasion,tears of extreme pain where literally pouring down my face.
The inflammation med that I was given was a steroid "Predizone",which is NOT exactly good for ones body,if taken too much,but within minutes I could see the swelling going down and the pain miraculously disappeared within ten minutes :)
MY PCP prescribed ALLOPURINOL and I have NOT had an attack in about twenty years.
My Doc was stumped however,as gout is caused by elevated uric acid,and mine always tested out to be in safe limits.

My heart hurts for poor Mango (and YOU!)- Prayers go out to both of you.

Jim

Most Reactions