Aloe Detox For Parrots with Elevated Liver Values

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I used the same stuff...

And I just got as much into pecker as I could. I had a little treat cup that I mixed 50%-50% apple juice to aloe detox. So it was significantly more than a spoonful... and I gave that to her 3-4 times per day. (I kept the 50% mixture in the treat cup in the fridge. Tried to get her to drink the whole thing over the course of the day.)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Do you or can you estimate the size of the treat cup? Also, did you use apple juice you purchased like Ocean Spray brand apple juice or did you squeeze it yourself? I bought fresh mangos and have been squeezing them myself to give her juice. I'll use whatever is good for her to get the aloe detox into her. Over the weekend I've been finely dicing aloe meat from my kitchen plant into her to get a head start on aloe into her. Thanks!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
NAH. I used bottled juice.

The treat cup was a normal ceramic parrot food/water bowl medium parrot sized, filled about half full.

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
I put a few cc's in my birds water once a week or every other week.... they drink it... i dont know if it is doing anything but i hope so :) I had a bird on antibiotics when i started it.... he made a very very fast recovery and started gaining weight right away.. it was either the antibiotics or the aloe... lol...

ziggysmom

Apr 16, 2015
Goldrush Country, California
Parrots
Cockatoo, Senegal,Conure
woa, I NEVER expected so many responses :) You guys are fantastic WE will definitely try ALoe Detox for our baby. At this point we will do what it takes to help Zig. Thanks sooo much everyone!
Liz(Ziggys deperate mom and dad)

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
I just received my order of Aloe Detox by Lilly of the Valley. I could not find the Naturade detox. I started administering using a teaspoon. Venus associates good stuff in a teaspoon so I put about a half a teaspoon of detox in the spoon. She consumed about half of it so she got 1/4th a teaspoon of aloe detox inside herself. That is much more than I expected her to consume. It has a lite, minty smell to it, it's pleasant. I placed the remaining amount in the spoon into her water. I do have a concern wasting the detox mixture in her water. I change her water three times a day so I am reducing the volume of water because of this. I give her 1/2 cup of fresh water three times a day. If I give her 1 teaspoon of aloe detox with her water and reduce it to 1/4 cup water, I have to figure out the ratio. Bottomline I know that she will not get a full teaspoon.

My question, does anyone know of or have a recommended minimum dosage of the aloe detox to be given per day? I am logging my administration to track it. Thanks!

The amount she consumed from the spoon is sufficient. One week of that then once a week. Might want to include Black Tea ( decaf)- as it is a great blood purifier. Highly recommended for birds as well as humans. Helps with both liver and kidney purification and detox.

bonesamon1

Jul 12, 2013
Mid South
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
I finally today got Bean to start drinking the Aloe detox mixed 50/50 with O.J., after several no go's with apple, and a few others. Is pure O.J. mixed with the Aloe Detox O.K.?

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I finally today got Bean to start drinking the Aloe detox mixed 50/50 with O.J., after several no go's with apple, and a few others. Is pure O.J. mixed with the Aloe Detox O.K.?

Yes. Any juice will work.

bonesamon1

Jul 12, 2013
Mid South
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
WOOW!!! I gave Bean 2 TABLESPOONS 2 TIMES TODAY, in his treat cup, and he drank both cups mixed with the O.J. almost completely, did I give him too much?? After reading the above posts, and seeing teaspoons, less frequently, Im worried! I swore I saw somewhere get as much into him as you can for FLD. Can someone clarify the proper dosage. Thanks.

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
WOOW!!! I gave Bean 2 TABLESPOONS 2 TIMES TODAY, in his treat cup, and he drank both cups mixed with the O.J. almost completely, did I give him too much?? After reading the above posts, and seeing teaspoons, less frequently, Im worried! I swore I saw somewhere get as much into him as you can for FLD. Can someone clarify the proper dosage. Thanks.

I wouldn't really worry too much about over dosing. I used to give my Green Cheek loads (cap fulls of it, daily) without diluting it with anything and I had no idea what dosage to give her either.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
NAH. I used bottled juice.

The treat cup was a normal ceramic parrot food/water bowl medium parrot sized, filled about half full.

Same thing I do, just 100% juice, mine like the new V-8 "greens" drink which I put aloe in that. They dink from a cup...they have a favorite cup I use and all come running when I get the cup out.

bonesamon1

Jul 12, 2013
Mid South
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
So no overdose? Or at least at reasonable doses. 2-4 tablespoons in a 24 hour period has never hurt anyone that you know of? Also, I noticed this has milk thistle in, and his vet has him on a compound that he makes that has milk thistle in it, has anyone ever heard of too much milk thistle?

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So no overdose? Or at least at reasonable doses. 2-4 tablespoons in a 24 hour period has never hurt anyone that you know of? Also, I noticed this has milk thistle in, and his vet has him on a compound that he makes that has milk thistle in it, has anyone ever heard of too much milk thistle?

NO, IT'S NOT TOXIC, SO IT'S NOT REALLY POSSIBLE TO OVERDOSE THEM ON IT...

Carolyn's eckie was getting as much as she could possibly get into her. I was doing the same with Pecker... my BFA. Worst possible side effect outcome is watery poo... which is not harmful.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots

Birdman said it best....it's not toxic, it's all natural, and common safe ingredients. It's practically unheard of that a bird would over dose or have toxic affect from it. It's a very healthy way of keeping your bird tip top shape.

Most Reactions

Latest posts