Am I a bad bird owner? Do I deserve another bird ever?

astluna

Oct 15, 2023
Parrots
Chloe - macaw
Walter - macaw
Apple - amazon
I'm so ashamed of myself. I'm so guilty for what I've done. I'm considering quitting my bird dream job because I dont think I deserve to work there.

Im an underage female, and my conure died this morning.

I loved to sleep with my bird snuggling me, it helped me sleep and he always wanted to (I couldnt get him off if I tried). I was aware of the numerous stories of conures ending up dead from this, but i thought if i were careful it wouldnt happen. I also thought since the other day I rolled over on him and he squaked to to tell me to get off he would simply squak and he wouldn't get hurt since I'm a pretty light sleeper. He didn't make a sound.

My coworker had warned me yesterday of the dangers, but I pushed it off since he had proven he would make noise and then be fine.

I regret what I did so much and wish I could turn back time. I just need to know if I deserve to keep my job, or even the other birds I have right now, or if I ever deserve to get another conure.

Last edited by a moderator:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I am so sorry for your loss. It is completely normal to feel guilty right now but please know that this unfortunate accident does not make you a bad person. Should you consider another bird in the future the important thing is to learn from this tragedy and remember to take more precautions next time. I am sure your bird knew he was loved. So sorry this happened.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I'm so sorry this happened. I can't even imagine how heartbreaking it was to see, and I hope you're being kind to yourself today. It's not your fault. People like sleeping with their pets--be they cats, dogs, birds, whatever other pet, it's nice to cuddle and sleep with a creature that you love. This is a horrible lesson you've learned, but it's one that you will keep with you forever.

There are so many birds out there who need love, and you clearly loved your bird... don't shut off your heart to birds because of a mistake that you'll never make again. Think of all of the conures sitting in shelters wishing they had a home! If every human who's ever made a mistake decides they don't deserve a bird, those conures will be homeless at shelters forever!

Take the time you need to heal. Try not to blame yourself, as difficult as that is. When you're ready, just know that you deserve to open your heart to another bird.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I'm so ashamed of myself. I'm so guilty for what I've done. I'm considering quitting my bird dream job because I dont think I deserve to work there.

I loved to sleep with my bird snuggling me, it helped me sleep and he always wanted to (I couldnt get him off if I tried). I was aware of the numerous stories of conures ending up dead from this, but i thought if i were careful it wouldnt happen. I also thought since the other day I rolled over on him and he squaked to to tell me to get off he would simply squak and he wouldn't get hurt since I'm a pretty light sleeper. He didn't make a sound.

My coworker had warned me yesterday of the dangers, but I pushed it off since he had proven he would make noise and then be fine.

I regret what I did so much and wish I could turn back time. I just need to know if I deserve to keep my job, or even the other birds I have right now, or if I ever deserve to get another conure.

My condolences.
The thing about us humans is that we're prone to error. What makes a great human is how we deal with our mistakes and learn from them.
I've had pet birds escape before so I know the feeling, i could of prevented that if i was a better guardian. But time heals wounds and you will be wiser from this

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You have my sympathy. But youngster, maybe listen next time when someone gives you some advice. WHen someone tells you don't do something with your parrot(S), they are not doing it to kill your buzz! They are trying to help you not kill your parrot.

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]

My sincere condolences. I am very sure you have been an outstanding loving owner to your conure, treating him like family which non-parronts find weird.
Consider this a lesson, as without mistakes, there are more risks to getting mistakes in the future as you get no lessons to be aware of. My Lovebird, Snowii, has went through life-threatening accidents where she got strangled and such, which taught me a lesson and now she's on the right track. And due to my lack of carefulness, I also lost my female budgie, Luna, And I really wanted to turn back time.
This incident now has made you be more aware, which helps in bird raising.

Give yourself some time to mourn, maybe fate will bring another bird to you in the future~!

Take care, And be careful from now on :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There are fundamental rules in the caring for pets especially small pets that when not followed, terrible things happen. You have learned a heartfelt, but crucial lessen that resulted in the death of your dear Parrot.

The question of "Do you Deserve to be entrusted with another Parrot?" That depends on whether the life of your Parrot has driven this lessen home. Can you be open to learn and put into practice foundational knowledge when provided? A simple yes, may answer the question, but it really deserves a close look at oneself and asking if you have changed.

Owning a Parrot is a lifetime of ongoing learning and applying safe care. Everything from Avian Medical Care, to Diet, all the way to meeting their needs as they age. If you are willing to do that, your goal is achievable.

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You have my sympathy. But youngster, maybe listen next time when someone gives you some advice. WHen someone tells you don't do something with your parrot(S), they are not doing it to kill your buzz! They are trying to help you not kill your parrot.
EXACTLY! You need to listen to people when they warn you about dangers.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023

Losing any pet in a terrible accident is very difficult & I'm sorry for your loss. Owning a bird comes with soooooo much you need to know & it's a huge responsibility for many years. In fact, to own a bird means you must adjust your entire life to your bird's needs & when you are young, this is not so easy to do,, nor is it necessarily wanted. You can't just go on vacation, or a trip for example, without arranging proper care for your bird. The bird needs out of cage interaction for a few hrs. daily. It needs exercise, it needs mental stimulation. It needs toys, it needs a proper diet & it needs clean air to breathe & sunlight & baths besides the right diet. There's various foods & some veggies that are toxic to birds, along with tons of other things like candles, incense, smoke of any kind, spray cleaners, hairspray, perfume, air fresheners, non stick cookware, fireplaces, houseplants, the list goes on. All which can kill your bird instantly. Even if you think you know, you don't know enough & that's the no BS truth. If you are seriously considering getting a bird & making that 20+ yr. commitment, I would first buy books about keeping parrots, I would watch video clips & I would gather as much information as possible beforehand so that you really have a good foundation & know what to do. I would also make sure you have an avian vet nearby to take the bird for basic checkups & what emergency24 hr. vets are around which see birds (super important), because if an emergency situation comes up, you need to get the bird in ASAP. Birds are very fragile, even if they seem like they aren't & they are not a pet for someone who isn't going to be around most of the day to care for them or watch over them, or for someone who likes to go out a lot. Never, ever, ever sleep with a bird-not even a nap! Birds should never, ever be left unattended when out of their cage. You have to keep an eye on them always. Even as a lifelong bird owner myself, I'm never not learning something new to improve their lives. The learning never stops. Good luck & take the time to really think about it & think about where your life is going in the next 10 yrs. first. Perhaps having another one is better suited to when you are older & not having to think about school, college, etc. I'm not gonna' lie, IMO having parrots is best suited to people who work from home, or those who are retired, so they are always around.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Birds should never, ever be left unattended when out of their cage
There are exceptions to this. For example, a bird room or a bird-proofed room. Not saying leave them alone for a day in a non-bird room (even if it is birdproofed), but if a room is closed off and birdproofed and you're somewhere near where you can check on them, it is usually fine. Of course this depends on the species and personality though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts